QB Talk Once Again.... sigh

JetsandI

Just now, ekill08x said:

Agreed. Not to mention Jacksons combined rushing and passing rarely eclipse what Carr throws for each year. Lamar is severely overrated. Great athlete but nowhere close to being worth the money he wants plus the picks the Ravens want for him. I guarantee they don't even get the 2 FRPs when they fail to negotiate a deal. 

I still think they'll get a kings ransom for him, likely from either the Falcons or Panthers. Both of those teams were willing to trade the farm for Watson.

Rodgers to the Jets =Zach as an understudy for 2 more years and learning from a hall of fame QB, and perhaps the Jets make the playoffs, win the East, and make it to the SB and Win.

Carr to the Jets= Zach is done, Jets make it to the playoffs, maybe win the East, maybe make the SB and maybe win.

3 minutes ago, Big T said:

Rodgers to the Jets =Zach as an understudy for 2 more years and learning from a hall of fame QB, and perhaps the Jets make the playoffs, win the East, and make it to the SB and Win.

Carr to the Jets= Zach is done, Jets make it to the playoffs, maybe win the East, maybe make the SB and maybe win.

Except it's not likely to be 2 years. We have to decide on Wilson's 5th year option next offseason. I think we can say with confidence that Wilson wont be in line to start this year if we stay healthy at QB. Meaning with just awful play for 2 years and a year on the bench. We wont pick up his 5th year option. So I expect us to maybe try and trade him next offseason where a team can decide on his 5th year option for themselves. Like we did with Darnold. But since Darnold's play looked better than what Wilsons was. We wont fetch the trade package we did for Darnold. Not even close IMO. We have no trade suitors then yes we are likely stuck with him another year for 2 total more years. Only developmental QB I'd even look into this draft is Hooker. I don't want any other QB besides him for us (besides Stroud and Young who we aren't getting) via draft. Draft a developmental guy next year if we cant get Hooker.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Except it's not likely to be 2 years. We have to decide on Wilson's 5th year option next offseason. I think we can say with confidence that Wilson wont be in line to start this year if we stay healthy at QB. Meaning with just awful play for 2 years and a year on the bench. We wont pick up his 5th year option. So I expect us to maybe try and trade him next offseason where a team can decide on his 5th year option for themselves. Like we did with Darnold. But since Darnold's play looked better than what Wilsons was. We wont fetch the trade package we did for Darnold. Not even close IMO. We have no trade suitors then yes we are likely stuck with him another year for 2 total more years. Only developmental QB I'd even look into this draft is Hooker. I don't want any other QB besides him for us (besides Stroud and Young who we aren't getting) via draft. Draft a developmental guy next year if we cant get Hooker.

Agreed. Rodgers for 2 years till means Zach is done here as does Carr. Getting something is better than nothing, but man did we absolutely blow that decision with the #2 pick and in hindsight should have just proceeded with Darnold even if he isn't the answer either but not trying to get into that discussion. If we trade Zach we are looking at a late day 3 pick next year. 

I also really like Hooker but I like Hooker if we go the Rodgers route. If its Carr, you take a day 3 pick that has upside since we are stuck with Zach.. Cant roll out Strevler. That is not an emergency QB. The QB has to be able to throw. 

Wilson career as a Jet is over. I'm glad this team has move on so fast from him. There is no QB in this draft that is a franchise QB in my eyes. These guys are going to be spot starters and career backups. I think in a few years things will look better at the QB spot and that is when the Jets will need one if they take Carr. If you get a good 4 years out of Carr and you draft a QB in 2024 that gives that QB 2 years to sit and start to play in year 3 and 4. If he does well those 2 years you give him the 5th or sign him to a big franchise deal. 

17 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

Wilson career as a Jet is over. I'm glad this team has move on so fast from him. There is no QB in this draft that is a franchise QB in my eyes. These guys are going to be spot starters and career backups. I think in a few years things will look better at the QB spot and that is when the Jets will need one if they take Carr. If you get a good 4 years out of Carr and you draft a QB in 2024 that gives that QB 2 years to sit and start to play in year 3 and 4. If he does well those 2 years you give him the 5th or sign him to a big franchise deal. 

That is certainly one way to go.  However, I like Wolf's plan (past GB GM).  You draft a QB every year.  That may be a bit extreme, but the sentiment is valid.  It is always good to have an extra starting caliber QB on the roster.  The primary backup must be good enough to not lose.  It is also nice to have a future starting QB waiting in the wings.  Lastly, if he is good enough and the regular starter is not going anywhere, you have some good trade bait.

In the Jets case, I would still look at a day three QB to draft.  Not sure who but there might be someone who has the physical traits but is just raw and needs some seasoning.  It is the same line of reasoning for WR and OT.  Those three positions happen to be the most expensive so having future cheap starters waiting is always a good idea.

Quick vent but the discourse around the Carr hall of Fame comment is very frustrating. It's not surprising that they'd say that, if a QB comes and wins a Superbowl in NY and already had a long career of putting stats on paper, of course they'd be in hall of Fame consideration.

People are talking about this comment like it doesn't contain the word "if" though. It's not some kinda bad look or flashing hyping of a player, it's literally just an enticing "ya know if..." Kind of comment to make the Jets attractive to a QB like Carr. Not sure why people are pretending it's anything otherwise. 

2 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Seem like Jet fans all of a sudden think Carr is a good QB… lol. Dude can’t play in cold weather, New York is literally the worst landing spot for him. Filter Carr’s career stats from Late November to January and it’s what nightmares are made of. 

Been discussed to death on here