QB Talk Once Again.... sigh

JetsandI

14 hours ago, Heymangold said:

Running fast and jumping high/far doesn’t make up for the fact he was like a 54% completion guy in his college career.  This is why I hate the combine.

This guy gets it. The combine means NOTHING to me. I really hope Anthony Richardson is picked before the Jets to push another guy down the list. Some scouts have Richardson #1 QB. Those guys should be fired. No way should the #1 QB in the draft throw under 60% completion rate in college. If you can't complete passes in college how the heck you going to complete passes in the NFL. Jalen Carter might fall out of the top 10 with his arrest and I think JD passes on him. He hates guys that get in trouble. 

2 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Getting hyped up about the combine is like drinking. You swear to yourself you’re never going to drink again then the next social event comes around and you get hammered again. 

So happy I’ve been out of town these last 11 days. Haven’t paid attention 1 bit. But I dislike the combine. Not a fan of how just bc a guy runs, measures, etc. affect their draft stock. Rather than actually watching them in games.

10 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

This guy gets it. The combine means NOTHING to me. I really hope Anthony Richardson is picked before the Jets to push another guy down the list. Some scouts have Richardson #1 QB. Those guys should be fired. No way should the #1 QB in the draft throw under 60% completion rate in college. If you can't complete passes in college how the heck you going to complete passes in the NFL. Jalen Carter might fall out of the top 10 with his arrest and I think JD passes on him. He hates guys that get in trouble. 

I DON'T EVEN WATCH THE COMBINES AFTER VERON GHOLSTON SCORED A PERFECT SCORE IN ALL EVENTS & WAS OUR SIXTH OVERALL PICK IN THE DRAFT AND WAS OUR WORST DRAFT PICK EVER. EVEN BLAIR THOMAS AT LEAST HE HAD SEVERAL GOOD GAMES PLAYING   FOR THE COWBOYS. BUT HE WAS A BUST FOR US.

“Rumor is” that Carr wants us. But knows we’re waiting on Rodgers. So he won’t make a decision until there’s a decision made regarding Rodgers.

So it would appear our 1st option is trading for Rodgers (I’m sure only if the price isn’t absurd). 2nd option go get Carr. And it appears we’re his 1st choice as well.

So looks like no matter what we get a HUGE upgrade at QB.

We will see though. I expect movement to start early this week. My guess is no later than the end of Thursday we know who our QB is.

On 3/4/2023 at 3:48 AM, Bobby816 said:

Make it happen JD!!!

A lot to read into this…. Jeremiah is close to JD. So that’s worth noting. Also the compensation I believe went down a ton when LV backed out. I said a couple weeks ago that GB didn’t set his price if he wants out. The teams trying to trade for him do. At that time LV and us were looked at as really only his 2 big destinations. With them out. GB likely not wanting to trade him to the NFC at all. It has us with the cards now. JD I think knows that and probably hasn’t made an offer GB can’t refuse, so there’s been no concrete agreement when Rodgers informs us of his decision. I do still think the way we find out Rodgers future is in one announcement. Meaning… if he wants to stay in GB or retire, that’s obviously just 1 announcement and move on. What I don’t expect is for him to announce he wants a trade and let that brew for days in the media. I think if he wants a trade, GB gets that trade done asap. And it’s just one big announcement that Rodgers has been traded to team x. Not separate announcements.

Also I think we hear something regarding Rodgers and Carr in the next few days. Make no question they both want a new team before FA opens. To help recruit and build winning rosters. FA opens in 11 days.

Good summary. Gonna be an exciting week.

Was listening to Tammy (our old GM) talk about this Rodgers situation. And he said to make no mistake if he wants a trade it will happen in these coming days.

And here’s why… the team trading for him can’t immediately restructure him. He has around a 50mill cap hit this year. And the team trading for him needs to be under the cap for at least 1 day before FA starts. Meaning we’d have to make our cuts and restructure guys pre FA if we’re trading for him. Bc we have to be under the cap for that 1 day. After that 1 day. We can lower Rodgers cap number by moving money around. But we can’t for that 1 day.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Was listening to Tammy (our old GM) talk about this Rodgers situation. And he said to make no mistake if he wants a trade it will happen in these coming days.

And here’s why… the team trading for him can’t immediately restructure him. He has around a 50mill cap hit this year. And the team trading for him needs to be under the cap for at least 1 day before FA starts. Meaning we’d have to make our cuts and restructure guys pre FA if we’re trading for him. Bc we have to be under the cap for that 1 day. After that 1 day. We can lower Rodgers cap number by moving money around. But we can’t for that 1 day.

The trade needs to happen in the next few days. Otherwise we have to pivot to Derek Carr. Tell your boy in the FO to get it sorted 😉

1 hour ago, KimuraGod said:

The trade needs to happen in the next few days. Otherwise we have to pivot to Derek Carr. Tell your boy in the FO to get it sorted 😉

I expect we know who our QB is by the end of Thursday.

Carr has every right to start pressuring the Jets if we’re his choice. If I’m his camp I tell JD you have until the end Wednesday. If you don’t sign me by then I’m going elsewhere.

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

All teams must get under the cap by the first day of new league year.  Any time a team acquires Rodgers, cap charge for him should be 60m due to option bonus not being exercised.  I believe cap charge of traded contract is frozen for one full day, I am not sure but it is indeed challenging.   The cap charge will be reduced once the option is exercised via prorated bonus.

Signing Carr is easiest, salary compliance-wise.

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I expect we know who our QB is by the end of Thursday.

Carr has every right to start pressuring the Jets if we’re his choice. If I’m his camp I tell JD you have until the end Wednesday. If you don’t sign me by then I’m going elsewhere.

Why Thursday? 

Yeah if Carr wants to come here then he needs to give JD a deadline for sure. 

40 minutes ago, KimuraGod said:

Why Thursday? 

Yeah if Carr wants to come here then he needs to give JD a deadline for sure. 

Because a team is going to need that day to be under the cap and have a game plan going into FA. Money can be moved and such... But no one is really talking about how Carr is likely costing around 35mill and that Rodgers can be had for only 15mill against the cap. That's a 20mill difference. That's the difference of 2 big signings we could make. Don't see us not knowing that until Saturday and we need to start making pitches 36 hours later.

Also both QBs have said they want a new team before FA. They want to help in decisions with the roster and recruit guys and such. I expect something sooner rather than later.