Who Do We Bring Back Next Year? [Cap Discussion] [Jernigan Contract Pg. 4]

JayWood2010

First of all, I think there is no way the Eagles cut Peters. He just got a 2 year extension and some guaranteed money, and he was an elite tackle before his injury. He is a freak, even at 36 years old. That would be a 5m saving btw. 

So obvious cap casualties:

• Torrey Smith +5m
  • Brent Celek +4m (although I hope he is then resigned for a veteran minimum or close to that as I love the guy)
  • Chance Warmack +1.25m (I think he is gone and is replaced by a cheap draftee)
  • Total: 10.25m

Restructures

• Mychal Kendricks has two more years 16.2m remaining, but only 3.2m guaranteed. Extend him with another year and give him a 5-6m signing bonus and that can save  2.5m (7.6m-->5.1m) in cap space depending on the structure for 2018.
  • Brandon Graham, practically the same. Extend him and give him a 3 year extension with a ~12m signing bonus. 2.5m saving (7.5m -->5m)
  • Brooks has 3 more years, around 30m but only 6.6m in guarantees. So there is also some room for converting his non-g salary into a signing bonus. Although that is a dangerous game, Brooks' salary is structured in a way, that 2018 cap hit is the most expensive out of the three so that is absolutely possible, so you can save 2m (10.7m -->8.7m) if you give him 3m signing bonus. 
  • Absolutely the same with Jenkins, 3 years, 29m remaining (10-9.75-9.25), but only 4.5m guaranteed. 2018 is the most expensive, so the same game applies as for Brooks. Convert 4.5m let's say and save 3m next year (7-11.25-10.75)
  • Total: 10m

Potential trade candidates

• Vinny Curry would save the team 5m, but I am not advocating this move based on his play. 

So that 20m without Curry brings the Eagles from minus 3m to 17m cap space. 

Order for me:

• Jeffery 10m per annum on average is pretty much the starting point, but his future contract could be backloaded with a smaller cap hit in 2018. I also would try to give him a shorter contract with a smaller total figure but almost exclusively guaranteed. Like a 3 year/30m, 27m guaranteed. In this way he could have the chance to cash in again at age 30 for another free agent contract.  Let's say 7m for 2018
  • Bradham (No idea what he will command, but it should be not that hefty. There is a reason he wasn't signed to a bigger contract. I am also confident he wants to remain in a familiar scheme.) Let's say 5m for 2018 on a two year contract. 
  • Allen (2-3m for 2018, I think he is a priority as the first DT coming from the bench) Let's say 2.5m for 2018
  • Burton (1-2m for 2018, and that may not be enough. Billy Brown could take over his place as a receiving threat.) Let's say 1.5m for 2018
  • Robinson (Based on his play I can see some other team overpaying for his services. He was nothing short of awesome during 2017, but we have our top 4 cornerbacks for next year. I think he walks.

Bonus FA prediction

The Eagles sign FA Jordan Matthews to replace Torrey Smith. :)

Although your suggestions are relatively solid @furti, and I would love for the majority of them to take place, expecting multiple good players to restructure instead of getting a new deal can be difficult. But as we all know, Howie is a wizard. So we'll see what happens. I don't want much turnover from this year to next, so I hope you're right. 

9 minutes ago, 808 said:

Although your suggestions are relatively solid @furti, and I would love for the majority of them to take place, expecting multiple good players to restructure instead of getting a new deal can be difficult. But as we all know, Howie is a wizard. So we'll see what happens. I don't want much turnover from this year to next, so I hope you're right. 

There are always two sides, so if the guys are not getting what they think they deserve, then it doesn't matter what Howie wants them to do. Just checked, and in the last year the following guys have restructured their contracts. 

Jason Peters, Rodney McLeod, Zach Ertz, Brent Celek, Chase Daniel and Connor Barwin wanted to, but he got the axe. 

Just now, furti said:

There are always two sides, so if the guys are not getting what they think they deserve, then it doesn't matter what Howie wants them to do. Just checked, and in the last year the following guys have restructured their contracts. 

Jason Peters, Rodney McLeod, Zach Ertz, Brent Celek, Chase Daniel and Connor Barwin wanted to, but he got the axe. 

That is true. Looking at that list, two were in their prime (McLeod, Ertz), two were past their prime (Peters, Celek) and the last two are gone. We're going to have trouble keeping everyone happy while staying super competitive. We're going to need to draft well and/or expect key guys to take less money than they could make elsewhere/feel they deserve. 

1 hour ago, 808 said:

FIFY

He's not sudden/agile enough to start outside, imo. He's kinda like a Hank Baskett mixed with Celeks run-after-the-catch style. Occasionally going to have a big play, but most db's are sticking in his pocket just about all game.

We need to draft a #2 (Ridley/Kirk/Pettis/Chark/J Smith/Gallup/Cobbs Jr./Tre'Quan Smith/Cain/Wieneke) or maybe even a #1 (Courtland Sutton/James Washington/Anthony Johnson?) that bumps Alshon over to #2.

The bolded are guys I'm personally hoping for (For now, at least), because all of them are either really fast or have a nice size/speed/hands combo.

Honestly I dont see Alshon Pricing himself out of philly. He knows Wentz is something special and he's not going to get that anywhere else. I can see him relatively around 10-13 Million to stay. 

Patrick Robinson im fine letting walk unless he signs for a eagle friendly deal, We have depth at corner so its not a big loss if he goes. 

Nigel Bradham will get around 6-7+ Million easily. LBS Last year (Jamie Collins 4 Years/50 Million - Crazy) (Donta Hightower 4 Year/ 43.5 Million) my opinion not worth more then 7 million a season. 

I hope they finally give Celek walking papers so tired of him on the team, he can block and occasionally receive but hes not a threat or playmaker. Sooo many good TE's coming out of college that could do so much more and be productive and complimentary to Ertz.  Imagine a Ertz and Gisecki Combo plus gisecki can be had for a 3rd rounder maybe 4th depending on combine, Which i hope eagles trade out of first unless barkley falls past the top 5 then trade first and next years first for him  and include curry for the cap room lol

1 minute ago, Phire said:

Maybe Alshon gives us a "discount" because he likes it here. But also remember he took a 1-year deal to bet on himself to hopefully cash in at the end of it.

I dont think the WR market is going to payout again this year its not the 2019 Class. Biggest contract i can see will be Landry or Jefferey MAX 14 Million

Top WRs:

Jefferey

Pryor (Who looks horrible)

Watkins (Health?)

Marqise Lee (Not a #1)

Allen Robinson (JAX aint lettin him go)

Jarvis Landry (Productive in a horrible MIA Offense)

17 hours ago, 808 said:

Option A without looking at the cap figures. I'll check over the cap and get back to you

Cutting each player and how much they save

Peters || ~$6 Million
Celek || $4 Million
Smith || $5 Million
Curry || $5.25 Million

I think they're all worth cutting aside Curry in my opinion.

Robinson is likely gone so you're looking at. Bradham, Alshon, Curry

52 minutes ago, IrishHooligan00 said:

Honestly I dont see Alshon Pricing himself out of philly. He knows Wentz is something special and he's not going to get that anywhere else. I can see him relatively around 10-13 Million to stay. 

Patrick Robinson im fine letting walk unless he signs for a eagle friendly deal, We have depth at corner so its not a big loss if he goes. 

Nigel Bradham will get around 6-7+ Million easily. LBS Last year (Jamie Collins 4 Years/50 Million - Crazy) (Donta Hightower 4 Year/ 43.5 Million) my opinion not worth more then 7 million a season. 

I hope they finally give Celek walking papers so tired of him on the team, he can block and occasionally receive but hes not a threat or playmaker. Sooo many good TE's coming out of college that could do so much more and be productive and complimentary to Ertz.  Imagine a Ertz and Gisecki Combo plus gisecki can be had for a 3rd rounder maybe 4th depending on combine, Which i hope eagles trade out of first unless barkley falls past the top 5 then trade first and next years first for him  and include curry for the cap room lol

Eagles are not getting Barkley, nor do they need him.

Even if Eagles move on from Blount, they still have both Ajayi, and Clement.

I think the RB position is going to be our budget position. So you can kiss the idea of a 3-down workhorse star player at the position goodbye in my opinion. We're obviously expending significant resources to OL and DL. That's the correct move. And if we bring back Alshon, that's a big contract there too.

The big question is what happens when Carson Wentz gets his franchise QB contract.

I think we'll continue to run the RB position like the Patriots do. That is, you don't have one star player there, but you're 3-4 players deep and any one of them can be called upon to perform. That's literally what we've been doing this year, just with a bunch of bigger backs. 

In the salary cap era there has to be a position or two or three that suffers from a lack of funding. Runningback makes the most sense. They get big contracts because they become household players but they also have the shortest shelf-life in the sport and 95% of them fall off a cliff as they near 30 years of age.

Archived