The Josh Jacobs Decision

RaidersAreOne

What would you do with Jacobs?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do with Jacobs?

• Re-sign him, likely for 3-4 years and top ~5-8 pay. Our O would be totally screwed without him.
    • Franchise tag him for one season, run him into the ground, then move on. We need him around but can't commit to him.
    • Let him walk, don't tie up big $ long-term for an oft-injured RB. Collect that comp pick!
    • Other

11 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Looking at it carefully, the FO turned down Jacobs fifth year option and told him to ‘prove it’ and in fairness he went out and proved it. He couldn’t have dove more from his end of the bargain. I wouldn’t normally want to pay a RB as @big_palooka says above but he is such a big part of the offence and truthfully our OLine is average to believe average so I think it’s optimistic to think you can just plug any old RB in and get the same production. Jacobs has relatively low wear and is still young so feasibly we should get at least two maybe three very good years out of him and he can be a good crutch if we do bring in a rookie QB. I totally understand the sentiment not to pay a RB but I think he just edged into being worth it. 

Worth 14 million a year?

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Worth 14 million a year?

I think just. It’s a tough one though, and I can understand if we let him go. I think he was the backbone of the offence last year plus he was good in pass protection too which maybe a younger guy could struggle with. 

I guess he’s more worth 14 than Chandler was worth 17 and probably more than Garoppolo is worth 27 or whatever we’re paying him. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Darbsk said:

I think just. It’s a tough one though, and I can understand if we let him go. I think he was the backbone of the offence last year plus he was good in pass protection too which maybe a younger guy could struggle with. 

I guess he’s more worth 14 than Chandler was worth 17 and probably more than Garoppolo is worth 27 or whatever we’re paying him. 

I would rather trade Jacobs, suck for a year, get a top QB in the draft, and use that money to sign a top FA RB next year if we wanted to spend money on a free agent RB.  Giving Jacobs $14 million wastes money we could use next year in FA and also lessens our chances of getting a top pick more so than the chances he makes us a playoff team.  I would blow this thing up and play for next year.

5 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Hilarious how Barkley is holding out as well. Yet all the clickbait, anger and sarcasm is directed at the Raiders in the same position. 

It probably has a great dead to do with the Giants having offered 13/year (14/year with incentives). What exactly have the Raiders offered? $10.1 for 1 year?

if I’m Jacobs, Training camp in the Vegas heat is something to avoid if not under long term contract 

Both outcomes will have criticism.

We either look bad in 2-3 years extending a RB passed his 8th season

or alienate one of the best players on the team by not giving him a deal

On 7/13/2023 at 5:14 PM, NCOUGHMAN said:

I would hold out too. Wtf you don’t have $ for jj but you put 2 almost 3x’s his salary on the shelf for a qb “if” he passes his physical. Esp after paying waller and carr then releasing them. “Bad business” imo. Not to mention chandler’s scholarship fund and that wr from the pats. 

100 percent.  Our front office and HC are total idiots. 

Everyone in the world knows that the O will run through Jacobs considering we have a below average QB, Oline and bottom 3 D.  Without Jacobs this team is a lock to pick top 3 pick.  Jacobs has all the power here and both he and his agent know this.  

The plan is to run Jacobs into the ground this season and next and if I was Jacobs agent I would be looking at a 4 year contract so when he is ran into the ground he is still getting paid top dollar.  No way I would suit up for this ****burger team without a 4 year deal in place with some solid, guaranteed $$$$.  

4 year contract or demand a trade to a contending team that will pay him, it's that simple.  

Lets say they both play hardball and the holdout goes into the regular season, the most likely scenario is a 0 and 2/3 start where the backlash and pressure on JM will force him to pay Jacobs or his HC job will be toast.  This is another thing that Jacobs and his agent know once again giving him all the power here.  There is no way Jacobs gives in here and both he and the Raiders know this.  He will either get the deal he wants or get traded. 

Edited by Frankie2Gunz

16 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

I would rather trade Jacobs, suck for a year, get a top QB in the draft, and use that money to sign a top FA RB next year if we wanted to spend money on a free agent RB.  Giving Jacobs $14 million wastes money we could use next year in FA and also lessens our chances of getting a top pick more so than the chances he makes us a playoff team.  I would blow this thing up and play for next year.

He's a RB with no elite skills. His trade value would be low and doubtful anyone else would want to pay him either. 

3 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

100 percent.  Our front office and HC are total idiots. 

Everyone in the world knows that the O will run through Jacobs considering we have a below average QB, Oline and bottom 3 D.  Without Jacobs this team is a lock to pick top 3 pick.  Jacobs has all the power here and both he and his agent know this.  

The plan is to run Jacobs into the ground this season and next and if I was Jacobs agent I would be looking at a 4 year contract so when he is ran into the ground he is still getting paid top dollar.  No way I would suit up for this ****burger team without a 4 year deal in place with some solid, guaranteed $$$$.  

4 year contract or demand a trade to a contending team that will pay him, it's that simple.  

Lets say they both play hardball and the holdout goes into the regular season, the most likely scenario is a 0 and 2/3 start where the backlash and pressure on JM will force him to pay Jacobs or his HC job will be toast.  This is another thing that Jacobs and his agent know once again giving him all the power here.  There is no way Jacobs gives in here and both he and the Raiders know this.  He will either get the deal he wants or get traded. 

I guess every FO who doesn't pay RBs are total idiots? I would think the teams that paid RBs would confess they wish they hadn't. Gurley, Zeke, Cook, Mixon, etc. The Titans were even rumored to want to trade Henry to get out of his contract. RB is devalued. 

No contender is going to pay Jacobs more than what he would make on a franchise tag. There are 4 quality back in FA right now who can't get paid. Teams don't trade for RBs and don't pay RBs. 

Jacobs and his agent have little power here. He is a low commodity item with little trade value and no team is going to pay him much over the franchise tag. He's not stupid enough to pass on money, so he will be ready week 1. 

Stop acting like teams don't have players playing on the franchise tag every year to support narratives of you not liking the current staff.  

20 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I guess every FO who doesn't pay RBs are total idiots? I would think the teams that paid RBs would confess they wish they hadn't. Gurley, Zeke, Cook, Mixon, etc. The Titans were even rumored to want to trade Henry to get out of his contract. RB is devalued. 

No contender is going to pay Jacobs more than what he would make on a franchise tag. There are 4 quality back in FA right now who can't get paid. Teams don't trade for RBs and don't pay RBs. 

Jacobs and his agent have little power here. He is a low commodity item with little trade value and no team is going to pay him much over the franchise tag. He's not stupid enough to pass on money, so he will be ready week 1. 

Stop acting like teams don't have players playing on the franchise tag every year to support narratives of you not liking the current staff.  

I think they are idiots for multiple other reasons.  They took a playoff team that played with passion, grit and heart, turned them into an embarrassment that regressed and played with no passion or heart.  Their record reflected how poor the coaching was.  They extended Carr and Waller, who were both assets and leaders on this team, only to move on one year later.  What did this great front office net in compensation?  They netted only a 3rd round pick and incurred a 6M cap hit.  That is flat out incompetence that only a simpleton would condone.  We had 45M in cap space and are fielding a roster for the upcoming season that one can argue is worse than last seasons.  

Now onto Jacobs. You are incorrect as to who has the power unless JM has been guaranteed a third season which is something that none of us can prove so for the sake of this argument we will assume that is not the case.  I say Jacobs has the power because he knows that the HC's career is on the line and without him on the field this team will be picking top three.  Can you imagine how giddy a D coordinator would be facing the Raiders knowing they are playing noodle armed, glass bum like Jimmy G with no threat of the run and a bottom 3 D?  Wooooo, that is a fun week to be a D coordinator.  Pin your ears back, send  the house and make Jimmy G beat you.  That is a nearly guaranteed victory on a weekly basis.  

I do agree that the RB market is soft but that doesn't negate Jacobs having the power.  Everyone knows he will be the focal point of this O and without him carrying the load this team and JM are doomed which both Jacobs and his agent know.  In my opinion they are doomed with or without him but having him on the field certainly adds a dynamic to this team that White or any other bum backup RB we have can't come close to replicating.  Six wins may give JM a glimmer of hope for a 3rd year which would be my ceiling of wins with Jacobs but without him this team is looking at three or four wins which would most certainly lead to JM losing his job.   

So if you believe I am incorrect and the Raiders have the power you must be under the impression that JM is untouchable for this upcoming season and will be the coach next year regardless of what his record is.  if that is the case show me one ounce of proof.  

Jacobs is young, healthy, coming off a career year, in the prime of his career knows that the downgrade at the QB position will lead to more stacked boxes, which leads to an increase for potential injury and a regression in production.  Jacobs should hold his ground and if he has to sit heading into the regular season he must do so.  He should not play on the tag, call JM's bluff and if he is not traded and this team starts out 0 and 2/3 he will get exactly what he wants or JM will with certainly get canned and never sniff a HC gig ever again. 

Edited by Frankie2Gunz