The Josh Jacobs Decision

RaidersAreOne

What would you do with Jacobs?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do with Jacobs?

• Re-sign him, likely for 3-4 years and top ~5-8 pay. Our O would be totally screwed without him.
    • Franchise tag him for one season, run him into the ground, then move on. We need him around but can't commit to him.
    • Let him walk, don't tie up big $ long-term for an oft-injured RB. Collect that comp pick!
    • Other

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

GTD money

Yeh, probably and I’m kinda on the FO side here, you have to be very, very careful with paying the RB position. Having said that, because we’ve drafted so poorly we don’t really have anyone to extend do we?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Yeh, probably and I’m kinda on the FO side here, you have to be very, very careful with paying the RB position. Having said that, because we’ve drafted so poorly we don’t really have anyone to extend do we?

There's a human element to football, building a culture, and locker room dynamics. Dogging out a 1st team All-Pro that put the team on his back isn't a good look.

• Like 1

I've never been in the camp of paying RB's unless that player is in their prime and uber elite like AP.  I also think the RB position is one of the most important on the field and is the position with the shortest shelf life.  It's a very interesting situation and I think one of the biggest factors here is that Jacobs doesn't believe in the direction that the team is going which is one of the main reasons he's playing hard ball.  

If this was a playoff caliber team with a stable coaching situation, I would venture to say JJ would be in camp just like Barkly is.  JJ and his agent know how critical he is to this team and without him on the field the team, JM/DZ are in deep trouble.  

Everyone knows what the game plan is this year and that is to run the O through Jacobs and run him into the ground.  He is in line for another heavy work load and with Jimmy G back there will face more stacked boxes, increasing his potential for injury.  He knows his time to get paid is now and he wants that guaranteed cash.

It's early in camp and him not being on the field is not critical at this point.  As this drags on and we get closer to the season this becomes a bigger issue.  Getting in "game shape" and building chemistry with the new QB can all be affected by a lengthy holdout.  

The big question is if JJ holds out into the regular season and this team starts out terribly (0 and 3/4) does JM/DZ cave and give him what he wants because their jobs will be on the line? Then the other question becomes if we are 4 or 5 weeks into the season and JJ suits up how effective will he be missing so much time?  At that point it could be too late.  

The longer this drags on the uglier it becomes.  I can understand both stances here but if I was JM I would pay the man knowing that without him on the field the odds of still being the coach next season drop significantly.  This is the main thing JJ and his agent are banking on.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NYRaider said:

There's a human element to football, building a culture, and locker room dynamics. Dogging out a 1st team All-Pro that put the team on his back isn't a good look.

Not sure what you mean by ‘dogging out’ but as I’ve said previously, you need to look like you’re rewarding players who perform and look after the best players, however, it’s also a business and without knowing the full details it seems like we made a competitive offer. You have to be careful not to cave into excessive demands too so it’s a fine line you tread. I think 12 million is more than fair on the surface, he’s earned a good pay day and 12 mil would be it IMO.

(Dogging means something wholly different in this part of the world 😂😂)

On 7/29/2023 at 3:49 PM, Darbsk said:

Not sure what you mean by ‘dogging out’ but as I’ve said previously, you need to look like you’re rewarding players who perform and look after the best players, however, it’s also a business and without knowing the full details it seems like we made a competitive offer. You have to be careful not to cave into excessive demands too so it’s a fine line you tread. I think 12 million is more than fair on the surface, he’s earned a good pay day and 12 mil would be it IMO.

(Dogging means something wholly different in this part of the world 😂😂)

It means that you're treating them unfairly. AAV means nothing for a contract, GTD money is what matters, and the lack of GTD money is why JJ was upset with their offer. Dude just had a first team all-pro season and wants to get paid. They put themselves in this position when they declined his 5th year option last summer, something I said was an idiotic move.

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

It means that you're treating them unfairly. AAV means nothing for a contract, GTD money is what matters, and the lack of GTD money is why JJ was upset with their offer. Dude just had a first team all-pro season and wants to get paid. They put themselves in this position when they declined his 5th year option last summer, something I said was an idiotic move.

I heard they offered 22.5M guaranteed 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

You really think Jacobs wouldn't have held out for a new contract even if they picked up his 5th year option. He would have been due 8M under the option, clearly he wants more and still would have held out coming off the year he had. In a way he's getting a 2M raise under the franchise tag.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Ah, Ok I see. With regard the 5th year option, yes it should probably have been given of course and you did say that all along, credit where credit is due. However, I kinda agree with @raidr4life that he would have held out anyway after the season he just had.

I'll say this.... the Raiders could win a lot of good will right now taking care of Jacobs.

With all the attention the RB issue is getting, players commenting, etc. they could get a lot of good PR with a commitment. 

It's funny, because Al Davis would have paid him instantly. He could care less about trends, markets, value, etc. He would just take care of his own. Of course, Jerry is that way too and hence the mistake signing Zeke to a record deal.  

• Like 1