Cut or keep 2023?

LoganF89

15 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

You really think he’d get more than $5M per? I mean, you have to wonder how he operates outside of this system so I can’t see any other team outbidding us for him. 

Idk $10-12 just feels right to me.  That would have made him the 18th highest paid QB in the league this year, which seems kind of high but salaries will go up next year.  Mariota got over $9 mil per year with the Falcons and he's terrible. 

• Like 3

It's obvious that with the Commanders winning and in playoff contention, Ron Rviera isn't going anywhere. 

Is someone familiar with the system a bad thing? I just think our QB situation is a bit complex. Carson Wentz didn't workout. Heinicke is winning. Howell could have promise, but with Heinicke as a free agent, keeping him is going to cost more than his current contract and could easily see him at $15M for 2 years. Maybe even a 1 year deal at $12M. 

I don't believe in creating cap space just to do so, but I do have issue with players taking up cap space when they are not on the field. 

Trade Montez Sweat, why not? He is jumping to  $11M in 2023 and there might be first round value for him to avoid the large contract or even haveing him walk after 2023 and getting nothing in return. 

But the offensive line needs a lot of help and that is where i start first. 

3 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Devil's advocate - the more Wentz doesn't play, the more this organization says "What if?" and he's around next year.

If they are that stupid based on their decision from this season to start Heinicke over a healthy Wentz after screaming "This is Our Guy" when they acquired Wentz, and after winning with Heinicke this season, I just don't see how you can possibly make that decision. 

4 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Devil's advocate - the more Wentz doesn't play, the more this organization says "What if?" and he's around next year.

I think he's gone. They can't afford to lose more players over him. Scherff and Flowers are gone because of Wentz. They're definitely feeling that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

I think he's gone. They can't afford to lose more players over him. Scherff and Flowers are gone because of Wentz. They're definitely feeling that. 

Scherff didn't want to resign. He made that clear. The Flowers thing still gets me. As far as I know he is still available and we aren't calling... why? Trai Turner has been a downgrade and Norwell is probably a wash for Flowers. 

19 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Scherff didn't want to resign. He made that clear. The Flowers thing still gets me. As far as I know he is still available and we aren't calling... why? Trai Turner has been a downgrade and Norwell is probably a wash for Flowers. 

Flowers was a better pass blocker but I think our current guards are better at run blocking. 

• Like 2

I’m not cutting Roullier loose. He’s too solid a player at a critical position, and it’s a spot where guys can continue to play well into later years because you don’t necessarily have to be a world-class athlete to be effective there. Absolutely injury prone, but so is his likely replacement (Larsen) — we’ve just gotta hope that one of these years, that duo will be healthy enough to get us through a full season without having to dip deeper into the roster. 

I think parting with Logan Thomas and hoping to draft Michael Mayer as an instant replacement seems very on-brand for this regime. They are very straight-line thinkers, and I absolutely envision them leaving themselves certain “must-have” positions, as they’ve done in the last couple seasons where it was basically pre-ordained which positions they were going to take in the first two rounds (LB/OT in 2021 and WR/DT this year). Could easily see a scenario where they’re basically locked in to CB/TE in some order this year, for example. 

I think unless something falls in their lap at QB prior to FA, you have to keep Heinicke. Even just as a place-holder, with hopes that Howell or perhaps another young QB can mount a real challenge. It’s very depressing to say that, but barring something unexpected, what are you going to do? Another (more expensive) lateral move to a QB who needs to learn the lay of the land, like Wentz?

I’ve said my piece on Payne, I think they should keep him. I didn’t think that for a couple years, but I’ve re-evaluated. He’s at the level, and age, where letting him walk for basically nothing just can’t be the move. 

I think Holcomb is the toughest call of all. In a perfect world, you’d want to upgrade. But is that option going to present itself? The MLB landscape is a barren wasteland around the league for the most part, and an “average” player at a reasonable cost might be the best they can do. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I’m not cutting Roullier loose. He’s too solid a player at a critical position, and it’s a spot where guys can continue to play well into later years because you don’t necessarily have to be a world-class athlete to be effective there. Absolutely injury prone, but so is his likely replacement (Larsen) — we’ve just gotta hope that one of these years, that duo will be healthy enough to get us through a full season without having to dip deeper into the roster. 

I think parting with Logan Thomas and hoping to draft Michael Mayer as an instant replacement seems very on-brand for this regime. They are very straight-line thinkers, and I absolutely envision them leaving themselves certain “must-have” positions, as they’ve done in the last couple seasons where it was basically pre-ordained which positions they were going to take in the first two rounds (LB/OT in 2021 and WR/DT this year). Could easily see a scenario where they’re basically locked in to CB/TE in some order this year, for example. 

I think unless something falls in their lap at QB prior to FA, you have to keep Heinicke. Even just as a place-holder, with hopes that Howell or perhaps another young QB can mount a real challenge. It’s very depressing to say that, but barring something unexpected, what are you going to do? Another (more expensive) lateral move to a QB who needs to learn the lay of the land, like Wentz?

I’ve said my piece on Payne, I think they should keep him. I didn’t think that for a couple years, but I’ve re-evaluated. He’s at the level, and age, where letting him walk for basically nothing just can’t be the move. 

I think Holcomb is the toughest call of all. In a perfect world, you’d want to upgrade. But is that option going to present itself? The MLB landscape is a barren wasteland around the league for the most part, and an “average” player at a reasonable cost might be the best they can do. 

"I think parting with Logan Thomas and hoping to draft Michael Mayer as an instant replacement seems very on-brand for this regime"

It does doesn't it lol. However, I just want them to draft him regardless. I think, if he's even available, he'd be the best player on the board. I'd be stoked with Bijan though. I think I probably like Porter Jr and Cam Smith the best out of the corners.