2023 NFL Draft

Crimmage

Here are some of the potential 3rd down backs. I like at this time.

___________________________________________________________________________________--

1.He my guy right now. 🤙  Kenny Mcintosh He can play all downs if needed. Plays major competition which is a major plus.

Kenny McIntosh || Georgia Bulldogs Running Back || 2022 Senior Highlights - YouTube 

2.  Chase Brown  Reminds me of James White smooth as silk. Catches with ease.

Chase Brown || Illinois Fighting Illini Running Back || 2022 Senior Highlights - YouTube

3.   MarShawn Lloyd  Plays against  major competition. Quickness after catch. Can play 4 downs if needed. Comes from school that bleeds offense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0KSx5t1L60

4. Austin Jones     Payed by USC to play for Riley !!!! I trust his scouting!!!!

Austin Jones Highlights - YouTube

5.  Tyjae Spears   Small school player.  Maybe diamond in the ruff.   *** I don't waste a 4th RD pick on a CC player, hoping he turn into a NFL player ++++

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDgWrasAKW0

**************************************************************************************************** 👀👀👀🤣🤣

LAST BUT NOT LEAST .

Shaun Shivers, perfect name based on his game.

A total insane RB!!!!!!!

He is absolutely nuts. I LOVE HIS GAME.  I don't know anything about him , not sure if he can catch, its looks like it based on BIOs I've read. He transferred from Auburn. I always like their players . Not so sure now maybe that's why he transferred.  He's small and powerful with 4.3 speed, if he can catch/ST he could have major upside.

I tell you this it exciting to watch him.... take a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWqbNtAOXVg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsM2oQPrQ_0

Shaun Shivers career Highlights - YouTube

Edited by m haynes
  • Like 1

He would look really good in the slot in New England. Combine is going to determine a lot for him.. his 40 could push him into that 20-30 range (if he is in the 4.3 range).. or i'd say mid 2nd round makes sense. 

Either way, I think he will end up being a great pro player. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, m haynes said:

Here are some of the potential 3rd down backs. I like at this time.

___________________________________________________________________________________--

1.He my guy right now. 🤙  Kenny Mcintosh He can play all downs if needed. Plays major competition which is a major plus.

Kenny McIntosh || Georgia Bulldogs Running Back || 2022 Senior Highlights - YouTube 

I love him and think BB will love him too. He really likes Georgia and will put a lot of emphasis on them. 

Another guy I would add to that list is Deuce Vaughn out of KSU

4 hours ago, Crimmage said:

He would look really good in the slot in New England. Combine is going to determine a lot for him.. his 40 could push him into that 20-30 range (if he is in the 4.3 range).. or i'd say mid 2nd round makes sense. 

Either way, I think he will end up being a great pro player. 

He's a player I can't get an handle on. His (eye test) movement seems (tight) restrictive , than he look acrobatic. Like you said combine and bowl game will give us a better view.

5 hours ago, Crimmage said:

Deuce Vaughn out of KSU

I have only seen him on videos.  I see him as a UDFA.  What concerns me is his size and I don't see anything that will give him an edge. I think he can play but concerned with him playing at the next level.  Again that just on vids I watched. 

He might kill it at combine and bowl games that will change my mind.  He doesn't every thing right but again size. I checked he runs a 4.45 40. IMO he need to show elite speed at that size.

It's  a shame, he has (complete) game but size will be a major issue .

Edited by m haynes

2 hours ago, m haynes said:

I have only seen him on videos.  I see him as a UDFA.  What concerns me is his size and I don't see anything that will give him an edge. I think he can play but concerned with him playing at the next level.  Again that just on vids I watched. 

He might kill it at combine and bowl games that will change my mind.  He doesn't every thing right but again size. I checked he runs a 4.45 40. IMO he need to show elite speed at that size.

It's  a shame, he has (complete) game but size will be a major issue .

Yup, I was thinking somewhere mid day 3 but he could easily be a UDFA. He reminds me of Danny Woodhead.. he has talent and makes plays.. but people will always discount him based on his size. 

Given the investment the team made at RB last draft, I think it's unlikely we see a day 1/2 pick at the position. Highest likelihood would be 4th round, just because they have so many 4th rounders. They made a point to sign Kevin Harris off the practice squad to a 4 year deal.. they must like him a lot and want to lock him up instead of keeping him on a yearly deal on the practice squad. This also all depends on how Pierre Strong develops.. he is an insane athlete. If you fix the OL and he develops as a pass protector, he can be a huge weapon. The RB room has the potential to be really great next year, especially if Montgomery is healthy

Looked at the DL/NT that will fit Pats scheme. So far very little after the top rated which is basically 2 players. Ouch!! Pats DL needs a major overhaul, they are getting old. 

There is a Florida guy however I hate players from that school.  There's a curse with that school when it come to the draft!!!! I would never draft a FLA player! Screw you Gus Scott 😁

Here are two players that fit.

1. Keeanu Benton, Defensive Lineman, Wisconsin Badgers.

https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/news/keeanubenton

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0mVK6CsZKM   Keep an eye on the 1.99 mark. Wow

• Plays DL/NT for Wisconsin and they had many LB's go in the draft with him in DL front. I like players from this school they are farm boy tough.
  • Big and can move up down the line.
  • We need his skill to go along with Barmore.
  • He's DT  if needed.  I don't see him playing more than 2 downs however he does give you options.

ADDED  Watch teammate Isaiah Mullens #99. He shows on tape.

----------------------------------------------

2. Siaki Ika  NT Baylor.

https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/news/siakiika

• Considered the best in the draft.
  • Only 2 down player which I'm not thrilled about in today's NFL.  IMO NT has to give you more.
  • I'm concerned with him at the next level. They say he can move for his size however I don't see it working in the NFL.
  • Don't over draft for need with this player.  I say only if he fall to the 4th. Maybe lower.

Edited by m haynes

I'm having a hard time reading the NT position.. primarily because last year seemed to have a bunch of depth and nobody cared. If I recall correctly multiple guys who were expected to go early day 3 ended up becoming UDFA's. BUT, this year teams have been able to run like crazy.. so is the league transitioning back to a bit more run defense? I'm 50/50 on the matter but think once the playoffs start teams will go back to only caring about the pass and these guys will drop in the draft. If you're asking me to spend a 2nd round pick on a 2 down player, no thank you.. but if it's a 4th/5th for Ika i'm all over that pick. 

It's also possible that they really just like the Godchaux / Davis combo. They extended Godchaux this year for good money.. so he isn't going anywhere. Carl Davis is a bubble guy but is cheap and probably not going anywhere if you want to keep him.. so they may want to address other needs. I'm curious if Sam Roberts can develop into something on the DL too. 

I'm most curious about who is going to be Lawrence Guy's replacement. He is signed for 2 more years, but do you really think he's going to be playing well age 33/34? 

2 hours ago, Crimmage said:

asking me to spend a 2nd round pick on a 2 down player, no thank you.. but if it's a 4th/5th for Ika i'm all over that pick. 

I agree 99%

DL is down on the list of needs for the Pats unless they lose out. Then they need to look to see if one of the elite DL fall to them.  BB will or have to trade down for a left tackle becasue I don't see a elite one in the draft. Unless you think Peter Skoronski OT Northwestern can play OT at 6'4". I think he's the best OL in the draft.

I would look at pick 104 if there are no other players that fill a need. I don't reach for potential if you have a player that will help on day one. That's why I like  Keeanu Benton IMO draft him he plays day one. Last thing I want is another CC reach based on (speed) trait.  I have zero faith that Strong will ever work out. Waste of a pick now they need to find someone again for 2023.  What will happen they will go for a stop gap for low money, maybe a vet.  I hate that now you looking a 3 years not filling the position.  Strong's offense  plays in college were drawn with crayons!!!

2 hours ago, Crimmage said:

I'm most curious about who is going to be Lawrence Guy's replacement. He is signed for 2 more years, but do you really think he's going to be playing well age 33/34?

I see a major problem in the future. Age is a real issue the DL 99% are over 28 years old and they need a upgrade of talent.  I don't wait to replace them.  Something BB does all to often. See WR,TE,LB S, OL,CB and QB  Ex Newton no one waiting. Jamie Collin, and others. retreads.   Look at this year pick, complete reach becasue they had no one ready. 

IMO It should be " In Bill we trust" with Brady playing QB.  Our "In TB we trust" .   I'm not willing to wait 3/4 more years (BB record @ 6wins per) for this crap show!!!!

BB is damn lucky his two draft choices worked out. Just imagine if they couldn't play. Where were the young player in waiting????

Forgot Look what Barmore did for the Defense. Now add another, look out!

Edited by m haynes

7 hours ago, m haynes said:

I agree 99%

DL is down on the list of needs for the Pats unless they lose out. Then they need to look to see if one of the elite DL fall to them.  BB will or have to trade down for a left tackle becasue I don't see a elite one in the draft. Unless you think Peter Skoronski OT Northwestern can play OT at 6'4". I think he's the best OL in the draft.

You make a very good point here.. one which I feel we will be discussing a lot as the draft approaches. Lets assume they are picking between 16-20... that's really no mans land in most drafts. All of the top OT will be gone, this draft has no elite elite WR to take in that range, who would you take? At that point in the draft you really day a day 1 impact starter. Trading back is going to be a major possibility, unless they want a CB I have a feeling early 20's could be where a few start going. CB would make sense.. but I have a feeling they won't see the value there. So many CB's last couple of years have done well coming out of the middle rounds.. throw some darts at the position on day 3 and let them learn behind Jack Jones / Marcus Jones. 

I have zero faith that Strong will ever work out. Waste of a pick now they need to find someone again for 2023.  

Strong feels very much like he was drafted for the "new" zone blocking scheme. He is a cut and go player with the amount of speed he has. If you put him on the 49ers this year, especially with their injuries.. he would be dynamic. Depending on the direction the coaching staff goes.. I think he could be successful here. 

I see a major problem in the future. Age is a real issue the DL 99% are over 28 years old and they need a upgrade of talent. 

They are at a cross roads.. the offense needs to be overhauled and the defense is doing well but is aging. Where do you put the picks? Where do you spend the money? It's going to be very interesting seeing what they decide to do. 

Forgot Look what Barmore did for the Defense. Now add another, look out!

It's a shame that Barmore got injured.. would have been nice to see more of him with Wise having a breakout season. Getting one more young guy on the DL would be helpful. I'm awful at understanding what to draft for on the DL though so I won't even try. 

My current offseason thoughts are:

•  Resign Jonathan Jones
    • I think this is an underrated point.. he needs to stay. He is talented and he's the last championship CB to lead the DB group. McCourty will be gone, you need someone to lead these young DB's. 
    • I think we see Jon Jones, Myles Bryant and Jalen Mills all audition for McCourty's spot when he retires. Mills played FS well from what I recall in Philly.. he could be an option given how well Jones has done at outside CB.. but I think Jones could transition to FS for the next 3-5 years and be elite.
    • Side Note: Mills either wins a top 2 CB spot, starting FS or is restructured / cut .. he's cheap for a starter.. expensive for a backup.. will be interesting to see how it goes
  • I think Meyers walks.. BB isn't going to pay him 10-15M a season.. someone else will. 
  • Throw a bag at RT in Free Agency Mike McGlinchey should be an hour 1 top priority.
    • He fixes RT for the next 3-4 years. This would be an immediate win for free agency imo if you get him. 
  • Trade back in the first round unless an elite player is there (idc the position.. adding any elite player would help this team) and take a LT to sit behind Trent Brown for one year. I'm not sure how much you could get for trading out of the 1st round entirely .. but I think the 2nd/3rd could be stacked this year similar to last. The top of this draft doesn't feel elite to me. Give me 3 guys in the top 90 instead of one in the top 15. 
    • Some names to look at for early 2nd rounders could be: Dawand Jones (carbon copy of Trent) or Cody Mauch (he has such a mean streak, I think he's going to be a senior bowl darling
  • In round 2, draft Henry To'oTo'o or Drew Sanders would look amazing on this defense.. impact guys day 1
  • The Carolina RD3 pick is made for Dalton Kincaid, he would be Macs safety valve day 1 with Meyers gone. You may need to trade up a bit into the 2nd to get him.. but shouldn't cost much given that Carolina's pick will practically be a 2nd rounder anyway.
  • With 3 4th round picks it's all about going BPA (Slot WR / DT / CB would be nice), some guys to look at in this range are: 
    • WR -> Charlie Jones .. we are going to hear a lot of this guy. If he does actually run a 4.3 like some are saying he would be really fun to have next to Thornton in the slot ..
    • WR -> Zay Flowers ... I don't think he will have a great 40 which would make him available in the 4th given how small he is 
    • WR -> Tank Dell .. From Houston, they probably scouted him while watching Marcus Jones last year. shifty .. but small.. can't wait to see him at the senior bowl. 
    • CB -> DJ Turner / Tony Grimes 

Edited by Crimmage

20 hours ago, Crimmage said:

, who would you take? At that point in the draft you really day a day 1 impact starter. Trading back is going to be a major possibility,

I only see one guy that might fall Peter Skoronski. I would run up to the table with the pick. I would try him at LT but I see him at (outstanding)OC. Than I'd move Strange to center. I think he would shine there.

I think it's a guarantee they trade down. Best scenario is they trade out and get a boat load picks, pick up 2024 1st. Pat's not winning in 2023. Load up. Also this 1st RD stinks after you get past the handful of players. Let's they trade 25+ its Smith for me.

So many CB's last couple of years have done well coming out of the middle rounds

I look at CB as the new RBs. Waste to take one in the 1st RD. The only time I would take on if he a shut down. Off the top of my head, the last one was Revis.

I'm awful at understanding what to draft for on the DL

That's easy for me. Push the pile and stop the run. I say what I wanted in 2022, Travis Jones. I'm looking for a Brady killer.  IMO that's improve at least 7 positions, I just see Barmore working with off him, nightmare/ havic!!!

Resign Jonathan Jones

If the moneys right. Also I see only two that I care about and they are the two rookies. Mill maybe but I don't lose any sleep if he's gone.

Mike McGlinchey should be an hour 1 top priority.

Best start you can hope for going forward. That mean's NO WAY that's happening.

The top of this draft doesn't feel elite to me. Give me 3 guys in the top 90 instead of one in the top 15. 

There's a couple I have my eye on but this draft in general blows!!! Especially for the Pats.  Keep an eye on is he falls , Will Levis, QB, Kentucky. Possible trade. I only see  the Colt looking at him ( based on a mock I'm looking at 15)

I do like at this time,  Antonio Johnson after the 1st RD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdAU9iFjHJg

ADDED I haven't look at CB at all for this draft. Low on my priority list for 2023. 

15 minutes ago, m haynes said:

I only see one guy that might fall Peter Skoronski.

I wish.. I think his short arms will cause him to drop a little but other than that he is elite. 

IMO the following guys go top 15: 

• Peter Skoronski 
  • Paris Johnson
  • Broderick Jones

I agree with you about the trade back.. if you're around pick 17 and could trade back I would be all for it. To go along with your thought of a 1st rounder.. if you could get a 2nd this year and a 1st next year from a team that's desperate to make progress now (Packers with aging Aaron Rodgers feel like a candidate) that would be a great deal. I would also find 17 for both of the Steelers/Panthers 2nd round picks to be very enticing too. 

He's a 3rd / 4th round pick right now.. but he's going to test off the charts at the combine and is my pick for LT of the future. Grab Cody Mauch in the 2nd round and be happy for the next decade. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzyCZ7pdIcU

Found this video on Dawand Jones.  Not a good look, based on his HS history.

I'm not sure he would be a pick for the Pats.   I call players that don't (1st) love football, "Paycheck Boys" !!!  The Pats have drafted a couple over the years. Football is my job players.

Ken Sims and Ron Brace.

I don't waste my time or pick when it comes this type of player. Plays great in college becasue of one reason, get paid.

Also I'm not impressed with his game. He needs work he can't get by with his size at the next level. His reaction time is a big question IMO!

A look into the TE Class.. which we will look back as being loaded: 

https://thedraftnetwork.com/nfl-draft-2023-tight-end-class/

This furthers my thought process that Hunter Henry needs to be traded this offseason. Maybe you can get a 4th/5th from a playoff team? 

I was reading recently about potentially trading Jalen Mills for a 4th/5th too.. if you resign Jonathan Jones I would be all for that move too. Throw Jack Jones into the starting lineup and draft another 2 CB's to develop behind them.