Week 15 Gameday Thread (Buck/Aikman Edition) - Green Bay Packers (5-8-0) vs. LA/St. Louis/LA Rams (4-9-0)

Striker

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

One thing I noticed this game.  Rodgers passes were not tight spirals.  I saw a lot of passes where he wasn't gripping the laces.  And not just on the quick RPO throws.  Maybe it's a thumb thing?

I guess in the past, I have seen him throw without the laces many times, but usually on those quick stand up passes.  Not the pocket passes like I saw last night.

I wonder if the ball was kinda slick or hard as a rock in those temps?

4 minutes ago, Pugger said:

I wonder if the ball was kinda slick or hard as a rock in those temps?

Depends on whether or not the balls are full of air, or deflated ala Tom Brady.  Because that makes a huge difference.

General rule, though?  The longer you use the ball in the cold, the slicker and harder it gets when playing outside.

For the NFL, though, my guess is that the balls are changed out a lot and kept as warm as they can be.  So it could be that they are a little harder and slicker than usual, but probably not to the extent that they could be. 

You know, without the careful handling of those balls.  Yah, I said it.  You read it all correctly.  There are references to slick balls, hard balls, cold balls and warm balls.   Even got in a playing reference, just for good measure.

Edited by vegas492

43 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Depends on whether or not the balls are full of air, or deflated ala Tom Brady.  Because that makes a huge difference.

General rule, though?  The longer you use the ball in the cold, the slicker and harder it gets when playing outside.

For the NFL, though, my guess is that the balls are changed out a lot and kept as warm as they can be.  So it could be that they are a little harder and slicker than usual, but probably not to the extent that they could be. 

You know, without the careful handling of those balls.  Yah, I said it.  You read it all correctly.  There are references to slick balls, hard balls, cold balls and warm balls.   Even got in a playing reference, just for good measure.

I think his thumb is a lot better but he doesn't want to risk any unnecessary hits to it. I've noticed hes throwing it a lot more without actually having proper grip on the laces. Like he's concerned about just getting the pass off more than anything. Its a good sign that he's been under center a lot more, we had about a month stretch there where he just couldnt do it.

4 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

Was it that the Rams oline really sucked or did Kenny Clark wake up? Seemed to be the first game in a long time that I saw Kenny really affect the game.

Their line sucks and it sucked even more after the second play.

To be fair to Kenny, we did nothing, literally nothing to help him out.  Two DL.  Two EDGE.  No stunts, not twists, no loops.  Just line up and play the run on the way to the QB.

That fact that any DL can flash in this system is amazing to me.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

Was it that the Rams oline really sucked or did Kenny Clark wake up? Seemed to be the first game in a long time that I saw Kenny really affect the game.

I think both, but Kenny picked it up last week agianst another suspect Oline. It seems like Kenny hits a lull in the middle of the season then always picks it back up in December.

40 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

To be fair to Kenny, we did nothing, literally nothing to help him out.  Two DL.  Two EDGE.  No stunts, not twists, no loops.  Just line up and play the run on the way to the QB.

You know I try not to read much about the defense and the system anymore as I hope its not a system being run in Gb much longer, but what you mentioned is a theme I have herd from many. This system does nothing to try and confuse the offensive lineman. Just straight up rush forward. The oline has no worry about passing this guy off or checking that a twist is coming. Just play the man in front of you and you are good. The fact the d lineman have shown as much as they have makes me think they could cause havoc with a little more variation to the calls up front. Of course I am an idiot and they may be doing a lot that I don't notice as I drink my beer on the couch.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

It would help if we put someone with actual talent next to him. We drafted a guy in the first that was supposed to be just that but we never play him for some reason.

Ford was chippy early. That's good. Amos did an awesome jump. Looked like a Woodson play. Quay had a solo  and a splash . Rasul is a top favorite for me now. Kenny is hunting. Jarron Reed. Those offensive drives that eat the clock are crazy to me. The first half  they try and score alot in a fast manner. Then if they are ahead a few scores they sandbag the drive to slow time down, which doesn't really exist if you think about it. Time is understood in a collective imagination(including a measurable description), but it's not really there if you think about it. Especially if you leave Earth's specific gravity. It is on a sliding scale after that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, svp said:

..... they sandbag the drive to slow time down, which doesn't really exist if you think about it. Time is understood in a collective imagination(including a measurable description), but it's not really there if you think about it. Especially if you leave Earth's specific gravity. It is on a sliding scale after that.

Put the Ayahuasca down 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, svp said:

Ford was chippy early. That's good. Amos did an awesome jump. Looked like a Woodson play. Quay had a solo  and a splash . Rasul is a top favorite for me now. Kenny is hunting. Jarron Reed. Those offensive drives that eat the clock are crazy to me. The first half  they try and score alot in a fast manner. Then if they are ahead a few scores they sandbag the drive to slow time down, which doesn't really exist if you think about it. Time is understood in a collective imagination(including a measurable description), but it's not really there if you think about it. Especially if you leave Earth's specific gravity. It is on a sliding scale after that.

This post is an amazing journey

• Like 2