Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

19 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Nothing really new here, but more confirmation of the Jets' interest. 

WE REALLY REALLY LIKE DEREK CARR, EVERYONE!!

(but, in case the Packers read this, we'll DEFINITELY wait to see if you want to trade him to us before making a decision)

A lesson on how to look weak, by the NY Jets.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

So, the Jets are pretending they like Carr to lower to cost of Rodgers. Pretty amateurish. 

Amateurish?  They are covering their bases in case Rodgers retires or returns to GB so IMO they are being smart.  One thing in Carr's favor is he will be cheaper and will play more than 1 or 2 years.

21 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Amateurish?  They are covering their bases in case Rodgers retires or returns to GB so IMO they are being smart.  One thing in Carr's favor is he will be cheaper and will play more than 1 or 2 years.

He will also take the Jets to the toilet bowl. He’s not markedly better than Mike White. At least not for the money. 

• Like 1

I have done a full 180 on this. I think Rodgers either retires or is a Packer next year regardless of all the player departures.

Looking at his contract again the cap hit is very manageable for 2023. It is not a bad contract in that regards, it is only bad if he is traded or retires and even that can be post June.

Ranked only 9th in terms of cap value of all QBs for 2023,  just $1m bucks more than Goff and when Hurts, Tua, Herbert and Lamar all get their deals (most likely this off season) then they probably will push down Rodgers cap ranking even further. 

According to Spotrac if he retires after this season the dead cap charge is very manageable around $25m. 

Unless Rodgers really believes he is going to a new team and play for a few more years, it is probably better for legacy and all the other intangibles to stay in Green Bay.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

I have done a full 180 on this. I think Rodgers either retires or is a Packer next year regardless of all the player departures.

Looking at his contract again the cap hit is very manageable for 2023. It is not a bad contract in that regards, it is only bad if he is traded or retires and even that can be post June.

Ranked only 9th in terms of cap value of all QBs for 2023,  just $1m bucks more than Goff and when Hurts, Tua, Herbert and Lamar all get their deals (most likely this off season) then they probably will push down Rodgers cap ranking even further. 

According to Spotrac if he retires after this season the dead cap charge is very manageable around $25m. 

Unless Rodgers really believes he is going to a new team and play for a few more years, it is probably better for legacy and all the other intangibles to stay in Green Bay.

BOoooooo, Booooo, Boooo! 

HE needs to be traded! 

12 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

BOoooooo, Booooo, Boooo! 

HE needs to be traded! 

I have to agree the idea of the draft capital obtained and starting the Love era is exciting. 

Plus I strongly believe if Love is not starting this year he will be traded. It must be tough for him to see QBs drafted before and after him in his rookie class all having played and achieved and on the verge of getting new deals while he hasn't even started back to back games yet. Another year of not starting will be tough for him to take plus his value will drop by next year as he is on the 5th year option.

I am so torn, I can't take it!!!!

24 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

The dead cap in 2024 will be much higher than 25m as Spotrac doesn't include the option bonus that hasn't been paid yet. 

Now if he comes back for 1 last year, the Packers and Arron may agree to redo the contract and remove that but it means additional signing bonus or salary which affects the cap position this year and the dead cap in later years

3 minutes ago, OzPackfan said:

The dead cap in 2024 will be much higher than 25m as Spotrac doesn't include the option bonus that hasn't been paid yet. 

Now if he comes back for 1 last year, the Packers and Arron may agree to redo the contract and remove that but it means additional signing bonus or salary which affects the cap position this year and the dead cap in later years

I might be reading it wrong, which could very much be the case but Spotrac saying the option bonus for 2024 not due till the 5th day of next year I think

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/aaron-rodgers-3745/

7 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

I might be reading it wrong, which could very much be the case but Spotrac saying the option bonus for 2024 not due till the 5th day of next year I think

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/aaron-rodgers-3745/

He is due a 58.3m option bonus in 2023 (due to be paid by start of season) and a 47m option bonus for 2024 (if on the team on the 5th day of the new league year).

If he comes back and plays in 2023 that 58.3m has to be paid (its already guaranteed) unless the 2 sides agree to a new contract that removes it. Once it is paid in some form his dead cap charge for years 2024 onwards increases dramatically.

Edited by OzPackfan

2 hours ago, Pugger said:

But he pretty much sucks though and he's not a winner. 

Edited by {Family Ghost}
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, OzPackfan said:

He is due a 58.3m option bonus in 2023 (due to be paid by start of season) and a 47m option bonus for 2024 (if on the team on the 5th day of the new league year).

If he comes back and plays in 2023 that 58.3m has to be paid (its already guaranteed) unless the 2 sides agree to a new contract that removes it. Once it is paid in some form his dead cap charge for years 2024 onwards increases dramatically.

Help me, still confused. How come that option bonus of $58.3m doesn't show up as a cap hit for 2023 instead we are seeing a cap hit of only $31m

Also can that cap hit of $58.3m be transferred to a team that trades for Rodgers?

5 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Who are some other suitors besides Vegas and the Jets?

Maybe the Titans or Dolphins (That owner down there will swing for the fences when he wants)  I think my sleeper team is NE, BB knows he going nowhere with Mac Jones, how much time does BB have left?  He knows he needs a top QB to win again.

Having said that, it's a real possibility Rodgers doesn't want to go to any of those places.  I still think he returns to GB.

22 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

Help me, still confused. How come that option bonus of $58.3m doesn't show up as a cap hit for 2023 instead we are seeing a cap hit of only $31m

Also can that cap hit of $58.3m be transferred to a team that trades for Rodgers?

Yes it is included in the 2023 cap hits but for whatever reason it isn't included in the 2024 dead cap charges on either spotrac or OTC (that may be because it hasnt been paid yet).

The part of it being transferred to another team I believe is a no as it is guaranteed money and that stays with the Packers

Edited by OzPackfan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Brit Pack said:

I don't want this to happen, but I think there's a good chance you're right. If the Packers trade GB, it's going to be 100% because they want it, not 12.