Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

11 minutes ago, fistfullofbeer said:

I am more familiar with NHL salary cap rules than NFL, but can we retain a % of Rodgers salary to make the trade more palatable for other teams? NHL allows the selling team to retain up to 50% of a players salary.

I'm not sure.  Salary cap wise Aaron's contract is a bargain for an acquiring team.  It's under 16 mil for '23, and around 31 mil for '24.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Well, there is another side to this coin. The Saints and Carr probably came to an agreement when the Raiders gave him permission to negotiate. Carr probably did the mandatory tour so it didn't look like they agreed and then kept any potential picks for appearances. 

I do like your thinking though. 

Carr was a FA, he didn't need permission. No trade there.

19 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Carr was a FA, he didn't need permission. No trade there.

When he was meeting with the Saints he was still under contract to the Raiders.  There was potential for a trade, but then Carr announced he would be letting his contract run out.  Why help out the Raiders if you are Carr.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Hearing unconfirmed that the Jets don't want to take on all of Rodgers contract, and would lose some players if they do. 

If my understanding of the contract (as listed by Spotrac) is correct, here are what the NYJ cap hits would be:

Scenario #1: GB trades before exercising 2023 option, AR plays 1yr w/ NYJ and then retires or is cut

2023 hit= $15.79m

2024 hit= $43.73m (accelerated prorations)

2025 hit= $0

end result is 1yr of play at $59.53m AAV cash

Scenario #2: GB trades before exercising 2023 option, AR plays 2yr w/ NYJ and then retires or is cut 

2023 hit= $15.79m

2024 hit= $32.54m

2025 hit= $60.48m (accelerated prorations)

end result is 2yr of play at $54.4m AAV cash

Scenario #3: GB trades after exercising 2023 option, AR plays 1yr w/ NYJ and then retires or is cut

2023 hit= $1.22m

2024 hit= $0 (NYJ would have declined 2024 option bonus, which converts it to $47m base salary, but this is non-guaranteed I think??)

2025 hit= $0

end result is 1yr of play at $1.2m AAV cash

Scenario #4: GB trades after exercising 2023 option, AR plays 2yr w/ NYJ and then retires or is cut

2023 hit= $1.22m

2024 hit= $17.97m

2025 hit= $31.34m (accelerated prorations)

end result is 2yr of play at $25.3m AAV cash

————————-

So I’m sure the discussion is just about whether GB exercises the 2023 option before the trade (I don’t think they’re allowed to exercise it until March 17th). 

As a middle ground (if they don’t want to wait that long), I assume they can trade before exercising the option, while agreeing to pay NYJ some portion of the money to offset the hit & reduce the cash numbers listed in scenarios #1 & #2. 

so depending on which of the scenarios the NYJ (or some other team) go with, that would affect how much draft capital they are willing to include in the trade. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

Can’t the Ravens just match it and use that as a tool to set Lamar’s market though?

Yes, this has been suggested as their current strategy to prove to Lamar that they're offering the best package.

They're essentially betting that the Browns are the leagues dumbest team and that no one is going to match the Watson contract that Lamar wants.

2 minutes ago, Sandy said:

Yes, this has been suggested as their current strategy to prove to Lamar that they're offering the best package.

They're essentially betting that the Browns are the leagues dumbest team and that no one is going to match the Watson contract that Lamar wants.

Ya, that was what I was getting at.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I'm not sure.  Salary cap wise Aaron's contract is a bargain for an acquiring team.  It's under 16 mil for '23, and around 31 mil for '24.  

Yeah I don't know how much more palatable it could be.

This contract was amazing when you think about how tradable it became after just one season. Really hats off to Russ Ball on this one.

12 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Joe Namath was glamorized for his womanizing when he played. The times changed and he made a drunk fool out of himself in national TV so let's cancel him. 

smh

replace romo in the booth  with drunk joe