Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

1 hour ago, BlaZeN37 said:

As a Jets fan, I think something like this is realistic/fair:

- 2023 3rd round pick

- 2024 2nd round pick that converts to a 1st rounder if Rodgers plays in ‘24

- 2024 5th round pick 

- Denzel Mims 

I honestly have no idea how this trade hasn’t happened yet. Neither side has much leverage, and there’s a fair deal to be had. The above deal is reasonable for both sides and just one example. 

Side note: Any Jets fan that says 2 years of Rodgers isn’t worth a late first round pick+ is out of their minds.

Thanks for the offer. Just fyi, GB fans are likely to see a 3rd rounder as more of a liability than an asset 😁

gonna have to pay us something extra to take on that 3rd.

18 minutes ago, BlaZeN37 said:

I feel like there’s ways to prevent that work around, IE. Jets must surrender their ‘24 and ‘25 FRP if Rodgers is on the team week 1 after having already surrendered a 2nd. 

I feel there is a high likely hood that Rodgers plays 2 years. Taking out the condition and just making it a straight up 1st is still within the “fair” range of a deal. Someone above suggested Ruckert instead of Mims, which is something I could see.

EDIT: Disregard the first part. Just realized that the Jets would never do that stipulation because Rodgers could legitimately retire and unretire and they would be screwed. 

if the NYJ trade a 2nd in 2023, then the 2024 has to be at least a 2024 2nd + a player (Moore, Ruckert, etc.... Not Mims)

the conditional aspect of the 2024 pick should be based on what transpires in 2023 and should ultimately be about the player (his performance) not the teams performance only.  

If GB is trading the asset that is Aaron Rodgers and Rodgers performs well, but the rest of the team sucks, that is an issue of NYJ over valuing the current roster not what Rodgers did for them.    So something along the lines of Rodgers playing x% of snaps/games, OR having a passer rating above xx value/ranking in the league.  

17 minutes ago, BlaZeN37 said:

Jets could legitimately end up paying $100 million for 1 year of Aaron Rodgers. That has to be a huge factor when weighing compensation. 

Except… they would restructure. So not much , that’s between the jets and Rodgers.

Edit: plus the only reason the Jets are looking at Rodgers is they expect playoffs and a deep run… if he gets you that, no fan is going to care if The jets need to pay out 100 million.

Edited by Green19
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, dafreak said:

Jet could easily pivot and tank for Caleb Williams or another QB next year which in reality makes much more sense. Why trade for a 1-year mental case rental? The leverage ain't what you think/hope it should be.

so Saleh and Judge are going to sell to the owner that they want to tank for 2023 and try to get a rookie QB in 2024?

Wonder how that goes over and how soon they would be looking for new jobs?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

so Saleh and Judge are going to sell to the owner that they want to tank for 2023 and try to get a rookie QB in 2024?

Wonder how that goes over and how soon they would be looking for new jobs?

Long term a much better option? Rodgers is year to year with what he wants to do. A lot of baggage comes with trading for him.

17 minutes ago, BlaZeN37 said:

Jets could legitimately end up paying $100 million for 1 year of Aaron Rodgers. That has to be a huge factor when weighing compensation. 

That is a big component of things.   The contract is not awful on cap hit for 2023, but the looming issue of the bonus can become something.  

If Rodgers retires, the 2024 bonus is a non issue and either/any team could push to recoup some of the 2023 option bonus.  

Just now, dafreak said:

Long term a much better option? Rodgers is year to year with what he wants to do. A lot of baggage comes with trading for him.

And yet here we are… jets aren’t telling the packers to pound sand.

Seems like they don’t care… so they are painting themselves in that corner.

Just now, dafreak said:

Do Saleh and the GM have the credit built up with ownership to be playing the long game?   

Johnson (NYJ owner) seems to be wanting to make some noise in the AFC East since they have been out of the playoffs for over a decade.  Being 4th within their division again is not a good look for them and the bust that is Zach Wilson is not a helpful piece

3 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Do Saleh and the GM have the credit built up with ownership to be playing the long game?   

Johnson (NYJ owner) seems to be wanting to make some noise in the AFC East since they have been out of the playoffs for over a decade.  Being 4th within their division again is not a good look for them and the bust that is Zach Wilson is not a helpful piece

Yes, they should have the "credit" built up. Zach sucks but they have options other than trading for a prima donna QB that maybe/maybe not wants to play another year. Many fans on this forum think the Packers should hold out for unrealistic draft picks but the reality is the Jets are holding just as many cards as the Packers. If the Packers really want to move on, they should? 

1 minute ago, dafreak said:

Yes, they should have the "credit" built up. Zach sucks but they have options other than trading for a prima donna QB that maybe/maybe not wants to play another year. Many fans on this forum think the Packers should hold out for unrealistic draft picks but the reality is the Jets are holding just as many cards as the Packers. If the Packers really want to move on, they should? 

If this was true they would of signed first ballot hall of famer Derek Carr (jets front office’s words, not mine)

the jets had cards, they let them go.

their only options for leverage is to be willing to walk away now or being ok to wait until September.

We can say that saleh and Douglas has capital built up… but HCs and GMs have also been fired for much less. And when you have an owner, at any moment that owner can turn on them. They don’t have time, that defense is ready NOW. They can’t wait. They identified only veterans… Jimmy G, Carr, Rodgers.

They painted themselves into this corner.

The worse case for Packers is: they are on the hook for a contract THEY agreed to, Rodgers goes on a show weekly/daily bashing the team… he does this already, and at some point they are forced to let him back in the building (I don’t know if they honestly have to let him back in, don’t know how the nfl would handle that).

Honestly at the end of the day the timeline matters more to the Jets (OTAs, etc) if GB is willing to allow the draft to past… 

But I think this is all for not, reports are they are close. They are likely arguing over 13 vs 43. Or a guarantee 1st in 2024 instead of a 2024 1st with conditions that need to happen for that to be a first… or something of this nature. This seems like something that will get figured out in a few weeks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlaZeN37 said:

I feel like there’s ways to prevent that work around, IE. Jets must surrender their ‘24 and ‘25 FRP if Rodgers is on the team week 1 after having already surrendered a 2nd. 

I feel there is a high likely hood that Rodgers plays 2 years. Taking out the condition and just making it a straight up 1st is still within the “fair” range of a deal. Someone above suggested Ruckert instead of Mims, which is something I could see.

EDIT: Disregard the first part. Just realized that the Jets would never do that stipulation because Rodgers could legitimately retire and unretire and they would be screwed. 

Exactly.  The Jets would want some level of protection if Rodgers were to have a legitimate change of heart.  The only way to include protection for the Jets would be something that convey the year after '24 season.  Like if the Jets traded a SRP this year plus a conditional SRP next year (that moves to a FRP if the Jets make the AFC Championship or some stipulation like that).  But the Jets receive a '25 pick (something like a 3rd if the Jets send a FRP to the Packers in 2024) IF Rodgers doesn't play in 2024.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Green19 said:

If this was true they would of signed first ballot hall of famer Derek Carr (jets front office’s words, not mine)

the jets had cards, they let them go.

their only options for leverage is to be willing to walk away now or being ok to wait until September.

We can say that saleh and Douglas has capital built up… but HCs and GMs have also been fired for much less. And when you have an owner, at any moment that owner can turn on them. They don’t have time, that defense is ready NOW. They can’t wait. They identified only veterans… Jimmy G, Carr, Rodgers.

They painted themselves into this corner.

The worse case for Packers is: they are on the hook for a contract THEY agreed to, Rodgers goes on a show weekly/daily bashing the team… he does this already, and at some point they are forced to let him back in the building (I don’t know if they honestly have to let him back in, don’t know how the nfl would handle that).

Honestly at the end of the day the timeline matters more to the Jets (OTAs, etc) if GB is willing to allow the draft to past… 

But I think this is all for not, reports are they are close. They are likely arguing over 13 vs 43. Or a guarantee 1st in 2024 instead of a 2024 1st with conditions that need to happen for that to be a first… or something of this nature. This seems like something that will get figured out in a few weeks.

Too simplistic :) Perhaps the Rodgers headach just isnt worth it, time will tell.

It was brought up some pages back and not sure it was answered but Andrew Brandt said that option bonus kicks in from today and is active till the before the seasons starts. Maybe, as that was alluded to, that is the hold up in the announcement of the deal. Maybe…

7 hours ago, BlaZeN37 said:

As a Jets fan, I think something like this is realistic/fair:

- 2023 3rd round pick

- 2024 2nd round pick that converts to a 1st rounder if Rodgers plays in ‘24

- 2024 5th round pick 

- Denzel Mims 

I honestly have no idea how this trade hasn’t happened yet. Neither side has much leverage, and there’s a fair deal to be had. The above deal is reasonable for both sides and just one example. 

Side note: Any Jets fan that says 2 years of Rodgers isn’t worth a late first round pick+ is out of their minds.

Lol what a pile of trash offer that would be. 

• Like 1