2018 Free Agency: WRs

G08

14 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Moncrief would be fine as a 2nd FA add but he’d be pretty underwhelming to me as our primary WR FA add. 3 of his 4 years he’s been a 30-catch guy. That’s not really blowing my skirt up. I think we need to aim higher than that. 

That's because he was playing second fiddle to TY Hilton.  He's a good player though and could definitely be used in Chicago.

Guys need to understand that teams don't just let #1 WRs hit free agency easily unless something is wrong or broken.  To get those guys you usually need to draft them.  

Jaron Brown from Arizona screams Ryan Pace to me...

A guy who I have always liked as a deep threat who I feel has been under used in his career is Brice Butler...big guy with excellent speed who just hasn't had the targets during his career...

Other than that I think we look at complement guys like Marqise Lee or Paul Richardson to go with a high draft pick and the returning Meredith.

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

That's because he was playing second fiddle to TY Hilton.  He's a good player though and could definitely be used in Chicago.

Guys need to understand that teams don't just let #1 WRs hit free agency easily unless something is wrong or broken.  To get those guys you usually need to draft them.  

Good second fiddles in the NFL average more than 2 catches a week though, especially with Andrew Luck being the QB most of that time. I like Moncrief - he’s good in the red zone. I just think we can do better. 

MM you mention Jaron Brown above, but I think John Brown (also a UFA) gives us a more complimentary add to what we already have. He’s what we were trying to add with Markus Wheaton. 

29 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Good second fiddles in the NFL average more than 2 catches a week though, especially with Andrew Luck being the QB most of that time. I like Moncrief - he’s good in the red zone. I just think we can do better. 

MM you mention Jaron Brown above, but I think John Brown (also a UFA) gives us a more complimentary add to what we already have. He’s what we were trying to add with Markus Wheaton. 

I just worry too much about John's health and Pace has been burned by WR health before so not sure he goes down that road.

2 hours ago, howru8888 said:

Jarvis Landry, Paul Richardson and Terrell Pryor are also other names available

I think two solid but not spectacular signings could be better than one top choice in this instance. 

Pryor gives a size/speed combo and Richardson has elite speed. You likely can get the pair for less than Adams alone

Meredith

Pryor

Richardson

Inman

Wright

White/McBride

Gentry (PS)

White likely get a injured so listing him means next to nothing but that is much better than this year and wouldn't mean we need to burn a pick on a WR. 

I might pass on Wright and still draft one though. 

5 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I just worry too much about John's health and Pace has been burned by WR health before so not sure he goes down that road.

Before this year John Brown missed 2 games in 3 years. I’m fine with that. He probably fetches less than Richardson IMO but brings the same skill set. Brown’s production has gone down the past 2 years with AZ’s disastrous QB situation which will matter in the FA market. I think he could be looking at a Markus Wheaton type contract, only with more actual ability and of a resume than Wheaton had. 

3 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Before this year John Brown missed 2 games in 3 years. I’m fine with that. He probably fetches less than Richardson IMO but brings the same skill set. Brown’s production has gone down the past 2 years with AZ’s disastrous QB situation which will matter in the FA market. I think he could be looking at a Markus Wheaton type contract, only with more actual ability and of a resume than Wheaton had. 

You have to question why he has only started 27 games of 54...hamstring issues are never good for a WR...I like him but I just question that in terms of how healthy is he and what kind of work load can he handle.

I like the idea of Pryor, Meredith, Inman on 2 or 3 year deals.

Draft Simmie Cobbs Jr, might be able to trade down in the 2nd and get him and a 4th along with it.

End up with two #2 WRs in Pryor and Meredith and hopefully 2 #3 WRs in Inman and Cobbs Jr (as a rookie, potential to be someone like Alshon Jeffery IMO) and White as a wild card.

Jaron Brown would be another ascending Pace type signing. 

I think a lot will depend on how Inman looks over the last 6 weeks. He is clearly a big dude who runs good routes and has reliable hands. Trubisky and he seems to have a repore building.

If you have Inman and Meredith, perhaps they focus more on speed.

6 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

You have to question why he has only started 27 games of 54...hamstring issues are never good for a WR...I like him but I just question that in terms of how healthy is he and what kind of work load can he handle.

Well for the bulk of his time the top 2 WR in AZ were Fitzgerald and Michael Floyd, so Brown was only starting if they’re 3+ wide on their first play. If we are adding John Brown it’s not to be our clear cut #1. 

3 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Well for the bulk of his time the top 2 WR in AZ were Fitzgerald and Michael Floyd, so Brown was only starting if they’re 3+ wide on their first play. If we are adding John Brown it’s not to be our clear cut #1. 

I don't think anyone is saying he is going to be a clear cut #1 but with how Arians loves to throw the ball deep you would think he would start over Floyd if he was able to carry the load...if Brown came in on a 1 year deal then great but we can't be paying him like we did Wheaton this offseason.

9 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Jaron Brown would be another ascending Pace type signing. 

I think a lot will depend on how Inman looks over the last 6 weeks. He is clearly a big dude who runs good routes and has reliable hands. Trubisky and he seems to have a repore building.

If you have Inman and Meredith, perhaps they focus more on speed.

Jaron Brown yes, because he has both the size and speed you look for.  As for John Brown I believe that he and Wheaton are kind of the same type of gadget players and both have injury concerns.  I'd take a pass and look for someone with a bit more dependability.

I hate to be the pessimist here but I would be stunned if the bears landed a top tier WR like Robinson or Adams or Watkins.  The bears will get two mid tier FA WRs.  Marques Lee and Paul Richardson

Lee

Richardson

Meridith

Inman

4th rounder

McBride 

3 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I don't think anyone is saying he is going to be a clear cut #1 but with how Arians loves to throw the ball deep you would think he would start over Floyd if he was able to carry the load...if Brown came in on a 1 year deal then great but we can't be paying him like we did Wheaton this offseason.

Floyd also excels on the deep ball, and amongst Fitz/Floyd/Brown on field only being considered then Brown is a clear cut 3rd most talented player there, though that isn’t an indictment. The other two were top 15 picks. Wheaton’s contract is basically a 1-year deal. Only $750k dead cap after next year. How do you feel about Paul Richardson? They’re basically the same guy, only with PR having more of an injury history. Mocks here this week have Richardson getting 4/36. I don’t know if that’s realistic or not, but if it is then Brown is probably looking at a comparable deal.

We need to make more significant commitments at the position though, whether it’s John Brown or other guys. We can’t keep going with 1-year deals at the position because it’s never going to lead to the stability we need at the position for our young QB.  

It will be interesting to see is Markus Wheaton produces more down the stretch now that he is finally healthy.  I know he's had a rough season so far but I'm not willing to totally close the book on him returning next season until I've seen his full body of work for 2017.

Archived