Random NFL Tidbits

Forge

11 hours ago, iknowcool said:

A lot of people talked about his upside and whatnot, but even the biggest "projects" at QB that went in the 1st had far more experience actually playing the position than Lance had.  It is the biggest reason I soured on him closer to draft day and he fell behind Mac Jones for me.  That and how bad he looked in the one game (albeit... it is just one game) he played in 2020.  He was just too big of a risk, never-mind trading picks for him.  Lastly while he was/is a good athlete, I didn't see someone who could take over a game with his legs in the NFL.  I think he benefited from the competition or lack thereof in area.

I don't think it is too late for him and the tools are still there, but he needs a team that will give him live-reps in a game.  It will take a team just throwing darts at the position and seeing what sticks (ala Panthers with Bridgewater/Darnold/Mayfield).

A few things:

-Its amazing how people convinced themselves that a guy with limited reps from a FCS school could make a big jump like Shanahan's offense, its like going from study hall to graduate level. Also his skillset was ok, but it wasn't like he was transcendent talent like a Steve McNair.

-The good news for him is that if Geno Smith can reinvent himself and become a starting level QB, Lance can. 

-I also agree, he just needs reps,the game is just too fast for him right now.

-I wonder if this front office/coach were to stay intact what would be their approach to selecting a QB moving forward, would he take Shanahan's opinion heavily like he did or go with his own instinct/research?

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

This guy has a fairly bad rep on niner Twitter. 

Purdy is clearly not looking at plays.  Allen doesn't appear to be looking either. 

And Trey may have his plays on the ground looking at them (I can't tell). You can see it flipped to next to the helmet. Also worth noting that this was halftime when he was no longer playing, so even if he wasn't looking at plays, that's kind of not a big deal

Just a brutal bad tweet. The discourse on Lance on niner Twitter is as toxic as political Twitter

Edit

Lol dude is getting cooked in the quotes

• Like 3

I think I am getting perilously close to seeing a prospect come out and me being able to say "I remember watching his grandfather play". 

This one really hits given Kirkpatrick was just on the niners 2 years ago

• Like 3

The 49ers used 3 first round picks + a third round pick on Trey Lance. 

There is a very, very good chance that when all is said and done, he will have gotten the same number of starts with the 49ers that Nathan Peterman got with the bills

😂

4 hours ago, TakeTheBallDeep said:

I know the Giants don't have a true #1 WR as of yet anyway, but do they have a case to have one of the deepest WR rooms in the league? Like looking at their depth chart they have a ton of #2 and #3's IMO

I'm not sure they have any real #2s. Looks like they have 5 #3s to me.... but if Waller is healthy and still himself, he could be the equivalent of a low end wr1.. so they've got somethin cookin

4 hours ago, Forge said:

The 49ers used 3 first round picks + a third round pick on Trey Lance. 

There is a very, very good chance that when all is said and done, he will have gotten the same number of starts with the 49ers that Nathan Peterman got with the bills

😂

So I heard some crazy stat (Don't quote me on this) that Trey Lance has less pass attempts from high school, college, and NFL than Tom Brady did last year alone....maybe we should have seen this? I thought he was QB#2 that draft which clearly i was wrong 

7 hours ago, TakeTheBallDeep said:

So I heard some crazy stat (Don't quote me on this) that Trey Lance has less pass attempts from high school, college, and NFL than Tom Brady did last year alone....maybe we should have seen this? I thought he was QB#2 that draft which clearly i was wrong 

It shoulda been Fields

• Like 2

3 hours ago, adamq said:

It shoulda been Fields

I'm not even sure that's the move. Fields likely sits year one as well. Really just banking on him not getting hurt in year 2. So much of this is just a bad beat for Lance

He sits his first year. I didn't want to do that, but I get it. 

Then they give him the job, he gets a monsoon and then breaks his ankle. 

Then a 7th round rookie comes in and plays very well and he's a guy with a long term future on the team (at least over the course of his rookie deal, which I would consider long term). The odds of this last one are so low. 

Kid needed to play and he didn't go through it. 

• Like 2

On 8/19/2023 at 1:14 PM, Forge said:

I'm not even sure that's the move. Fields likely sits year one as well. Really just banking on him not getting hurt in year 2. So much of this is just a bad beat for Lance

He sits his first year. I didn't want to do that, but I get it. 

Then they give him the job, he gets a monsoon and then breaks his ankle. 

Then a 7th round rookie comes in and plays very well and he's a guy with a long term future on the team (at least over the course of his rookie deal, which I would consider long term). The odds of this last one are so low. 

Kid needed to play and he didn't go through it. 

My biggest concern with Lantz from word go was that if you’re SF and feel like you were a quarterback away, why not trade for a veteran as opposed to giving a D-II/I-AA kid the keys to a high end sports car when he has played barely any football at all?

I still would say that if Purdy is the guy going forward he was last year, who cares because if that was Lantz then the trade was worth it and if it’s not then catching lightning in a bottle with a 7th is a wash from arguably the worst trade up in recent history.