I really, really, really like Brock.

Championshiporbust

12 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

I honestly don't remember the Giants' D-Line dominating that game. The 2011 defense in the playoffs was more bend-don't-break than the 2007 one.

Y'all had Staley, Iupati, and some other Pro-Bowler I'm forgetting on the O-Line that year. You just didn't have the depth at WR or CB.

? not a Niners fan.

I mean, 7 turnovers, 46 points allowed, 868 passing yards allowed, and constant pressure through 4 games…they were bend-but-don’t-break in the regular season but the Giants got super hot in the postseason and then obviously were getting good play from Eli/the receivers. The offensive line being good doesn’t mean that Alex wasn’t getting pressured. NE had Pro-Bowlers along both lines, that didn’t stop the Giants from pressuring Brady.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

? not a Niners fan.

I mean, 7 turnovers, 46 points allowed, 868 passing yards allowed, and constant pressure through 4 games…they were bend-but-don’t-break in the regular season but the Giants got super hot in the postseason and then obviously were getting good play from Eli/the receivers. The offensive line being good doesn’t mean that Alex wasn’t getting pressured. NE had Pro-Bowlers along both lines, that didn’t stop the Giants from pressuring Brady.

My memory of that defense was more colored by the Super Bowl where Brady dinked and dunked us to death mid-game.

I forgot how dominant they were against Atlanta, against GB they were a little fortunate with some of the mistakes Rodgers made but Osi had a couple huge plays.

I still don't know why SF stopped running against us because Gore and Hunter were really effective. Their line still put a lot more pressure on Eli than our line put on Alex. Eli was absolutely murdered in that game but made a couple gutsy throws to Manningham and Cruz that Smith was too timid to make on his end.

30 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Eli was absolutely murdered in that game but made a couple gutsy throws to Manningham and Cruz that Smith was too timid to make on his end.

That’s pretty much who he was. Not sure I’d call it timid, because he took his share if licks in that one, but he was never a downfield guy. Once he developed into a starting QB, one of the biggest gripes against him was that he wasn’t threatening teams deep (until Tyreek Hill came into the picture).

And again, while Crabtree was pretty solid that season (although unspectacular), there really weren’t any other wide receivers on those teams. After Crabtree and Davis, the next leading pass catcher in targets was Delanie Walker with 35, lol. Alex was who he was, against a hot defense that was beating up every playoff team, and even then was in position to win if not for a few muffed punts. 

6 hours ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Who cares, he played like a top 10 QB that year.

The 2011 team was stronger but Alex Smith was absolutely horrible against the Giants. I don't think he completed a single pass to a WR that game, and he had way more time to throw plus a better running game than Eli. He had that one nice throw to Vernon Davis and then he went into a shell and played so timidly beyond that.

The way the offense just exploded after he lost his job reminded me of when Foles took over for Wentz and actually got the ball deep to his receivers instead of just checking down to Ertz on every play.

You're one of the few that hasn't immediately cited Kyle Williams losing the 49ers the game that day. Folks seem to forget that the passing game was really static late in the contest. I know it was raining, but Eli seemed to have better success with his receivers. They had a better group, but they were also on the road against a mighty defense. Alex and his boys just didn't step up. 1/13 on third downs. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

That’s pretty much who he was. Not sure I’d call it timid, because he took his share if licks in that one, but he was never a downfield guy. Once he developed into a starting QB, one of the biggest gripes against him was that he wasn’t threatening teams deep (until Tyreek Hill came into the picture).

And again, while Crabtree was pretty solid that season (although unspectacular), there really weren’t any other wide receivers on those teams. After Crabtree and Davis, the next leading pass catcher in targets was Delanie Walker with 35, lol. Alex was who he was, against a hot defense that was beating up every playoff team, and even then was in position to win if not for a few muffed punts. 

As we found out later, Dealine Walker was actually a Pro Bowl-worthy player. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

As we found out later, Dealine Walker was actually a Pro Bowl-worthy player. 

Well yeah, very debatably might’ve been the best catcher on the team…

If only they’d known at the time (or was he just a late bloomer?). Could’ve been an all-time duo tbh.

25 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Well yeah, very debatably might’ve been the best catcher on the team…

If only they’d known at the time (or was he just a late bloomer?). Could’ve been an all-time duo tbh.

If you meant hands, then naw. He probably had the worst hands on the team, and that was his big knock. Don't know if it was still a problem when he went to Tennessee. 

• Like 1

He’s in the ideal situation for a young QB. Loaded roster with great coaching. I doubt you get this same production if he’s in a middling situation. I’m not beating him up as I think this is the correct way to develop a QB. I wish him nothing but success as he seems like a great kid. 

• Like 1

On 12/30/2022 at 8:36 AM, lavar703 said:

He’s in the ideal situation for a young QB. Loaded roster with great coaching. I doubt you get this same production if he’s in a middling situation. I’m not beating him up as I think this is the correct way to develop a QB. I wish him nothing but success as he seems like a great kid. 

I heard a Gardner Minshew comparison the other day, and I thought to myself that the 49ers would probably be having the same amount of success if it was Gardner in there instead of Brock. Even if it was Gardner as a rookie. The 49ers are probably the most stacked squad in the league, and that's going to help even an average QB go places. #NotAhHumblebrag