I really, really, really like Brock.

Championshiporbust

On 12/27/2022 at 9:12 AM, Forge said:

But when I think of Brock Purdy, that's something that actually worries me. I thought of the Giants game yesterday when thinking about how a Brock Purdy led offense in the playoffs could go. Nothing to the wide receivers that isn't schemed up, nothing out wide or downfield in less than ideal weather circumstances, etc. 

What about Purdy makes you think that? If anything I think he’s shown he trusts his arm too much on some of the more difficult throws. I don’t see him being overly conservative at all. 

6 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

Those are my two for next year as well.

In a perfect world, the Texans get Harrison Jr with a top 5 pick from Cleveland and Bowers with a top 15 pick from their 8-9 season. Bryce Young with those two, plus Metchie in the slot and Nico Collins on the other side?

I deserve that, damnit.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, ET80 said:

In a perfect world, the Texans get Harrison Jr with a top 5 pick from Cleveland and Bowers with a top 15 pick from their 8-9 season. Bryce Young with those two, plus Metchie in the slot and Nico Collins on the other side?

I deserve that, damnit.

In my perfect world, we trade out of the first this year with a team looking to move up from the top 5 in the second round for their second and next year's first, that team implodes, then trade our own first and second rounder up as well.  

• Like 1

On 12/25/2022 at 6:24 PM, Championshiporbust said:

Very mature for his age. 

Looks like a future Bradyesque story....straight from nowhere to potential Super Bowl champion?

Love the story but let's get real. He's more like Colt McCoy than Brady. Super smart kid can manage the heck out of a game. He has nowhere near the arm talent Brady has to this day. 

Unfortunately, the last chapter of this book is going to be written over the next month and a half. Depending on how far the 49ers get in the playoffs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, straighthate said:

What about Purdy makes you think that? If anything I think he’s shown he trusts his arm too much on some of the more difficult throws. I don’t see him being overly conservative at all. 

Sorry for not making it clear, I was never trying to indicate that he was conservative. I was saying that type of game was my fear in that he is funneled to check downs and the middle of the field.  He can still try to make those throws and it not be something that works in the game (and to be fair to Alex, that first TD to VD was down the field and outside the numbers, so it's not like he was incapable of making those throws either...but if they were contested, you just knew Alex wasn't going to throw it or they wouldn't be complete). I'm not sure I would want Purdy trying to make a deep out or deep outside dig in a road playoff game in the east. That seems like something that will not end well unless those guys are wide open. So when I say that I worry about that, it's not just about him not being willing to make that throw...its perhaps more importantly about whether or not he is actually capable of making those throws. 

There is so much limited data on Purdy that we can't really say he's shown anything. He's played in idyllic circumstances. 

The good news is that he does have some history of playing in those types of games and not doing poorly in college. The bad news is that it doesn't necessarily translate. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Love the story but let's get real. He's more like Colt McCoy than Brady. Super smart kid can manage the heck out of a game. He has nowhere near the arm talent Brady has to this day. 

Unfortunately, the last chapter of this book is going to be written over the next month and a half. Depending on how far the 49ers get in the playoffs.

Colt McCoy was a comp that I used when he was coming out. 

If you want to kick up another level, I think that Case Keenum is also an excellent comp for him as well. Same physical limitations, whole lot of experience in college. Similar stature, but Keenum is probably a better athlete overall but I think Purdy is showing to be much more creative and intuitive. 

Keenum was good enough to go 11-3 with a stacked offensive cast in 2017, win a playoff game and honestly play pretty well for most of the season 

But don't think that this the end of the story. It's a disservice to the team if they don't let Purdy / Lance compete next year and I'm not so sure Lance wins that competition. Purdy provides you with a floor at the very least and the team can win games with him. I will worry about the playoffs no matter what. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, ET80 said:

He’s a Jr next year, right? Both he and Harrison Jr are 2024 guys.

Sorry, when you said, "next year's draft," I assume 2023 which is technically next year, I misunderstood. You are correct both are sophomores. 

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

Sorry, when you said, "next year's draft," I assume 2023 which is technically next year, I misunderstood. You are correct both are sophomores. 

Yeah, I worded that a bit awkwardly. But yeah, they’re part of that ridiculous 2024 class of pass catchers - Harrison, Mario Williams, Xavier Worthy, Emeka Egbuka, Adonai Mitchell, Keyshon Boutte and Troy Franklin at WR, Bowers (who would be WR2 in the ‘24 class if he switched positions) and Michael Trigg at TE - this is a definitive class, each one has some sort of skill set that makes them a high first rd consideration.

This is a “throwback" WR class - 2023 has a bunch of spread slot guys who check in at 6’ feet or under - 2024 is a bunch of 6’ 2” and up guys with catch radius and speed at their disposal. There are multiple X type WRs to be had, compared to one in this class (Quentin Johnston, who might be the 4th guy in this ‘24 class).