I really, really, really like Brock.

Championshiporbust

5 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Unfortunately this might be the case… I think the Eagles aren’t as good as advertised, and the 49ers might be the best “playoff” team in the NFC. Elite defense, electrifying offense, great coaching. But I think the Bills, Bengals, Chiefs all beat San Francisco… the QB gap is to large to win that high stakes game. Same thing with Jimmy G vs the Chiefs. 

49ers with a better QB (Top 10) win the Super Bowl in 2012, 2019, CGG in 2021, and probably the Super Bowl this year. It is their biggest problem by far. I love Purdy but I don’t think he’s the long term answer. I think a developing Lance still might be the guy that becomes a superstar for them though. 

We had top-10 QB play in 2012. That's not the reason we lost that game. The defense **** the bed giving up 34 points to the Joe Flacco Ravens, making them look like the '81 Chargers or '99 Rams. 

I can still see Chris Culliver "in coverage" lookin like it was his first day practicing Capoeira. I gave it 1/10 "BANANAWEYS".

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

We had top-10 QB play in 2012. That's not the reason we lost that game. The defense **** the bed giving up 34 points to the Joe Flacco Ravens, making them look like the '81 Chargers or '99 Rams. 

I can still see Chris Culliver "in coverage" lookin like it was his first day practicing Capoeira. I gave it 1/10 "BANANAWEYS".

Kaepernick was never a Top 10 QB, teams just didn’t have tape on him and he was riding the hot wave. 

49 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Kaepernick was never a Top 10 QB, teams just didn’t have tape on him and he was riding the hot wave. 

Right...but in that game in particular that you reference he had a good game, and was the reason that the 49ers were even able to mount a comeback in the first place. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

I wouldn't say the defense shat the bed; they ran into the buzzsaw that was 2012 Playoff Flacco.

Even the 2000 Ravens would have struggled against that offense.

9 minutes ago, biggie. said:

I wouldn't say the defense shat the bed; they ran into the buzzsaw that was 2012 Playoff Flacco.

Even the 2000 Ravens would have struggled against that offense.

Perhaps. The 49ers' defense since the second Seahawks game that year was trending down. Justin Smith hurt his triceps and wasn't the same afterward, and Aldon Smith just stopped getting sacks. 

Credit to Flacco and the Ravens. Even in a down year defensively, they just had the right formula for winning playoff football for about a 5 year stretch whether it was at home or on the road. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 2

On 12/26/2022 at 1:43 AM, BayRaider said:

Who cares, he played like a top 10 QB that year.

The 2011 team was stronger but Alex Smith was absolutely horrible against the Giants. I don't think he completed a single pass to a WR that game, and he had way more time to throw plus a better running game than Eli. He had that one nice throw to Vernon Davis and then he went into a shell and played so timidly beyond that.

The way the offense just exploded after he lost his job reminded me of when Foles took over for Wentz and actually got the ball deep to his receivers instead of just checking down to Ertz on every play.

Edited by redsoxsuck05
  • Like 4

On 12/26/2022 at 2:04 AM, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Perhaps. The 49ers' defense since the second Seahawks game that year was trending down. Justin Smith hurt his triceps and wasn't the same afterward, and Aldon Smith just stopped getting sacks. 

Credit to Flacco and the Ravens. Even in a down year defensively, they just had the right formula for winning playoff football for about a 5 year stretch whether it was at home or on the road. 

Aldon was playing with a torn labrum. Just wasn't the same. 

2 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Who cares, he played like a top 10 QB that year.

The 2011 team was stronger but Alex Smith was absolutely horrible against the Giants. I don't think he completed a single pass to a WR that game, and he had way more time to throw plus a better running game than Eli. He had that one nice throw to Vernon Davis and then he went into a shell and played so timidly beyond that.

I generally tend to take it easy on Alex for that Giants game if only because all things considered, he did "okay" given what the Giants defense did to quarterbacks in those playoffs. Matt Ryan was horrific and Aaron Rodgers was okay, I guess. He moved the ball a little easier, but he made some big mistakes. I wouldn't consider Alex anywhere near as good as Matt Ryan or Aaron Rodgers and I'm not sure he was all that detrimental to the 49ers ability to win as they were that post season. The Giants defense was rolling a heater and got healthy, I think. 

But when I think of Brock Purdy, that's something that actually worries me. I thought of the Giants game yesterday when thinking about how a Brock Purdy led offense in the playoffs could go. Nothing to the wide receivers that isn't schemed up, nothing out wide or downfield in less than ideal weather circumstances, etc. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

I generally tend to take it easy on Alex for that Giants game if only because all things considered, he did "okay" given what the Giants defense did to quarterbacks in those playoffs. Matt Ryan was horrific and Aaron Rodgers was okay, I guess. He moved the ball a little easier, but he made some big mistakes. I wouldn't consider Alex anywhere near as good as Matt Ryan or Aaron Rodgers and I'm not sure he was all that detrimental to the 49ers ability to win as they were that post season. The Giants defense was rolling a heater and got healthy, I think. 

But when I think of Brock Purdy, that's something that actually worries me. I thought of the Giants game yesterday when thinking about how a Brock Purdy led offense in the playoffs could go. Nothing to the wide receivers that isn't schemed up, nothing out wide or downfield in less than ideal weather circumstances, etc. 

It's fair to say that Eli faced more pressure in part because Gilbride's offense consisted almost entirely of those long-developing option routes. Your O-line was pretty awesome that year and a lot better than ours, though, and Gore should've gotten more work in the 2nd half.

We had better receivers and you had an elite TE, so that can also explain the distribution of targets in both of our offenses.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Was it more time to throw or just a short passing game? Not sure Crabtree/Kyle Williams + Alex Smith’s deep ball really inspired anything long developing. Especially compared to what the Giants used to do. Both QBs were getting absolutely rocked that game. That matchup and the Vikings-Saints playoff matchup of the 2009 season still stick out to me as games where the QBs were getting absolutely slaughtered, it was a great time.

Alex really just ran into a buzz saw that no QB in the playoffs really played that particularly well against, and there’s some high quality company in there (Ryan, Rodgers, Brady).

Edited by Yin-Yang
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Was it more time to throw or just a short passing game? Not sure Crabtree/Kyle Williams + Alex Smith’s deep ball really inspired anything long developing. Especially compared to what the Giants used to do. Both QBs were getting absolutely rocked that game. That matchup and the Vikings-Saints playoff matchup of the 2009 season were stick out to me as games where the QBs were getting absolutely slaughtered, it was a great time.

Alex really just ran into a buzz saw that no QB in the playoffs really played that particularly well against, and there’s some high quality company in there (Ryan, Rodgers, Brady).

I honestly don't remember the Giants' D-Line dominating that game. The 2011 defense in the playoffs was more bend-don't-break than the 2007 one.

Y'all had Staley, Iupati, and some other Pro-Bowler I'm forgetting on the O-Line that year. You just didn't have the depth at WR or CB.

Edited by redsoxsuck05