MNF Week 17: Buffalo Bills @ Cincinnati Bengals

notthatbluestuff

34 minutes ago, mse326 said:

And personally I think that is the case and if a team doesn't feel they can play then they can forfeit (which I wouldn't fault them for at all). I know that seems callous but the more that things are just made up as they go the less fair the result will actually be.

I mean, it goes without saying, really. There are consequences for leaving the field. Taking the conversation a little further out, what happens if the next time only one team decides they can't go on? Why should they be punished with an outright loss while these two teams were afforded changing the entire schedule?

What happens if one of the teams is scheduled to play their next game on the short week? How many games need to be rescheduled? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

Lol.

I guess i just feel like playing the games on the field and every team playing the same amount is the most fair. Can argue rest, injury recover etc, but at the very least the games and standings are settled on the field. Which from a competitive sports league should be the most important

Again, I agree. My position is that the best answer is to play games and move everyone back a week.

Where I disagree is that I don't think my (our) position is perfect and if we are saying "hey someone's going to get affected regardless", then I can understand a team not involved saying "WTF. It's not my fault the Bills/Bengals didn't continue, so affect less teams instead of less impact per team".

And let me just get ahead of this -> I get it was no one's fault, and certainly NO ONE is going to blame them for stopping the game. In fact, I think the NFL will try to take credit but let's be real - I think a bit more needs to be made about what kind of class both organizations have for being willing to concede such an important and consequential game without even batting an eye in solidarity of their brother, but I already got misconstrued, so I figured I'd let it simmer a bit.

Also, I'm a Chiefs fan so let's be real - I'm probably not going to be the one to campaign it. But if you don't tell anyone, I'll admit they both gained a lot of respect from me as orgs. 

So again, I think pushing the game is easier, but I also think the opposing point is valid. Sometimes I take a side even though I know there are alternate perspectives and I just happen to think this is one where both sides make sense, even if I lean towards playing the games (for all the reasons you mentioned).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BofaDeez54927 said:

I mean, it goes without saying, really. There are consequences for leaving the field. Taking the conversation a little further out, what happens if the next time only one team decides they can't go on? Why should they be punished with an outright loss while these two teams were afforded changing the entire schedule?

What happens if one of the teams is scheduled to play their next game on the short week? How many games need to be rescheduled? 

This was an unprecedented event. It’s literally never happened before in the history of the league. So trying to make up the game, especially one with such magnitude is not unheard of. 

Just now, BillSabre said:

This was an unprecedented event. It’s literally never happened before in the history of the league. So trying to make up the game, especially one with such magnitude is not unheard of. 

Right, but why is it limited to this event? Is it not traumatic to see the ambulance driving on the field, which we all know happens multiple times a year? In the future, what's the threshold for rescheduling going to be? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BofaDeez54927 said:

Right, but why is it limited to this event? Is it not traumatic to see the ambulance driving on the field, which we all know happens multiple times a year? In the future, what's the threshold for rescheduling going to be? 

Someone dying on the field in front of millions of people is probably the precedent. 

Surely the Bengals realize they had about a 50% chance of beating the Bills at home.

Surely the Bills realize they had about a 50% chance of beating the Bengals on the road.

So, just flip a coin and move on.

It's awkward, sure, but it causes the least amount of problems moving forward. And besides, the team that loses the coin flip will always have a built-in excuse if they fail to make the Super Bowl.

"We would have won it all that year if it wasn't for that damn coin!"

— 83-year-old Josh Allen

That's a win.

Edited by JustAGuy
  • Like 1

Just now, Louis Friend said:
8 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

Have you guys figured this out yet? Because I’m pretty sure the NFL is waiting for all the ideas to come out of here before they pick one. 

Per PFT- "Momentum is currently pointing toward Bills-Bengals not being resumed, with AFC playoff seeding based on winning percentage following the outcome of the Week 18 games."

34 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

Have you guys figured this out yet? Because I’m pretty sure the NFL is waiting for all the ideas to come out of here before they pick one. 

Sounds like you are kidding, but it's probably more fact than fiction right?

I have got to believe the NFL has at least 10+ interns scouring facebook/youtube/reddit/forums to get/float ideas to be ripped by the masses in order to find the most palatable solution.

Edited by Soggust

6 minutes ago, twotonebluenation said:

It's the non stop hard on the NFL has for Rodgers.

I am dying to see them lose to the Lions.

It just doesn’t make sense. They literally adjust week 18 to make sure this situation doesn’t happen. Somebody HAS to answer for this. 

*Bengals/Ravens should be the SNF matchup 

Edited by BillSabre