MNF Week 17: Buffalo Bills @ Cincinnati Bengals

notthatbluestuff

4 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

I agree with you on the coin flip clause being nonsense. Even if it was about being fair to the Ravens, it makes no sense for the coin flip to only apply against the Bengals if the Ravens get the 6 seed. If the Ravens win and move up to the 5 seed (Broncos beat Chargers) they don't get any chance of a home game.

This really does seem to have been put in to the prevent the Bengals and Ravens from resting for a week, since they otherwise have nothing on the line. Probably doesn't change the fact that the Bengals will face a practice squad QB, so we won't get to see this glorious coin flip.

You see this is where I disagree. I interpret that the league DID in fact defer to win percentage here across the board. IF the Ravens beat Cincinnati in week 18, the percentage difference is with different games played and the Ravens having beat Cincinnati twice. That means both teams lost their shot at winning the division over the non played game. 

The other teams weren’t in the position for a coin flip because they already won their divisions. 

The league is literally trying to be fair to all parties affected by the canceled game. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BillSabre said:

You see this is where I disagree. I interpret that the league DID in fact defer to win percentage here across the board. IF the Ravens beat Cincinnati in week 18, the percentage difference is with different games played and the Ravens having beat Cincinnati twice. That means both teams lost their shot at winning the division over the non played game. 

The other teams weren’t in the position for a coin flip because they already won their divisions. 

The league is literally trying to be fair to all parties affected by the canceled game. 

Are we getting subconciously funky with the math here?

11-6 vs 11-5 is a -4% win% difference.

Bengals two losses to Balt represents 12.5% of their games so a -12.5% win% H2H. So Baltimore is the one that is actually getting screwed here? They shouldn't even need a coin flip!

Edited by WheatieMan

1 hour ago, WheatieMan said:

Are we getting subconciously funky with the math here?

11-6 vs 11-5 is a -4% win% difference.

Bengals two losses to Balt represents 12.5% of their games so a -12.5% win% H2H. So Baltimore is the one that is actually getting screwed here? They shouldn't even need a coin flip!

Forget the math for a second. They are the only game with the coin flip option because it’s the only instance where the division is coming down to a heads up matchup and the finality of the division is off because of number of games played.(If Baltimore wins)

The coin flip only comes into play in that scenario playing the Bengals because why would Baltimore get a coin flip in any other scenario? 

IF Baltimore were to win week 18, they’d be 11-6 and Cincinnati 11-5. Baltimore would’ve beaten Cincinnati twice in that scenario. Baltimore would have the better division record in that scenario. So to me, the coin flip is fair because Baltimore has as much claim to the division, if not more, than Cincinnati. One canceled game really did create quite the conundrum. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wackywabbit said:

I agree with you on the coin flip clause being nonsense. Even if it was about being fair to the Ravens, it makes no sense for the coin flip to only apply against the Bengals if the Ravens get the 6 seed. If the Ravens win and move up to the 5 seed (Broncos beat Chargers) they don't get any chance of a home game.

This really does seem to have been put in to the prevent the Bengals and Ravens from resting for a week, since they otherwise have nothing on the line. Probably doesn't change the fact that the Bengals will face a practice squad QB, so we won't get to see this glorious coin flip.

You know the league has f'ed it up royally when Bengals, Ravens and even Steelers fans all agree.  Getting them all to agree on anything not related to the Browns is harder than getting a Speaker of the House elected.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, BillSabre said:

Forget the math for a second. They are the only game with the coin flip option because it’s the only instance where the division is coming down to a heads up matchup and the finality of the division is off because of number of games played.(If Baltimore wins)

The coin flip only comes into play in that scenario playing the Bengals because why would Baltimore get a coin flip in any other scenario? 

IF Baltimore were to win week 18, they’d be 11-6 and Cincinnati 11-5. Baltimore would’ve beaten Cincinnati twice in that scenario. Baltimore would have the better division record in that scenario. So to me, the coin flip is fair because Baltimore has as much claim to the division, if not more, than Cincinnati. One canceled game really did create quite the conundrum. 

Except we'd still have a better winning percentage, THE PREXISTING POLICY before Hamlin's injury, get a first place schedule next season, etc.  But not the home game.  So in essence, we get the t-shirts and a harder schedule but they get HFA, which is supposedly what players are always playing for.

Let's try to hear your opinion on the opposite side.  Since the Bengals controlled their own fate before Monday's game was cancelled, and keeping in mind that you agree with a coin flip with Baltimore even though their winning percentage would still be less even with a victory, should there be a coin flip in any game in the playoffs for the Bengals/Bills?  And if you say no, I can't wait to hear the justification, so please include it.

And if KC loses this weekend, should there not be a coin flip in any game involving the Chiefs and Bengals, whether in the divisional round if KC loses to Denver, or the AFCCG, which has already been "moved" to a neutral site.?  

Edited by INbengalfan

43 minutes ago, BillSabre said:

So should KC have to travel to Buffalo regardless since they beat them earlier and are separated by the same 1/2 game that the Ravens would be behind the Bengals, with the Bills behind the Chiefs?  

They created these rules for COVID before that season started.  They have NEVER changed them mid season.  Yet here we are.

2 hours ago, BillSabre said:

I’m really not trying to argue with you or upset you. The coin flip is literally just the NFL trying to be fair to the Ravens as well. I get that you are frustrated. They were also affected by the cancellation in that scenario. 

You aren't upsetting me.  Bengals fans aren't even mad with the Bills.  They're upset with the double standard is all.  It's just another FU we got from the league.  Like let's neuter them before the playoffs or something stupid.  

I will say the one positive from all of this will be when Joe Burrow hears from Katie Blackburn who the 25 owners are who voted yes on it.  Then it's time for H3ll to pay.  Joe will have that list in his locker for quite awhile until he beats all 25.

Edited by INbengalfan

50 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

Except we'd still have a better winning percentage, THE PREXISTING POLICY before Hamlin's injury, get a first place schedule next season, etc.  But not the home game.  So in essence, we get the t-shirts and a harder schedule but they get HFA, which is supposedly what players are always playing for.

Let's try to hear your opinion on the opposite side.  Since the Bengals controlled their own fate before Monday's game was cancelled, and keeping in mind that you agree with a coin flip with Baltimore even though their winning percentage would still be less even with a victory, should there be a coin flip in any game in the playoffs for the Bengals/Bills?  And if you say no, I can't wait to hear the justification, so please include it.

And if KC loses this weekend, should there not be a coin flip in any game involving the Chiefs and Bengals, whether in the divisional round if KC loses to Denver, or the AFCCG, which has already been "moved" to a neutral site.?  

I’m going to try and answer all your questions here. I just want to clarify that I’m simply trying to explain how I see things. 

First question, NO, there should be no coin flip if the Bills and Bengals play each other. Here is why I say that. They have played the same amount of games. So there’s no issue. Win percentage stands and whoever should host will. 

If KC loses this weekend and the Bengals win, their respective records would be 13-4 and 12-4. So again, there wouldn’t be need for a coin toss. Better win percentage. 

If the Bengals lose to Baltimore, the records would be 11-5 and 11-6. Same amount of wins. I think that is where the coin flip enters. That scenario has the Bengals losing twice to Baltimore. That leaves Baltimore with a better division record as well. 

I’m not sure but I think the extra win vs same loss record and the same win vs extra loss record changes things. I may be wrong. 

I’m simply playing devils advocate here as to why the NFL chose this route and trying to make sense of it. Don’t shoot the messenger. 

* missed one 

If KC wins and we win, it’ll be the situation where they have one more win with same amount of losses just like the scenario if they lose and the Bengals win. So no, they wouldn’t travel to Buffalo. 

Let’s not forget in both those scenarios, IF either the Bills or Bengals have to face the Chiefs in the Championship, the league has stripped their HFA away. 

Edited by BillSabre

Who's in line to be the 7th seed? You got Jags, Pats, Dolphins, Steelers all in the mix. I have to believe Tua plays that WC game. Nonetheless, Pats/Steelers/Jags are the most dangerous seven seeds since 20' Colts. Bills in line to be royally ****ed. If the Chiefs win, I would rest Allen and Diggs and whomever else by the second half.

39 minutes ago, WheatieMan said:

Who's in line to be the 7th seed? You got Jags, Pats, Dolphins, Steelers all in the mix. I have to believe Tua plays that WC game. Nonetheless, Pats/Steelers/Jags are the most dangerous seven seeds since 20' Colts. Bills in line to be royally ****ed. If the Chiefs win, I would rest Allen and Diggs and whomever else by the second half.

Well it’s not gonna be the Patriots 

2 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

You know the league has f'ed it up royally when Bengals, Ravens and even Steelers fans all agree.  Getting them all to agree on anything not related to the Browns is harder than getting a Speaker of the House elected.

ha ha.. word