Head coaching candidates thread

paul-mac

Ryans to DEN

Gannon to HOU

Vance freaking Joseph to ARI

Payton back to Fox Network for 2023.

That's how the tea leaves seem to be falling.    Wow. 

EDIT:   Brian Flores & Aaron Glenn still possible for ARI.    Still....crazy times.

Edited by Broncofan

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Payton trying to save face? Or are the Walmarts over-controlling? 

This is pure Payton & agent spin.   Last week all the reports were how impressed he was with ownership.    Zero coincidence it came out just as CAR made their decision.   Payton & co. want to control the narrative that he's the one turning ppl down, not the other way around.

Don't get me wrong, I think very highly of him as a HC.  Just the pick price and the fear he'd bolt and leave us high and dry is real.   And that was at 1 1st.   A 1st and 3rd?  GTFO.  2 1sts?   Nothing personal, but there's the door.

NO FO really drove down Payton's market with their asking price.  I suspect after a year without any pick returns, they'll likely be a lot lower in their price next year (take a 1st and run from whichever org  is willing to offer it that Payton wants to go to).

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

Yeah, I just edited, forgot they interviewed him and are interested.    Anyone but Joseph (nice guy, but nothing he's done post-DEN suggests he's made tremendous progress).

Flores has so much going for him there - Patriot Way ties to the GM, a draft pick coming their way for the minority hire, likely a cheap “prove it” contract for a notoriously cheap owner, and a PR coup for hiring a guy who was heretofore ostracized for (rightfully) blowing the whistle on an, if not outwardly corrupt, then at least shady system.

That said, Flores is a typical Patriot Way HC and will almost certainly crash and burn, but there will be some good that comes from it for all concerned. 

6 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Flores has so much going for him there - Patriot Way ties to the GM, a draft pick coming their way for the minority hire, likely a cheap “prove it” contract for a notoriously cheap owner, and a PR coup for hiring a guy who was heretofore ostracized for (rightfully) blowing the whistle on an, if not outwardly corrupt, then at least shady system.

That said, Flores is a typical Patriot Way HC and will almost certainly crash and burn, but there will be some good that comes from it for all concerned. 

The other angle is someone needs to make Kyler Murray accountable.    Don't forget the Cards put in the required-video review clause in last year's extension that would have voided the guarantees if unfulfilled (but then backed out and pulled it when it became public for the negative PR it generated - too late IMO, if you need that clause, it speaks volumes on what you really think of the QB). 

Flores' assessment and handling of Tua can be second-guessed, but you won't ever accuse Flores of holding ppl accountable.   They could use that with Kyler.   ESP with Kyler not coming back until midseason post-ACL, being diligent in the rehab and film room while he recovers would be sorely needed.  

The BB my-way-or-highway MO doesn't work well if you don't win, but with Kyler Murray, it might be exactly what ownership & FO are looking for.  Kliff Kingsbury never taking on Kyler and his work ethic / prep certainly was a major problem the last 2 years as Kyler's growth curve flattened out...hard.

Edited by Broncofan

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

This is pure Payton & agent spin.   Last week all the reports were how impressed he was with ownership.    Zero coincidence it came out just as CAR made their decision.   Payton & co. want to control the narrative that he's the one turning ppl down, not the other way around.

Don't get me wrong, I think very highly of him as a HC.  Just the pick price and the fear he'd bolt and leave us high and dry is real.   And that was at 1 1st.   A 1st and 3rd?  GTFO.  2 1sts?   Nothing personal, but there's the door.

NO FO really drove down Payton's market with their asking price.  I suspect after a year without any pick returns, they'll likely be a lot lower in their price next year (take a 1st and run from whichever org  is willing to offer it that Payton wants to go to).

Payton clearly orchestrated this whole thing to look like the hot candidate - and again, he is a very good football coach - but I would bet he and Loomis are in cahoots to send him where he wants to go.

NO wouldn’t “trade” him within the division for less than the Gruden price. They wouldn’t trade him here for less than a 1 and a 3. That way, Loomis and the Saints look greedy and Payton can say “hey I have no control,” and wait for Dallas or LAC or LAR or whomever to offer him a job. Meanwhile he keeps his name hot and fawns for the cameras at Fox with his, I’m sure at least, $5m/year. 

Troy isn’t a hack, he’s not sending this out without a strong feeling that Ryans is very close.

And if it is Ryans, I love it. Swing for the fences, put together a good staff and let’s go. Long term in mind. If they land Ryans and give him a long contract and trust him, it’s not all about “fixing Russ” it shows the Walmarts aren’t playing the short game, the win-now. It shows to me they get it. 

I’ve been correct on all but 1 coach hire - I was right on Mac failing, on Fox righting the ship, on Kubes taking us over the top, on Vance being worse than Kyle and on Vic being too myopic and ill-prepared. I thought Hackett was a good hire so I’ll take my lumps there. So let’s hope my previous clairvoyance, pre-Hackett, remains intact. Haha. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican

I think one big difference between Ryans and the last 3 hires are that he *should* be able to pick a solid staff around him. I'd bet Evero sticks around as DC. Renck sort of said that. Would be interesting to see who the OC hire is because a lot will hinge on that. Hiring Ryans would be interesting given the potential personnel shift to a 4-3. We definitely do not have the players for that scheme at the moment.

Hopefully this deal is sealed behind the scenes. I don't think the Walmart clan is being overly controlling either btw, I think the Payton thing was him wanting a ton of control and us needing to give up a ton of picks, and perhaps that was too much of an issue.

• Like 1