Jump to content

Head coaching candidates thread


paul-mac
 Share

Recommended Posts

Thought it would be useful to have a separate thread from the Hackett stuff to discuss the way forward.

 

Three criteria for me:

 

- Been a head coach before and been at least competitive in previous stints 

 

- No nonsense type guy to fix the culture.

 

- Has a plan to fix Wilson, and will bring in an OC who can work with him. Wants to either keep Evero or bring in an equally competent DC. 
 


 

Some names worth discussing:

 

Sean Payton

Jim Harbaugh

Dan Quinn

Leslie Frazier

Raheem Morris

Brian Flores

Frank Reich

Rich Bisaccia 

Jim Caldwell

Mike Zimmer

Matt Nagy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd be looking for the following:

  • Has a plan to hold Russ/his entourage accountable
  • A coach who will bring an experienced staff
  • Some HC experience, but not necessarily my #1 criteria

I would be looking at Dan Quinn, Raheem Morris, Demeco Ryans, Sean Payton (extreme long shot)

Frank Reich (go Terps) would be an interesting OC hire, but I don't necessarily see him at HC.

I think Quinn/Schottenheimer are the obvious pairing because of the history with Russ. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

I'd be looking for the following:

  • Has a plan to hold Russ/his entourage accountable
  • A coach who will bring an experienced staff
  • Some HC experience, but not necessarily my #1 criteria

I would be looking at Dan Quinn, Raheem Morris, Demeco Ryans, Sean Payton (extreme long shot)

Frank Reich (go Terps) would be an interesting OC hire, but I don't necessarily see him at HC.

I think Quinn/Schottenheimer are the obvious pairing because of the history with Russ. 

I would also add Shane Steichen to this list. I think he's going to be a tremendous coach, especially given what he's done in Philly. I'm not sure he'll want to come here, but I hope we bring him in for an interview.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

I'd be looking for the following:

  • Has a plan to hold Russ/his entourage accountable
  • A coach who will bring an experienced staff
  • Some HC experience, but not necessarily my #1 criteria

I would be looking at Dan Quinn, Raheem Morris, Demeco Ryans, Sean Payton (extreme long shot)

Frank Reich (go Terps) would be an interesting OC hire, but I don't necessarily see him at HC.

I think Quinn/Schottenheimer are the obvious pairing because of the history with Russ. 

A lot of this has probably been out there and I just never came across it, but the amount of authority and sense of superiority given to Wilson before ever even taking a snap here is mind blowing.

I know he wanted star treatment and to build his brand and felt Seattle wasn’t allowing it.  I understood when he was traded here allowing him that access would be part of the deal, but some of this stuff I am reading is insane to me.  

Don’t know how much of it is true, but I’m reading things about his own office, a park spot for himself as well as spots for “his team” staff members having to go through “his team” to communicate with him.  Wilson basically running the offense and building the gameplan with guidance from Hackett and other offensive coaches.

It was a perfect storm with Hackett.  I think Hackett genuinely values being likable.  Hackett and Wilson came to Denver at the same time.  This never allowed Hackett to establish HIS culture and the 10 year veteran QB getting paid $250M and given unprecedented power came in and ran Hackett and the staff over.  

@broncos67, I saw you mentioned Steichen as a possible candidate.  I think he’s been phenomenal with Philadelphia and what he does with that offense and Hurts.  However, based off of what I am reading about Wilson this team has to go with a veteran with a track record.  Someone whom Wilson can’t run over, similar to Carroll in Seattle.  

Denver’s got to put a full court press on John Harbaugh and Sean Payton after those 2 I think Frank Reich would be my 3rd candidate.

They gave an egomaniac keys to the car and he drove it off a cliff.  It’s one thing if the ego is all about winning (Tom Brady) but another when it’s about brand and image.

I know they can’t, but I wish they’d just cut Wilson.  It’s going to be so hard for me to cheer for that guy.  I know winning cures a lot, but to trade what we did for him, sign him to a $250M contract and then read how he has operated within the organization is disgusting.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Now, the “reporter” is Josina Anderson who is a complete joke, and this was listed on MHR with the homers there calling them “exciting” options, which I find hysterical. 

Bevell, Bienemy and Quinn hard no’s for me. Bevell is terrible, Bienemy is a hot name every year and his ties to CU and his time in KC make him a name the casual fans always seem to like, again no idea why. As I’ve outlined many times, Quinn would be an awful hire but I wouldn’t be surprised to see him get the job given that the morons at Dove Valley have no idea what they’re doing and think they can “fix” Russ with Quinn/Schottenheimer. 

I like Ryans but he’s the very definition of a “hot coordinator” - one year coordinator, with a stacked roster, on a very good team under a powerful head coach, those hires almost always fail. Ditto with Steichen, who I do find intriguing, but it would be a huge roll of the dice in a very young, very green hot coordinator from a good team with a good offense.

Harbaugh isn’t on this list and he’s my top choice. Might be too big of a personality for the Walmarts plus they don’t know football so odds are they’ll overlook some candidates. 

Another name I’ve mentioned for years and years now is David Shaw, no idea why he never gets consideration here. With Dr. Rice having ties to Stanford I’m sure she could be an advocate for him, but who knows if the Walmarts will listen. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, germ-x said:

A lot of this has probably been out there and I just never came across it, but the amount of authority and sense of superiority given to Wilson before ever even taking a snap here is mind blowing.

I know he wanted star treatment and to build his brand and felt Seattle wasn’t allowing it.  I understood when he was traded here allowing him that access would be part of the deal, but some of this stuff I am reading is insane to me.  

Don’t know how much of it is true, but I’m reading things about his own office, a park spot for himself as well as spots for “his team” staff members having to go through “his team” to communicate with him.  Wilson basically running the offense and building the gameplan with guidance from Hackett and other offensive coaches.

It was a perfect storm with Hackett.  I think Hackett genuinely values being likable.  Hackett and Wilson came to Denver at the same time.  This never allowed Hackett to establish HIS culture and the 10 year veteran QB getting paid $250M and given unprecedented power came in and ran Hackett and the staff over.  

@broncos67, I saw you mentioned Steichen as a possible candidate.  I think he’s been phenomenal with Philadelphia and what he does with that offense and Hurts.  However, based off of what I am reading about Wilson this team has to go with a veteran with a track record.  Someone whom Wilson can’t run over, similar to Carroll in Seattle.  

Denver’s got to put a full court press on John Harbaugh and Sean Payton after those 2 I think Frank Reich would be my 3rd candidate.

They gave an egomaniac keys to the car and he drove it off a cliff.  It’s one thing if the ego is all about winning (Tom Brady) but another when it’s about brand and image.

I know they can’t, but I wish they’d just cut Wilson.  It’s going to be so hard for me to cheer for that guy.  I know winning cures a lot, but to trade what we did for him, sign him to a $250M contract and then read how he has operated within the organization is disgusting.  

Great post Germ. 

Here’s the thing, you say they “can’t” just cut Wilson. They very much can. Just take it on the chin write off 2023. They won’t. But it’s not that they can’t cut him. 

In such a case, I would hire a hot coordinator like Steichen or Ryans and tell them 2023 is a free year to learn with zero expectations, absent a major scandal they get at least ‘24 and ‘25 to prove their meddle. 

Instead, what they’re going to do the Quinn/Schottenheimer pairing, sell the fanbase on this will fix Russ while keeping a very good defense (I can hear Klis now parroting the “if they averaged just 18 PPG they’d have been a playoff team” line), get some luck with injuries and compete for a playoff spot.

I’m calling it now.

Of course, it’s not going to work as Russ is not fixable and Quinn is a overhyped loser whose only winning seasons came with Kyle & Co. running the offense. But it is what will happen, I’m basically sure of it. 

We will be back here in 2 years after this fails. The good news is then we will be free of the Russ contract and then we will get to watch the Walmarts fail on the GM hire as well as George will be axed alongside Quinn and the rest of the staff.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m not getting my hopes up for this hire. Who will want to be on their career that they can fix Russell Wilson?? I believe we can count out Shane Steichen and any hot name coordinator as why would they bet their fist HC opportunity on this fire storm with it all being on can you get Russell Wilson playing like he’s played before. I think our only choices are going to be guys who haven’t gotten a shot and this would be their only shot at a HC job or a 2nd time HC who doesn’t have much to lose if it doesn’t work out and can go back to another staff as a coordinator or some other sort of staff position and are okay with that

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Great post Germ. 

Here’s the thing, you say they “can’t” just cut Wilson. They very much can. Just take it on the chin write off 2023. They won’t. But it’s not that they can’t cut him. 

In such a case, I would hire a hot coordinator like Steichen or Ryans and tell them 2023 is a free year to learn with zero expectations, absent a major scandal they get at least ‘24 and ‘25 to prove their meddle. 

Instead, what they’re going to do the Quinn/Schottenheimer pairing, sell the fanbase on this will fix Russ while keeping a very good defense (I can hear Klis now parroting the “if they averaged just 18 PPG they’d have been a playoff team” line), get some luck with injuries and compete for a playoff spot.

I’m calling it now.

Of course, it’s not going to work as Russ is not fixable and Quinn is a overhyped loser whose only winning seasons came with Kyle & Co. running the offense. But it is what will happen, I’m basically sure of it. 

We will be back here in 2 years after this fails. The good news is then we will be free of the Russ contract and then we will get to watch the Walmarts fail on the GM hire as well as George will be axed alongside Quinn and the rest of the staff.

I would not be opposed to cutting Wilson, that’s for sure.

As for the coaches from Josina Anderson.  I know I just said to go with a veteran HC, but I am with you on Quinn. Not only that, but it just feels like a complete catering toward Wilson and I am opposed to that. 

Of that list I’d be for Payton (obviously) and Ryans/Steichen next.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some names to cross off: 

-Matt Nagy, Anthony Lynn - truly awful HC candidates.    Showed out so poorly should probably never sniff an interview again, let alone serious consideration. 

-Eric Bienemy - if ppl worry about Hackett lesson bring unlearned I don’t know how you feel good about Bienemy when all control play calling and prep goes through Andy Reid.   And the sheer number of first-interview only cycles is a big flag.   Hard pass. 
 

-Sean Payton - nothing against him as a HC.  But if he’s bringing back Vic Fangio as DC neither side is going there.   Before ppl bring up Wade Phillips a) he was well liked and b) it was 21 years apart.   And the pick comp is an issue.   

———————-

Now out if possible HC’s left:

-I’d love Shane Steichen - but I suspect he’ll be choosing a team with a young QB.   
 

-Sadly I do think our choices come down to Frank Reich and D-first Coaches.   Reich is one of the best QB fixers around - just that his in-game management and other areas of HC have always fallen well behind his QBC talents.  And he’s become incredibly gunshy as an OC.   If we hired him as the top paid QBC it would be a great hire.  As a HC it’s more flawed.   
 

-No matter who we hire as HC though - if they would consider keeping DC Evero (assuming he doesn’t get hired as HC somewhere else) AND re-hire Mike Munchak as OL coach - I’d feel a lot better if their prospects to succeed.   Evero may turn it down but those 2 moves would show me HC acumen that was sorely lacking this time around and would be a godsend and head start to recovering from this disaster year.  


One part about Evero and comp picks - IIRC we can’t let him go and he then gets hired.   He still needs to be under contract for the team when he gets poached.   For that reason and obv merit-based I hope he’s not let go at end of season.    
 

I also think Evero’s earned an interview in the 1st round, even if he’s not our 2023 guy (he can always decline but we should offer an interview).   It would reinforce to the players that accountability works both ways. 

Edited by Broncofan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This isn’t a very desirable job despite what some of you may convince yourselves of. Having to be attached to Wilson with owners that don’t know football. Cap strapped and lack of some draft capital. Someone will take the job obviously but man this could be a major let down if hopes are high.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

This isn’t a very desirable job despite what some of you may convince yourselves of. Having to be attached to Wilson with owners that don’t know football. Cap strapped and lack of some draft capital. Someone will take the job obviously but man this could be a major let down if hopes are high.

I don’t know think we’re getting a top guy this cycle for the reasons cited (QB issue).  It’s too bad because we were in a much better spot last year and just whiffed completely. 

Cap-wise though it’s not as bad as it seems - Darby / Glasgow / McManus are goners IMO.   Which then gets us to 40M.   At 18M we’re already middle of pack - every other team will do the same as we will - but it’s not a major obstacle by itself.      
 

The killer obv is Wilson cap-wise and outlook-wise.   Whoever we hire will have to believe there’s a fix, even just to “average / slightly above average”.  

Edited by Broncofan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...