Head coaching candidates thread

paul-mac

3 hours ago, Scoundrel said:

I get why Ryans would want Houston but also surprised after how they did Culley and Lovie

He’s clearly a smart guy. I get family ties and all that are huge - as is the soft division and the multiple picks - but the crazy owner and a Patriot way GM would give me massive pause. 

In the same vein, however, we are quite a bit of a mess and the Walmarts have only proven they have money - money to spend on Jumbotrons and turf and upgrades to luxury suites to schmooze corporate sponsors - but as far as football goes, they are complete unknowns. Look at Tepper on Carolina, lots of money and bad football decisions and he at least had experience with the Steelers, the Steelers, as a minority owner. 

The NFL is a lot different than big box chain retail, you can’t just buy your way out of trouble or outspend the competitors. 

• Like 2

So the Broncos ownership took a 2nd run at Harbaugh, but didn't pan out.     Pretty much closes the door there.

Didn't offer a 2nd interview to Payton.....allowing him to have a day-long meeting with Arizona.  It would be shocking if we went back - that kind of decision, seems like that door is closed.

Ryans, we're in a holding pattern and no hire can be made until their team is eliminated, regardless.

Renck is obviously plugged in (not as much as Klis), it's hard not to come to the same conclusions here.    Ryans still has to be their top guy, otherwise they'd have moved on to Shaw, Caldwell, Morris or Evero.     That also calls into question how strongly they feel about the remaining 4.

As for the mystery guy - the only answer that aligns with NFL rules is that it's someone from a team still playing - because you can't interview them until next week.    CIN OC/DC I'd def be down with.    I should mention PHI DC Gannon would be another possible choice, he did interview last year too (not sure how I feel there TBH).   

Maybe there's an obvious #2 for the FO/ownership after Ryans out of those 4, but it sure doesn't seem like it right now.

Edited by Broncofan

Jesus what an absolute joke.  This has to be the franchise low point in my 25 years following the Broncos.  All 3 top candidates said “no thanks” and we’re looking down the barrel of 10+ years of Mahomes + Herbert in the division.  

If circling back for Quinn isn’t an option can we just keep punt on 2023 and circle back at this time next year w/ better draft capital and a marginally more appealing gig for the next cycle of candidates?  

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

Jesus what an absolute joke.  This has to be the franchise low point in my 25 years following the Broncos.  All 3 top candidates said “no thanks” and we’re looking down the barrel of 10+ years of Mahomes + Herbert in the division.  

If circling back for Quinn isn’t an option can we just keep punt on 2023 and circle back at this time next year w/ better draft capital and a marginally more appealing gig for the next cycle of candidates?  

I was going to say I don’t remember being this frustrated with this team before

• Like 1

I think like many others I don’t want a long term commitment to any of the candidates we are likely now having to settle for (or they are settling for us). I’d still like to stick with Evero. Give him a shot. If we keep him as DC for one year and he does a bang up job we likely lose him to a HC gig in 2024 anyway so give him the reins now. If he flounders at least we knew (obviously there are circumstances in place) and then we move forward. 

• Like 1

This is getting embarrassing at this point. Somehow the richest owners in the NFL have managed to completely whiff on all 3 big name candidates. And they’re getting ready to make it 0 for 4 when Ryans goes to Houston. I don’t know if it’s something our new owners are saying during the interview process that keeps scaring people away, or if Denver was so much of a dumpster fire this season that no one wants any part of it. But Barring some sort of surprise candidate we haven’t heard about yet, this team is looking screwed. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 1234567 said:

This is getting embarrassing at this point. Somehow the richest owners in the NFL have managed to completely whiff on all 3 big name candidates. And they’re getting ready to make it 0 for 4 when Ryans goes to Houston. I don’t know if it’s something our new owners are saying during the interview process that keeps scaring people away, or if Denver was so much of a dumpster fire this season that no one wants any part of it. But Barring some sort of surprise candidate we haven’t heard about yet, this team is looking screwed. 

It’s all to get their Stanford guy Shaw... how do we justify it... by having all other candidates “pass” on us (scare them away). Hope I’m wrong. 

It is less so the fact that we have yet to get our guy- except for the Panthers and seemingly the Texans, no teams in this cycle have.

It is this ill-planned search that becomes increasingly embarrassing!

As I expect the Eagles and Bengals to win tonight, interviewing their coordinators becomes a tight-rope walk I am not sure the Waltons are willing to make, thereby likely having to miss out on potentially better candidates in comparison to the ones already interviewed and realistically available, all simply for thinking that by now their deep pockets would have covered up the warts of the Wilson contract and low draft capital to entice their original top three, Harbaugh, Payton and Ryans.

This is how Browns fans must have felt like when Jimmy Haslam took a handful of seasons to learn competent NFL ownership on the fly.

Edited by BroncoinGermany
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

It’s all to get their Stanford guy Shaw... how do we justify it... by having all other candidates “pass” on us (scare them away). Hope I’m wrong. 

The dude went 14-28 over his last 4 seasons. You’d better be wrong lmao or the fans are gonna revolt. 

• Like 2