Head coaching candidates thread

paul-mac

12 hours ago, AKRNA said:

I don't really think they've whiffed. Just they haven't got the right guy. Earlier on you posted how much Jerry did in such a short time and how it changed the total perception of this team. I think that's complicated the owners decision immensely.

Through 15 games we were an absolute dumpster fire on offense. I couldn't see any hope for our offense and just hoped they'd bring in an offensive minded coach and keep Evero around. After 17 games my interest and opinion changed drastically. 

You had a couple of really good, perceptive posts about this whole thing. Jerry  got amazing results without doing much. Biggest change IMO was getting Hackett out of the equation IE: Game planning, play calling, strategy. 

Now I'm curious how Outten and Kubiak could do without him for a season. I think they'd do really well. With Evero continuing his work on D,  Kubiak/Outten doing their thing and ST improvement we could be very good. I'd like to see that approach given a chance. 

The FO thought they'd be replacing Hackett,  a can't miss selection. Now they're replacing Jerry who gave us something to think about. A much more difficult task.   

Let’s hope so mate. It’s sure starting to look like a mess to me, but we’ll see. That’s the ***** of it; I don’t think it has to be a legendary hire to get us competitive but we’re quickly running out of experienced, proven candidates. 

On 1/29/2023 at 12:11 PM, BroncoinGermany said:

Now names like Gannon, Callahan and Kafka are being mentioned as new targets.

One question:

Why Kafka? 

Gannon I get, Callahan less so, Kafka not at all.

Why not Kafka?  We are in the metamorphosis of going from a human football team into a bug.  It makes sense to me. 

• Like 1

Man I've been feening for a crumb of info all day and so far, it's been crickets from everyone. Peter King said nothing about the Broncos in his weekly column today, while Allbright, Schefter, Klis, Rapport, and the other guys from the NFLN have all been largely silent about anything regarding the Broncos coaching search. I hope we learning SOMETHING by the end of the day.

Edited by BroncoSojia

26 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

They’re going to panic and throw a king’s ransom of picks to the Saints for Payton. I’m feeling it in my bones. 

I actually think this is the least likely option. I think it's far more likely Harbaugh is paid a king's ransom and we give him full control.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BroncoinGermany said:

Is there a non-Harbaugh face-saving candidate out there?

I would say no.

The Denver media has done the fans of this team a huge disservice with the way this has been covered, IMO. The Broncos simply need to get the hire right. It doesn't matter what the process is to get there. As long as they succeed, all will be forgiven. If the candidate we end up hiring isn't the biggest name, but Denver wins 12 games next year, no one is going to care one bit what the coaching search looked like. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

I actually think this is the least likely option. I think it's far more likely Harbaugh is paid a king's ransom and we give him full control.

Yeah I really think that’s where the debate is inside Dove Valley right now.  

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

The Denver media has done the fans of this team a huge disservice with the way this has been covered, IMO. The Broncos simply need to get the hire right. It doesn't matter what the process is to get there. As long as they succeed, all will be forgiven. If the candidate we end up hiring isn't the biggest name, but Denver wins 12 games next year, no one is going to care one bit what the coaching search looked like. 

All the reporters, and I’m personal friends with one of them, have been so used to the previous regime that they knew to whom to talk and when to leak what they were told. The Walmarts are running this likes a national security intelligence operation. 

The problem is the local media can be your biggest ally or your worst enemy. The way they’re - the Walmarts - keeping this thing so secretive is not likely to make them any friends. New Jumbotrons won’t save the day. 

The Walmarts are keeping things so tight to the vest - George is under a gag order from what I understand and Patrick Smyth is completely frozen out  - that no one knows. That why Klis says on The Fan there’s a mystery candidate, then tweets the original 8 are still alive while someone else says that Evero, Shaw, Caldwell and Morris have been told they’re moving on. Even Bill Belichick and  Bob Kraft are rolling their eyes at how secretive this process has been. 

Now, this might end with a great coach hired, but the Walmarts’ lack of NFL experience and their deliberate (and it can’t be anything but at this point) obstruction, obfuscation and disinformation campaign is not winning them any friends. That will come back to bite them in the *** if and when the new hire falls on his face. 

1. It’s not the team’s job to play nice with the media, it’s their job to get this hire right. Full stop, end of conversation. It’s the media’s job to find answers wherever possible, and by any legal/ethical means available to them. 

2. Man, we gotta CHILL, you guys. One of five HC vacancies has been filled so far. One. We’re not behind the 8-ball here, this is normal process. Take a breath. Go outside. 

• Like 4

I didn’t hear it, but Schefter was apparently on The Fan and said “no no no” to any chance of Harbaugh.

Now Schefter enjoys a good reputation for some reason but he is also a pawn of agents. That said, the Walmarts have shown no hands in this so Harbaugh’s agent could be telling Schefter he’s a “no no no” in an attempt sweeten the deal from us, from Michigan or both, which would be very Harbaugh. 

Seriously this whole thing has been run like a CIA intelligence operation as the Walmarts have no clue what they’re doing and think keeping everyone is the dark is the most opportune strategy. 

My guess is that at some point in the next 2 weeks that we will get a drop that XX has been hired as head coach. There is really no sense in trying to follow this thing until that drops. 

Abysmal, absolutely clueless ownership group. At this point I’d prefer Brittany Bowlen with Joe Ellis advising as COO. This was my fear with new owners - moneyed but clueless.