Head coaching candidates thread

paul-mac

25 minutes ago, germ-x said:

What’s factual and what’s not can be debated, but the information we fans have certainly seems concerning. 

That’s where what dan was saying about the media being your friend or your enemy comes back into play. What information have we actually gotten? We’ve received a bunch of speculation on the part of the media, most of it has turned out to be false (hunting trip was actually a visit to Harbaugh. We were all in on Peyton but apparently we never even talked compensation with the saints. The candidates being told they are out of the running was leaked right when it looked like Ryan’s was a sure bet to be our coach. No one (the team or the candidates) have confirmed this. 

it appears that we are in continued talks with our #1 choice (Harbaugh). We don’t know what the sticking point is (does he want to be defacto GM? A lot of college coaches do)

our apparent #2 appears to be choosing family and familiarity 

who is our #3? Are we waiting to talk to the eagles coordinators? Were we waiting to speak to the bengals coordinators? For all we know they have meetings scheduled this week with Brian Callahan.

the fact is we don’t know much, again because they are keeping it close to the vest. That doesn’t mean they are disorganized, it just means the WE feel disorganized because we’re not getting the information we’re used to

Edited by broncos_fan _from _uk
  • Like 2

Well FWIW Rapsheet just went on the McAfree show and says it's still between Harbaugh & Payton.  He also says the most DEN gives is the 2023 SF 1st plus maybe a mid-round pick.     

An important landmark date happens tomorrow - CFB's signing day.   I guess it's possible Harbaugh's trying to transition with a team in place (still seems crazy to me after making his declaration, but he also doesn't have a new contract with UM, either).  

My guess is we won't hear anything official until later this week at earliest - it does seem that the ownership feels like Payton's status can wait until they definitely rule out Harbaugh.  Crazy if true.

Edited by Broncofan

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

Well FWIW Rapsheet just went on the McAfree show and says it's still between Harbaugh & Payton.  He also says the most DEN gives is the 2023 SF 1st plus maybe a mid-round pick.     

An important landmark date happens tomorrow - CFB's signing day.   I guess it's possible Harbaugh's trying to transition with a team in place (still seems crazy to me after making his declaration, but he also doesn't have a new contract with UM, either).  

My guess is we won't hear anything official until later this week at earliest - it does seem that the ownership feels like Payton's status can wait until they definitely rule out Harbaugh.  Crazy if true.

Last year, Harbaugh was interviewing with the Vikings on signing day. He seems to run on his own timeline entirely. 

5 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

I agree with Dan on the fact that the media has started to turn on the Owners. Denver Media has long been….confrontational. Under Elway some of them experienced a level of transparency not before seen. Not under Joshy, not under shanahan (remember Shefter breaking the Portis for Bailey news? It came out of no where!) True mouth pieces of the team (klis and Renk among them) got used to having this insight. This coincided with the rise of twitter and the need (both on their part and the part of the fan) for instant information.

your Albrights of the world were always just aggregators of this information without any real insight who would then repeat what they gathered with their own speculation thrown in at the end.

all of that has changed. The owners have returned to the old ways. This has led to former mouth pieces being reduced to the level of Albright. This hurts their egos. Their speculations have proven wrong. Instead of admitting that it was (in retrospect wrong) speculation they are instead laying the chaos created by THIER speculation at the feet of the owners making the owners appear disorganized and desperate. 

we as fans, unfortunately have gotten used to coaching searches going a certain way (6 non-interim HC in the last 14 years will do that). But who remembers the Mike Shanahan coaching search? I only remember snippets (mainly Denver talk jocks complaining about how he couldn’t even win in LA). Talking with my dad he says this year feels like that search. @AKRNA? Would you agree with that?

I think you're right on most of this post. Every time I hear a press rumor I try to find verification. From ownership there never is any. The press seems to be speculating on speculation and keep falling on their faces. It's gettin' pretty funny IMO.

The Shanahan hire was in a class by itself. It literally lasted 3 years. It started with Reeves. The FO wanted to replace him with Mike but thought that was a bad look. Mike goes to the Raiders and Wade takes over here. Many thought he was just a bookmark waiting for Mike.

So, Wade get fired, Mike gets fired, lawsuits ensue, Denver hires Mike.

Seriously, the rumors and speculation lasted 3 years and by the time we hired him it was basically a foregone conclusion. Toss in the Al Davis factor and it was a circus.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, broncos67 said:

So we're trading a first and second round pick for a coach and a 3rd? This is, without a doubt, as bad as the Wilson trade. Why are we trading premium assets for a coach? It's INSANE to trade any asset for a coach, let alone TWO premium assets over two years.

I agree. I’m sure Payton will have a ton of personnel influence as well.

If I’m George I just resign. If the Walmarts think they can run the team so well, let them do it.

F-this. 

• Like 1

Just now, AnAngryAmerican said:

I agree. I’m sure Payton will have a ton of personnel influence as well.

If I’m George I just resign. If the Walmarts think they can run the team so well, let them do it.

F-this. 

Dreadful decision. Going all in to try and win a SB with Russ in the next 2-3 years and they're going to cripple the long-term viability of the team in order to get there. 

We had three picks in the Top 70 this year. Enough to fill the gaps in the team with some cheap talent. Now, nothing until Round 3. We give up another premium pick next year, and, with only $13MM in cap room currently, we need to make decisions about Dre'Mont and some other players?

Yikes. I'm usually not this pessimistic, but I absolutely hate the hire because of what it likely means for the medium/long term future of the team. I think Payton is a very good coach, but I don't like the decision.

If Denver does not make the playoffs next year, it's going to be a mutiny. There should be no excuses. This move signals the belief that this was not just a playoff, but a Super Bowl contender that simply needed a coach, and I don't think that's even remotely true.

• Like 5