Head coaching candidates thread

paul-mac

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

So the Broncos ownership took a 2nd run at Harbaugh, but didn't pan out.     Pretty much closes the door there.

Didn't offer a 2nd interview to Payton.....allowing him to have a day-long meeting with Arizona.  It would be shocking if we went back - that kind of decision, seems like that door is closed.

Ryans, we're in a holding pattern and no hire can be made until their team is eliminated, regardless.

Renck is obviously plugged in (not as much as Klis), it's hard not to come to the same conclusions here.    Ryans still has to be their top guy, otherwise they'd have moved on to Shaw, Caldwell, Morris or Evero.     That also calls into question how strongly they feel about the remaining 4.

As for the mystery guy - the only answer that aligns with NFL rules is that it's someone from a team still playing - because you can't interview them until next week.    CIN OC/DC I'd def be down with.    I should mention PHI DC Gannon would be another possible choice, he did interview last year too (not sure how I feel there TBH).   

Maybe there's an obvious #2 for the FO/ownership after Ryans out of those 4, but it sure doesn't seem like it right now.

I think Mike Shanahan would be more of a surprise over anything, because these guys have been mentioned before.  If Ryans heads to Houston, surprise coach, Mike Shanahan...watch.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I think Mike Shanahan would be more of a surprise over anything, because these guys have been mentioned before.  If Ryans heads to Houston, surprise coach, Mike Shanahan...watch.

Troy shot that down the other day. Mike won’t coach in the league as long as Kyle is coaching in the league. He’s been pretty up front about that. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, BroncoinGermany said:

Now names like Gannon, Callahan and Kafka are being mentioned as new targets.

One question:

Why Kafka? 

Gannon I get, Callahan less so, Kafka not at all.

Kafka learned under Andy Reid, and then ran the Giants O under Daboll this year.   Daboll let Kafka run the O fully, so there's at least some work that's his, and his alone (as opposed to working under Reid, who has a hand in all aspects, including gameday).

Given the Giants OL was bottom 10 last year, and missed 2-3 starters all year long, had Danny Jones as their QB, and a bunch of WR's you'd never imagine would start on most teams, let alone be the top 3 (Isaiah Hodgins might end up being a decent WR2-3 on a team, but that's about it), Kafka's work is pretty impressive.   But, it's also only 1 year as a coordinator - and it doesn't tell us anything about his ability as a HC, either.

From a coordinator perspective, you do like to see 2+ years of success - because you want to know if they can adapt when the opponents adjust to your initial scheme.   We don't have that with Kafka.   So yeah, I get the skepticism off just 1 year.    As a decent example, Kellen Moore was the hot property a few offseasons ago, and then ppl got less interested as he struggled to adjust to D's (he had success this year, but safe to say he wasn't the same hot rising star name as he was 2+ years ago).  

For the same reasons, Callahan does interest me.   He's got a longer track record of success.   Gannon's success this year helps his case more (he was less understandable last year, for the same reasons with Kafka - only 1 year, and frankly, PHI's performance on D wasn't really that great given their talent/opposition).  

Last week @Broncofan taught me that the HC search process has to happen every time you dismiss a HC. Also last week the Broncos put out a feel good statement about Rosburg kind of a "we love Jerry" thing and they want him back in some category. They also specifically mentioned letting his contract expire and a process playing out.

Considering what I view as a very lackluster coaching search, could be Jerry's their guy and they're just going through the process.

37 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Last week @Broncofan taught me that the HC search process has to happen every time you dismiss a HC. Also last week the Broncos put out a feel good statement about Rosburg kind of a "we love Jerry" thing and they want him back in some category. They also specifically mentioned letting his contract expire and a process playing out.

Considering what I view as a very lackluster coaching search, could be Jerry's their guy and they're just going through the process.

The one tough part about that angle is how Evero takes going through the  process and being left out after 3 candidates don’t work out.    

No matter who DEN hires now it’s hard to see Evero staying unless we keep blocking DC interviews and hold him to his contract.   

31 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Bud you’re starting to worry me a little bit. Jerry Rossburg is not going to be the next HC. It’s looking like it’s almost certainly going to be a young, “hot coordinator” type given the names that have started to leak out. Not saying that wold be a 

It’s also depressing that it’s really looking like we will lose Evero. 

OK I’m just confused now.   Pelissero is now reporting that Harbaugh is only interested in the DEN job.  And that Penner met this week but didn’t make an offer.    And Harbaugh still open to going to NFL but only if it’s Denver.   

If you’re out on Ryans and you let Payton interview with ARI and haven’t booked a 2nd interview - and you let the other 4 candidates know they’re out, including Evero - you gotta make the offer to Harbaugh now and know where you stand.   

Crazy times.  

Edited by Broncofan