Head coaching candidates thread

paul-mac

27 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

OK I’m just confused now.   Pelissero is now reporting that Harbaugh is only interested in the DEN job.  And that Penner met this week but didn’t make an offer.    And Harbaugh still open to going to NFL but only if it’s Denver.   

If you’re out on Ryans and you let Payton interview with ARI and haven’t booked a 2nd interview - and you let the other 4 candidates know they’re out, including Evero - you gotta make the offer to Harbaugh now and know where you stand.   

Crazy times.  

Corporate hubris.

This is the problem with non-football people making football decisions. You can’t move like molasses in the NFL like you can when you’re hiring the Chief Slave Labor Officer. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The one tough part about that angle is how Evero takes going through the  process and being left out after 3 candidates don’t work out.    

No matter who DEN hires now it’s hard to see Evero staying unless we keep blocking DC interviews and hold him to his contract.   

Unless he wasn't really left out. It's just as likely he doesn't feel ready and would be happy with Jerry as coach.

Anyway, just trying to read the tea leaves here. There just seems to be something off about this "search".

36 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Bud you’re starting to worry me a little bit. Jerry Rossburg is not going to be the next HC. It’s looking like it’s almost certainly going to be a young, “hot coordinator” type given the names that have started to leak out. Not saying that wold be a 

It’s also depressing that it’s really looking like we will lose Evero. 

Just trying to figure out what they're doing. There's something seriously off about the "search".

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

OK I’m just confused now.   Pelissero is now reporting that Harbaugh is only interested in the DEN job.  And that Penner met this week but didn’t make an offer.    And Harbaugh still open to going to NFL but only if it’s Denver.   

If you’re out on Ryans and you let Payton interview with ARI and haven’t booked a 2nd interview - and you let the other 4 candidates know they’re out, including Evero - you gotta make the offer to Harbaugh now and know where you stand.   

Crazy times.  

Thats what I'm saying, this is more than strange.

Harbaugh clearly is not committed to staying at Michigan and returning to the NFL. Michigan isn’t paying him yet and we probably aren’t offering him the deal he requires to leave Michigan so he’s playing both sides until one commits. 

Payton was a non-starter but they had to do due diligence and interview him and see where things stood.

Ryans was definitely a top candidate but if he prefers Houston because of familiarity and family plus he can build the team in his own image how do you beat that?

The media and local morons might be freaking out but personally I’d rather them do a full search and turn over every stone. We’ve fixated on one coach the past few hires and passed over some very good coaches. They do not need to rush a hire for the sake of making a hire IMO. 

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Kafka learned under Andy Reid, and then ran the Giants O under Daboll this year.   Daboll let Kafka run the O fully, so there's at least some work that's his, and his alone (as opposed to working under Reid, who has a hand in all aspects, including gameday).

Given the Giants OL was bottom 10 last year, and missed 2-3 starters all year long, had Danny Jones as their QB, and a bunch of WR's you'd never imagine would start on most teams, let alone be the top 3 (Isaiah Hodgins might end up being a decent WR2-3 on a team, but that's about it), Kafka's work is pretty impressive.   But, it's also only 1 year as a coordinator - and it doesn't tell us anything about his ability as a HC, either.

From a coordinator perspective, you do like to see 2+ years of success - because you want to know if they can adapt when the opponents adjust to your initial scheme.   We don't have that with Kafka.   So yeah, I get the skepticism off just 1 year.    As a decent example, Kellen Moore was the hot property a few offseasons ago, and then ppl got less interested as he struggled to adjust to D's (he had success this year, but safe to say he wasn't the same hot rising star name as he was 2+ years ago).  

For the same reasons, Callahan does interest me.   He's got a longer track record of success.   Gannon's success this year helps his case more (he was less understandable last year, for the same reasons with Kafka - only 1 year, and frankly, PHI's performance on D wasn't really that great given their talent/opposition).  

Good post! Makes sense. Thanks 👍🏼

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Unless he wasn't really left out. It's just as likely he doesn't feel ready and would be happy with Jerry as coach.

Anyway, just trying to read the tea leaves here. There just seems to be something off about this "search".

It doesn't make sense though to go through this without being serious - and then interviewing Evero (he doesn't even count as a Rooney rule candidate), only to tell him he's not in the running.   

But I can't argue this process is going to any known convention at this point.  

6 minutes ago, broncosfan07 said:

Harbaugh clearly is not committed to staying at Michigan and returning to the NFL. Michigan isn’t paying him yet and we probably aren’t offering him the deal he requires to leave Michigan so he’s playing both sides until one commits. 

[...]

The whole Harbaugh situation is difficult to grasp. Even today with the reports coming out that Penner had a second secret meeting with him in Ann Arbor, some say in light of that meeting that he would come back to the NFL for us while some mention that Denver would be one (!) team he could potentially come back for.

Harbaugh was my first choice from the get-go but his politicking and/or indecisiveness is off-putting.

29 minutes ago, BroncoinGermany said:

The whole Harbaugh situation is difficult to grasp. Even today with the reports coming out that Penner had a second secret meeting with him in Ann Arbor, some say in light of that meeting that he would come back to the NFL for us while some mention that Denver would be one (!) team he could potentially come back for.

Harbaugh was my first choice from the get-go but his politicking and/or indecisiveness is off-putting.

He’s been my choice too. The Walmarts just need to offer him a deal NOW. If he rejects it, fine, but get this resolved. The SB is 2 weeks away and then you’ve got 32 team balls to the wall for free agents, draft strategy, etc. make a hire and get a staff together already. This isn’t the corporate world. The longer this drags on the more I’m blaming the Walmarts. 

Overall I'm a bit torn on this whole thing. On one hand I'm trying to be optimistic and positive with the thought that in the end it's only a good thing that we're doing things with due diligence and will end up ultimately with the best possible coach. 

Broncos fans tend to be impatient and overly critical but with the way things have gone in the past six years it's starting to become more and more justified. 

I'll reserve ultimate judgment until we see how this pans out through the offseason and into next year but really becoming difficult to have any sort of optimism with this new ownership group. 

• Like 3

In my life I've seen two systems that IMO are the best at maximizing talent and producing great results, those being Fangio's defense and the Walsh WCO. The last two games of this season we saw what that marriage would look like with good ST play. A total of 27 payers on IR, coming off one of the worst performances in our history and giving the top two teams in our division all they could handle. I want to see more, a full season's worth. Whoever we hire as HC should continue that.

What concerns me is that most of our candidates would toss it all and start over, kinda like last year. 

We need to take the concept of the Hypocratic oath and "do no harm". It's why I like Rosburg. He took what we had, made a couple of small tweaks, made some necessary firings and turned out a result beyond any of our expecations. 

So, an initial look at the candidates I thought Quinn might be the best possible chance at retaining that. A little more research though and I see why they're back talking to Harbaugh. He's the first NFL HC that ever married the two systems together with terrific results. 

We don't need a drastic "sledgehammer" approach to our team. As @1234567 has pointed out a few times, the last two games emphasized that. I think Harbaugh might just be the guy that would take over where Jerry left off, leave most of the staff in tact, use a scalpel and make only necessary changes (IE: O Line coaches) and see what happens.

After all, he's done exactly that before.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

In my life I've seen two systems that IMO are the best at maximizing talent and producing great results, those being Fangio's defense and the Walsh WCO. The last two games of this season we saw what that marriage would look like with good ST play. A total of 27 payers on IR, coming off one of the worst performances in our history and giving the top two teams in our division all they could handle. I want to see more, a full season's worth. Whoever we hire as HC should continue that.

What concerns me is that most of our candidates would toss it all and start over, kinda like last year. 

We need to take the concept of the Hypocratic oath and "do no harm". It's why I like Rosburg. He took what we had, made a couple of small tweaks, made some necessary firings and turned out a result beyond any of our expecations. 

So, an initial look at the candidates I thought Quinn might be the best possible chance at retaining that. A little more research though and I see why they're back talking to Harbaugh. He's the first NFL HC that ever married the two systems together with terrific results. 

We don't need a drastic "sledgehammer" approach to our team. As @1234567 has pointed out a few times, the last two games emphasized that. I think Harbaugh might just be the guy that would take over where Jerry left off, leave most of the staff in tact, use a scalpel and make only necessary changes (IE: O Line coaches) and see what happens.

After all, he's done exactly that before.

No reason at all to assume Rosburg would keep things how they were. His two game stint, continuity was by necessity. For all we know, he’d want to nuke the whole operation if given the chance. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

No reason at all to assume Rosburg would keep things how they were. His two game stint, continuity was by necessity. For all we know, he’d want to nuke the whole operation if given the chance. 

I seriously doubt that but if that were the case I'd jettison him like a hot rock. 

My point being, I want a guy that will build on what we've got, not reinvent the wheel.