Head coaching candidates thread

paul-mac

6 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

So we're trading a first and second round pick for a coach and a 3rd? This is, without a doubt, as bad as the Wilson trade. Why are we trading premium assets for a coach? It's INSANE to trade any asset for a coach, let alone TWO premium assets over two years.

We'll see how well he does without Brees. This is absurd. 

3 firsts, 3 seconds and a 3rd for Wilson and a HC that's done nothing without Brees. 

If for nothing else than the sheer contract, the goal is to revitalize Wilson, is it not?

Aside from Harbaugh, my first choice, who would have had a more realistic shot at that than Payton?

Hate the fact that we had to sacrifice draft capital yet from the eventual candidate list, Payton was and still is one of the top choice.

Bittersweetly happy about it!

18 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Dreadful decision. Going all in to try and win a SB with Russ in the next 2-3 years and they're going to cripple the long-term viability of the team in order to get there. 

We had three picks in the Top 70 this year. Enough to fill the gaps in the team with some cheap talent. Now, nothing until Round 3. We give up another premium pick next year, and, with only $13MM in cap room currently, we need to make decisions about Dre'Mont and some other players?

Yikes. I'm usually not this pessimistic, but I absolutely hate the hire because of what it likely means for the medium/long term future of the team. I think Payton is a very good coach, but I don't like the decision.

If Denver does not make the playoffs next year, it's going to be a mutiny. There should be no excuses. This move signals the belief that this was not just a playoff, but a Super Bowl contender that simply needed a coach, and I don't think that's even remotely true.

Overall I agree about the compensation BUT to me - I felt like Ryans was probably the only great candidate out there. And he wasn't coming to Denver. Which is unfortunate.

So if Payton ends up being a solid to good HC. I would take that over another solid HC or a bust. There is an adult in the room and a guy with an impressive track record.

So, while I also hate the compensation, to me he probably seems like the best bet on the board. And if we now have a good HC that is major. Of course .... it could always work out terribly and we are out a valuable pick 

1 minute ago, champ11 said:

Overall I agree about the compensation BUT to me - I felt like Ryans was probably the only great candidate out there. And he wasn't coming to Denver. Which is unfortunate.

So if Payton ends up being a solid to good HC. I would take that over another solid HC or a bust. There is an adult in the room and a guy with an impressive track record.

So, while I also hate the compensation, to me he probably seems like the best bet on the board. And if we now have a good HC that is major. Of course .... it could always work out terribly and we are out two more valuable picks 

FIFY.