Head coaching candidates thread

paul-mac

One thing about it. There are zero excuses now if our offense continues to suck. And I do mean ZERO. At that point, you fire literally everyone. Just wish we hadn't mortgaged our entire future to find out. These are the kinds of moves that can nuke a franchise for a decade. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, BroncoinGermany said:

I mean, George spent a lot on Wilson both in draft currency and dollars. He could not have been too shocked. 

Very true.

And hindsight is 20/20 but when the Russ trade was made everyone - or almost everyone, shout out to @AKRNA for being correct at the time - loved the move. And the new contract was baked in when the trade was made, it was just waiting for the Walmarts to take over to put up the guaranteed capital for the extension, Ellis didn’t have the cash available to do that, both he and and the Walmarts conceded as such at the time. 

3 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Does Evero stay now because that would be two thirds after next year would kinda sooth the compensation. 

That’s a question I have. If he doesn’t get an HC job, and Sean’s rumored choice of Vic for DC is going to either Miami or SF, so why not being EE back? I hope they will. Foolish if they don’t. 

• Like 1

Been waiting for the spin and here it is: 

Payton was the best candidate. I’m sure 2/3 and 3/3 will mention draft pick compensation worries and how the Walmarts drove a hard bargain.

Now, at the end of the day, we landed a very good HC and the entire national NFL media will descend upon Dove Valley this week for the press conference. That’s what the Walmarts wanted - win the news cycle. 

I want to hear who Payton hires as coordinators and how long he plans to stick around. What if Russ is washed? What’s the plan then? How does he plan to assemble a team that can compete with Mahomes/Reid in KC?

• Like 2

He’s a great head coach and I don’t think it was even close to “all Brees” in New Orleans. Bree’s’ arm was pretty much shot on the best Saints teams he played for.

I didn’t want to give up the compensation either but after striking out on Harbaugh and Ryans, what was the alternative? A last second scramble for a first timer who would probably struggle to put a staff together at this stage? 

• Like 1

Payton only has one ring, yes. I don’t wanna spend a bunch of time making excuses for that, but on the other hand…he’s had some brutal luck in the playoffs. The whole defence spontaneously forgetting how to tackle Marshawn Lynch on that 65 yard TD run in 2010 . The missed PI call vs the Rams. The Minneapolis Miracle. Can’t really blame coaching on any of those. 

Anyways, he’s a great coach. If we’re getting +1 wins every year over the average HC, this is a phenomenal transaction.

• Like 1

That’s a lot of compensation 

but you had to ehhh man it’s alot

but you had to bite the bullet after the Russ contract. You’re stuck with him and if anybody is going to put Russ in the best position possible it’s Payton. 

You guys just gotta trade down with the picks you have and go quantity over quality. 

I’m glad I don’t have to see Hackett coaching y’all any more. That was horrible. 

• Like 1

The amount of draft compensation given up for an aging QB and a coach is what is absolutely insane though. Three firsts and three seconds, plus multiple players. Insanity. This move signifies the belief that we are a coach away from a SB. What else could it mean? Why else do you make the move? 

The Broncos continue to disappoint me in that they are doing stupid things to try and win once in a 3 year window and then wash, rinse, repeat.

We could have traded these picks for any young QB the last few years and hired a coach without the comp. It's just hard for me to see the vision here.

• Like 3