Head coaching candidates thread

paul-mac

14 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I didn’t hear it, but Schefter was apparently on The Fan and said “no no no” to any chance of Harbaugh.

Now Schefter enjoys a good reputation for some reason but he is also a pawn of agents. That said, the Walmarts have shown no hands in this so Harbaugh’s agent could be telling Schefter he’s a “no no no” in an attempt sweeten the deal from us, from Michigan or both, which would be very Harbaugh. 

Seriously this whole thing has been run like a CIA intelligence operation as the Walmarts have no clue what they’re doing and think keeping everyone is the dark is the most opportune strategy. 

My guess is that at some point in the next 2 weeks that we will get a drop that XX has been hired as head coach. There is really no sense in trying to follow this thing until that drops. 

Abysmal, absolutely clueless ownership group. At this point I’d prefer Brittany Bowlen with Joe Ellis advising as COO. This was my fear with new owners - moneyed but clueless. 

The failure in logic between ‘ownership isn’t leaking anything to the media, therefore they have no idea what they’re doing’ is hilarious. 10/10

• Like 3

1 hour ago, broncosfan_101 said:

1. It’s not the team’s job to play nice with the media, it’s their job to get this hire right. Full stop, end of conversation. It’s the media’s job to find answers wherever possible, and by any legal/ethical means available to them. 

2. Man, we gotta CHILL, you guys. One of five HC vacancies has been filled so far. One. We’re not behind the 8-ball here, this is normal process. Take a breath. Go outside. 

Ya gotta admit, the reactions are pretty entertaining. Having been through these for 60 years though it's always the same.

1) Put out a list of candidates            2) Interview said candidates             3) Announce your new HC and tell everybody he was your first choice all along.       

Then the press and fans jump in and second guess the choice. We're just waiting on #3 now.

• Like 1

Not sure why anybody thinks the team owes it to any of us or the media to let us know the process. Frankly I don’t give a damn as long as they are exploring any and all options to make the right hire. Boo hoo if they haven’t done this coaching hire to your liking, last I checked they bought the team they have every right to do as they see fit. If you want to ***** about the process I suggest making more money and buying your own team.

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Tell you guys what then, you don’t care about them being opaque about the process?

That’s fine.

Then don’t post.

When the Walmarts make their hire, whether that is tomorrow or two weeks from tomorrow or two months from tomorrow, I’ll look forward to hearing your opinions. 

I'm really not sure how they're not being transparent. I don't really see any significant difference between this HC search and the 15 or so others I've witnessed from this franchise. 

They announced their candidates. Media and fan speculation, rumors, etc. run rampant. They begin interviews and everybody starts reading into the process, IE: they talked to him twice, so and so said................., all just speculation by fans and the media. 

They select a candidate, announce him as the greatest thing since sliced bread, then fans and the media argue ad nauseam about whether or not it was a good hire.

I don't really see any difference between this and any other HC hire. Is there something I'm missing?

3 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Tell you guys what then, you don’t care about them being opaque about the process?

That’s fine.

Then don’t post.

When the Walmarts make their hire, whether that is tomorrow or two weeks from tomorrow or two months from tomorrow, I’ll look forward to hearing your opinions. 

More incoherent babble. No idea what you’re on about right now, but it’s certainly not logic of any sort. 

No matter what 'plan' or 'method' have in place the entire coaching search looks a mess. I think that the problems started when the Walmarts excluded Paton from the second round of interviews. You don't exclude the most senior executive with NFL experience from the most important football decisions of the last six years - a decision that could have ramifications for the next decade.

If they land Harbaugh then they will get away with it - but at this point Harbaugh has them over a barrel and can demand anything he wants.

If they don't land Harbaugh and Ryans has apparently told the Broncos he doesn't want the job - then the sh*t will hit the fan.

I'd also point out there's a number of teams who have not hired a HC yet. If every spot was filled and Denver was just sitting around, I think the tone should be more questioning. As it stands, others have not accepted jobs yet, including Demeco Ryans.

I don't know how we can say the ownership group is clueless. They might be clueless. Totally possible. But I don't think not landing a candidate you want means your clueless, I think it literally happens every day in every job.

• Like 3

I agree with Dan on the fact that the media has started to turn on the Owners. Denver Media has long been….confrontational. Under Elway some of them experienced a level of transparency not before seen. Not under Joshy, not under shanahan (remember Shefter breaking the Portis for Bailey news? It came out of no where!) True mouth pieces of the team (klis and Renk among them) got used to having this insight. This coincided with the rise of twitter and the need (both on their part and the part of the fan) for instant information.

your Albrights of the world were always just aggregators of this information without any real insight who would then repeat what they gathered with their own speculation thrown in at the end.

all of that has changed. The owners have returned to the old ways. This has led to former mouth pieces being reduced to the level of Albright. This hurts their egos. Their speculations have proven wrong. Instead of admitting that it was (in retrospect wrong) speculation they are instead laying the chaos created by THIER speculation at the feet of the owners making the owners appear disorganized and desperate. 

we as fans, unfortunately have gotten used to coaching searches going a certain way (6 non-interim HC in the last 14 years will do that). But who remembers the Mike Shanahan coaching search? I only remember snippets (mainly Denver talk jocks complaining about how he couldn’t even win in LA). Talking with my dad he says this year feels like that search. @AKRNA? Would you agree with that?

Edited by broncos_fan _from _uk

I would ask one big question... Who have we missed out on? 

1. Apparently Demeco, who had significant ties to go back to Houston. 

2. Maybe Harbaugh, but the door still seems open there. Reports are he wants to go to NFL and if he does Den is the job he wants. 

3. It doesn't seem as though anyone is that desperate for Payton. He certainly isn't saying no. 

4. If Quinn was a top candidate he wouldn't have gone back to Dal. 

So who have they missed out on? 

The Penner-Walton group is being very disciplined which is causing everyone to speculate. This is why seemingly every report is almost immediately contradicted by another. Or we think one thing, like "they were on a hunting trip" and realize not they didn't just take a week off they were in Ann Arbor talking to Harbaugh. Ownership understands that people may get huffy and puffy. However, you don't run Walmart without being used to criticism. So they don't care what fans or the media say right now. They understand that if they get this hire right, no-one is going to care how long it took and they will sing their praises. 

Edited by elwayfan07
  • Like 2

Obviously there are things happening behind closed doors that we are not aware of.  However, as a fan based on the only information we have received, this feels as if Denver has botched this process.

Again, based on what we’ve received it appears Ryans has CHOSEN Houston over Denver.  I get his ties to the City and organization, but it’s still a bad look for this franchise.

It seems Denver has made 2 attempts at Harbaugh and for whatever reason Harbaugh is CHOOSING to stay at Michigan.  Again, makes sense his alma mater and he’s had terrific success there.

Payton may have always been a long shot because of the compensation, but the leak of a potential issue with an owner is out there.  I know Payton refuted it, but in all honesty there’s know way of knowing who is being truthful.

Then Denver supposedly informing other candidates like Quinn and Evero they’re out of the running after the 2 coaches Denver seemed to be in on (Ryans/Harbaugh) have CHOSEN to coach for different teams.

What’s factual and what’s not can be debated, but the information we fans have certainly seems concerning.