Head coaching candidates thread

paul-mac

45 minutes ago, CDNBRONCOSFAN said:

Well Kellen Moore is now available for OC. I think he’s one of the better options now. 

Based upon what? The fact that he coaches for a team that’s on national TV every week and whose players and coaches are always overhyped? 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, germ-x said:

Who knows what is going on.  Klis reported that Denver is still focused on their candidates and they aren’t looking outside of them.  

Everyone is being kept totally in the dark. It’s one report from one person, a different report from another. Most of the reporters - the real journalists, not Albright, not Josina deep throat Anderson, not the talk radio shock jocks who have press passes - that we all rely upon are serious men and women doing their best. Leaving them in the dark or sending them deliberate misinformation is going to come back and bite you. 

This whole last month has just produced one piece of evidence after another that the Walmarts have no idea what they’re doing. The media can be an ally in many cases. You can’t just have them write puff pieces on your new Jumbotron and $400k grass, it’s a two-way street.

29 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

This whole last month has just produced one piece of evidence after another that the Walmarts have no idea what they’re doing. 

That's one explanation but I'm skeptical that that's the case. I think they know exactly what they're doing but damned if I can figure it out.

I think they already know who they want, they also have a plan B. Until they lock up one or the other they're keeping quiet. That's excellent policy in any business. 

12 hours ago, 1234567 said:

This is getting embarrassing at this point. Somehow the richest owners in the NFL have managed to completely whiff on all 3 big name candidates. And they’re getting ready to make it 0 for 4 when Ryans goes to Houston. I don’t know if it’s something our new owners are saying during the interview process that keeps scaring people away, or if Denver was so much of a dumpster fire this season that no one wants any part of it. But Barring some sort of surprise candidate we haven’t heard about yet, this team is looking screwed. 

They are rich because they are cheap…

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 1234567 said:

This is getting embarrassing at this point. Somehow the richest owners in the NFL have managed to completely whiff on all 3 big name candidates. And they’re getting ready to make it 0 for 4 when Ryans goes to Houston. I don’t know if it’s something our new owners are saying during the interview process that keeps scaring people away, or if Denver was so much of a dumpster fire this season that no one wants any part of it. But Barring some sort of surprise candidate we haven’t heard about yet, this team is looking screwed. 

I don't really think they've whiffed. Just they haven't got the right guy. Earlier on you posted how much Jerry did in such a short time and how it changed the total perception of this team. I think that's complicated the owners decision immensely.

Through 15 games we were an absolute dumpster fire on offense. I couldn't see any hope for our offense and just hoped they'd bring in an offensive minded coach and keep Evero around. After 17 games my interest and opinion changed drastically. 

You had a couple of really good, perceptive posts about this whole thing. Jerry  got amazing results without doing much. Biggest change IMO was getting Hackett out of the equation IE: Game planning, play calling, strategy. 

Now I'm curious how Outten and Kubiak could do without him for a season. I think they'd do really well. With Evero continuing his work on D,  Kubiak/Outten doing their thing and ST improvement we could be very good. I'd like to see that approach given a chance. 

The FO thought they'd be replacing Hackett,  a can't miss selection. Now they're replacing Jerry who gave us something to think about. A much more difficult task.   

Obviously I am not an insider, but my perception, just reading the tea leaves, is that this is what's happening:

• Harbaugh has always been the main choice, but either we're not offering him enough money or control for him to leave Michigan. He also doesn't have to leave Michigan, so it's on us to pony up or change structure. My sense is Penner went to Ann Arbor to see what he's really after and then will make the determination. It feels a bit like, "the door isn't closed, but you know where I stand."
  • Because of the above, I think we turned attention to DeMeco Ryans after Payton's demands or compensation was too much, and for a period of time it looked as if Ryans would be the guy until he did an about face and chose Houston, which it sounds like is the case.
  • I think the interest in Payton has been more media hype than substance. He can play the long game, and it seems he is. He'll end up in Dallas or maybe LA. However, if his demands change or the comp changes, he'd be someone we want to bring in.
  • Because of the above three things, I sense that's where the Broncos decided the pool of candidates they interviewed beyond these three guys are not the right candidates for the team and now here we are.

To be completely honest, I don't have an issue with taking time on the search and going back to the well if the right guy didn't interview. Don't hire someone just because they interviewed, and don't hire someone quickly just because. The only part of this that feels off to me is the comment from Klis and Renck about us not wanting to wait on someone like Gannon. Unless that's directly related to the ability to get a solid coaching staff around him, I don't think it much matters if we wait on a coordinator hire.

I am starting to think it's going to be Harbaugh though. I was convinced we were out on him, but Penner definitely wants him. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, AKRNA said:

That's one explanation but I'm skeptical that that's the case. I think they know exactly what they're doing but damned if I can figure it out.

I think they already know who they want, they also have a plan B. Until they lock up one or the other they're keeping quiet. That's excellent policy in any business. 

Bang on re the bold akrna!  There is a growing part of me that really believes someone has told them it's too bad you don't find yourself in this situation next year, maybe with the number one pick overall and then all your trouble would be behind you.  It's just been such a **** show.  Then I look at a post like broncos67 just above me and I can see that as well.  Still believe we should have signed Harbs when he was in Denver!!  Can't wait till this thread ends :)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Everyone is being kept totally in the dark. It’s one report from one person, a different report from another. Most of the reporters - the real journalists, not Albright, not Josina deep throat Anderson, not the talk radio shock jocks who have press passes - that we all rely upon are serious men and women doing their best. Leaving them in the dark or sending them deliberate misinformation is going to come back and bite you. 

This whole last month has just produced one piece of evidence after another that the Walmarts have no idea what they’re doing. The media can be an ally in many cases. You can’t just have them write puff pieces on your new Jumbotron and $400k grass, it’s a two-way street.

Really dude?

12 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Not only kept in the dark but the beat guys are being fed a different line (of BS) every few days. The reporting surrounding this search has become so polluted w/ ownership’s disorganized PR campaign. 

• Like 1