Head coaching candidates thread

paul-mac

Interesting here. They end up circling back to their original top choice. Regardless of who they hire - if it ends up someone other than Harbaugh, who was the top choice from the get-go, it’s a very bad look for the Walmarts. 

If they end up with Evero as HC, Outten as OC and Rossburg as STs, the spin job they’re going to have to put on to sell the hires to the casual fans with be fascinating to watch. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

It would be, at the very least, mildly embarrassing. But I’ll say this: as someone who has turned down a couple  of jobs that required moving to a different city because my wife just about flatly refuses to leave our hometown (which I also still love, btw)…wives count for a WHOLE lot. And if she’s got her heart set on Houston, there’s not a lot the Walmarts could do about it.

I get that.  Houston I think is a dream scenario for them.  The team that drafted Ryan, where he spent most of his playing career, and where his wife is from. 

In other professions I get it, but there’s only 32 of these jobs in the world and in most instances they have a high turnover rate.  If the Ryans’ really do have their choice of coming to Denver or Houston and they pick Houston because of reasons outside of football that would be absolute insanity to me.

There would have to be something on the football/football operations side, IMO.  Ryans’ coached against Wilson 2x a year while in SF, maybe he knows or thinks he’s done.  I know Sean Payton came out and said it was false, but maybe Ryans didn’t like something that came out of the interview process, an overbearing owner or something like that.  

I have no idea, but just how my mind works picking Houston simply because it’s home over a potentially better situation from a football standpoint in Denver would be nuts to me.  

2 hours ago, germ-x said:

I get that.  Houston I think is a dream scenario for them.  The team that drafted Ryan, where he spent most of his playing career, and where his wife is from. 

In other professions I get it, but there’s only 32 of these jobs in the world and in most instances they have a high turnover rate.  If the Ryans’ really do have their choice of coming to Denver or Houston and they pick Houston because of reasons outside of football that would be absolute insanity to me.

There would have to be something on the football/football operations side, IMO.  Ryans’ coached against Wilson 2x a year while in SF, maybe he knows or thinks he’s done.  I know Sean Payton came out and said it was false, but maybe Ryans didn’t like something that came out of the interview process, an overbearing owner or something like that.  

I have no idea, but just how my mind works picking Houston simply because it’s home over a potentially better situation from a football standpoint in Denver would be nuts to me.  

That's fair, but again, if they choose Houston for family and nostalgia purposes, I don't think you can say that its embarassing for the Broncos. We can offer money and a better defense. The Texans can offer things we simply can't, and family is #1 for a lot of people.

52 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

That's fair, but again, if they choose Houston for family and nostalgia purposes, I don't think you can say that its embarassing for the Broncos. We can offer money and a better defense. The Texans can offer things we simply can't, and family is #1 for a lot of people.

I guess my point is, the NFL isn’t a profession where that weighs heavily on decisions.  The average tenure of an NFL HC is 3.3 years.  Even if he’s successful there the likelihood of him sticking for a decade is slim.  It’s just the nature of the business, which makes the whole family is #1 thing for this situation unrealistic to me.  

If he were toward the end of his career it makes more sense, he’s 37 and probably ends up coaching for numerous other teams after his time in Houston.  So the whole moving to Houston and living happily ever after theme is pretty much impossible unless he gives up coaching.

Now I get there could be other things inside their family that may be at play and if it’s something for illness or depression or needing support.  I 100% get and understand that. 

But if it’s legitimately just like we love Houston.  It’s who drafted me, it’s where my wife’s family is from so we are coming home (which I don’t believe) that’s just an awful way of making a decision in the world of football coaching.  Now if he goes there he’s going to come out and say all of that, but I don’t believe for a second that it’s just that.  

2 hours ago, Scoundrel said:

If we hire David Shaw I’m going to need one of you to volunteer to take this Mod title from me. 3-9,3-9 and 4-8 in his last 3 seasons in COLLEGE. Get Condizilla Rice out of these meetings. Smh

Remember the Penners did their MBAs at Stanford, it’s not just Dr. Rice. 

I honestly wouldn’t hate Shaw as a the hire. I’d prefer Harbaugh or Ryans, Payton, Quinn, Evero and Shaw are in their next tier, a ways down, but as I’ve said I do see potential for Shaw as a CEO type with strong coordinators. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, germ-x said:

I guess my point is, the NFL isn’t a profession where that weighs heavily on decisions.  The average tenure of an NFL HC is 3.3 years.  Even if he’s successful there the likelihood of him sticking for a decade is slim.  It’s just the nature of the business, which makes the whole family is #1 thing for this situation unrealistic to me.  

If he were toward the end of his career it makes more sense, he’s 37 and probably ends up coaching for numerous other teams after his time in Houston.  So the whole moving to Houston and living happily ever after theme is pretty much impossible unless he gives up coaching.

Now I get there could be other things inside their family that may be at play and if it’s something for illness or depression or needing support.  I 100% get and understand that. 

But if it’s legitimately just like we love Houston.  It’s who drafted me, it’s where my wife’s family is from so we are coming home (which I don’t believe) that’s just an awful way of making a decision in the world of football coaching.  Now if he goes there he’s going to come out and say all of that, but I don’t believe for a second that it’s just that.  

Remember how much ego coaches have though. ‘Wherever I go, I’m gonna be Carroll/Belichick/Tomlin/Reid and get 10-15 years. Why wouldn’t I do that in Houston?’