Raiders to release QB Derek Carr (Page 73)

RaidersAreOne

On 2/16/2023 at 3:32 PM, NickButera said:

Love Hondo's articles as they always bring truth. We all knew this, but here's David saying it. Just makes think, no way Rodgers is coming here with a coach that won't let him have his freedom as a QB. 

"And we talk about this all the time: quarterback super power. And Derek's, his favorite quarterback for a long time -- I played against him and lost to him like nine times -- is Peyton Manning. He wants to get to the line, decipher what the defense is doing, get in an appropriate play. And that skill wasn't utilized in Las Vegas under Josh McDaniels. And that's fine, there's nothing wrong with that."

https://www.si.com/nfl/raiders/news/las-vegas-raiders-david-carr-derek-carr-nfl-network-peyton-manning

And before the refutes come in, anyone who's played football knows there's a difference between 1)here's your play, and here's your audibles for the position groups, one of these guys will be open on these options. Find him. And 2) here's our playbook, when you see something in the defense to take advantage of, change the play. If we're drafting a rookie, I'm glad Josh has this philosophy. If he wants a veteran, this isn't going to work.

Tom Brady didn't seem to have any issues with JMD, I think he'd be fine with Rodgers. 

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Tom Brady didn't seem to have any issues with JMD, I think he'd be fine with Rodgers. 

That's a bit different though.  Brady and JMD "grew up" together.  Josh didn't pop in to the Patriots after Brady had been there for 20 years.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, true2form said:

That's a bit different though.  Brady and JMD "grew up" together.  Josh didn't pop in to the Patriots after Brady had been there for 20 years.

JMD coexisted with the GOAT for years in New England and never had any issues in terms of pre play stuff or play calling. I'd imagine that he'd give Rodgers a lot more freedom and control over the offense than he gave to DC. 

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

JMD coexisted with the GOAT for years in New England and never had any issues in terms of pre play stuff or play calling. I'd imagine that he'd give Rodgers a lot more freedom and control over the offense than he gave to DC. 

I remember watching a show and they spoke about Brady coming to the line when ever a team was in zone coverage.  They said he always knew exactly where he was going to go before the ball was snapped.  How much was JMD preparing Brady and how much was just Brady being the GOAT?

1 minute ago, drfrey13 said:

I remember watching a show and they spoke about Brady coming to the line when ever a team was in zone coverage.  They said he always knew exactly where he was going to go before the ball was snapped.  How much was JMD preparing Brady and how much was just Brady being the GOAT?

Obviously Brady is the GOAT but I just doubt that JMD held him back or didn't give him the freedom to change plays, etc. 

Just now, NYRaider said:

Obviously Brady is the GOAT but I just doubt that JMD held him back or didn't give him the freedom to change plays, etc. 

I know he had the freedom to change plays.  A better question I guess would be why JMD gave him full control.  Did the offense change when JMD became the OC or did they both come up in the system?  Then you have to ask how quickly could Rodgers learn the system and would JMD allow the system to be changed.

Just now, drfrey13 said:

I know he had the freedom to change plays.  A better question I guess would be why JMD gave him full control.  Did the offense change when JMD became the OC or did they both come up in the system?  Then you have to ask how quickly could Rodgers learn the system and would JMD allow the system to be changed.

It seems like it was JMD's system based on the Patriots struggles last season. And JMD clearly gave him full control because he's the greatest player in NFL history, lol. 

I think Rodgers would be fine adjusting to the system, obviously things would have to be tweaked and JMD would have to change some things up as well. But that's what you do when you get one of the greatest players of all time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, agarcia34 said:

Changing plays comes from having trust in the QB. He didn’t trust Carr. He didn’t believe that he could make the plays. I don’t view that as an issue if Rodgers were to come here. 

Carr clearly struggled to grasp the system all season and people thought he should've had more control, crazy.

1 hour ago, Chali21 said:

Of course it did. Let’s see how well it goes in the season when he’s playing in NE or Buff in December. 

I hope he signs with the Jets.  Got into it with a couple fans from other teams and they believe Raiders fans are just blind.  I was just trying to tell them that he needed to go to a warm weather team with talent already in place.  They just kept bringing up how bad the defense was.  Somehow a good defense is going to allow Carr to play well in cold weather.  Maybe the offense overall could perform better because he could just hand the ball off and not throw it.