BDL Discussion Thread 2023

Jlash

Just now, Blue said:

now I kinda hope New England beats the Steelers in Pittsburgh next year and Gonzalez goes over Tomlin just to say "good to see you again"

When he picked the Colorado QB off twice last year and put the two up in his face I think that’s showing some competitive attitude… but I get that some coaches want that loud personality 

• Like 1

Yeah what a red flag 🚩 that a kid is loyal to his position coach who helped mold him/make him into a first round guy and probably sat in his house and recruited him and promised his parents he’d look out for him. 

The way some coaches and others want “piss and vinegar” from their guys (unless they’re a quarterback of course) is truly something.

”Not competitive enough” when he didn’t even move conferences is quite the take.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Yeah what a red flag 🚩 that a kid is loyal to his position coach who helped mold him/make him into a first round guy and probably sat in his house and recruited him and promised his parents he’d look out for him. 

The way some coaches and others want “piss and vinegar” from their guys (unless they’re a quarterback of course) is truly something.

”Not competitive enough” when he didn’t even move conferences is quite the take.

Adrian Klemm was Oregon’s oline coach last year and is now with New England. Even though opposite side of the ball if this kid had any issues I’m sure he would have made it known in that building.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

Adrian Klemm was Oregon’s oline coach last year and is now with New England. Even though opposite side of the ball if this kid had any issues I’m sure he would have made it known in that building.

Gonzo: I love my position coach. We spent 20-40 hours a week together. He helped recruit me. He was wanted by a Top 10 program in the nation. He helped mold me into the player and person I am today. I’m also not going to speak badly about my former school which was clearly an absolute disaster, because that’s unprofessional.

Tomlin: That kid isn’t competitive. Pass

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Zero issue with either transfer, but the selective logic from some of these coaches cracks me up.

I don’t have one either haha. Mekhi Blackmon was part of that corner room at Colorado and transferred also. That team was bad regardless the reason get me out of there as well when I have NFL talent. Both guys end up drafted in the first three rounds.

• Like 1

Firebird landing spot analysis 

Bryce Young- Panthers

This was the assumed landing spot for a while. They traded a ton to get him, have a really good defense and offensive line in addition to a very QB friendly coaching staff. They spent their resources giving him weapons: Chark, Thielen, Sanders, Hurst in FA and Mingo in the draft. If he is going to succeed the environment is built for it.

Jalen Carter- Eagles

After everything Carter has been through, I would have been really concerned if Carter was drafted to be the cornerstone to rebuild a bad defense. But going to Philly who was just in the Super Bowl, and a roster ready to win, and an established coaching staff, front office, roster and culture is the ideal environment to give him the opportunity to be the player he can be.

Quentin Johnston- Chargers

Being the #2 WR off the board and getting paired up with prime Justin Herbert is a great situation. He is buried a bit behind Keenan and Mike Williams but those guys aren’t exactly the pillar of health. The opportunity should be there to be productive with a great young QB.

Matthew Bergeron- Falcons

A but if a bummer as they announced him as a G and all indications are he’s expected to be the Falcons LG, but I desperately needed a RT. But great draft capital and is penciled into start already, give my team much needed depth and talent on the o line

Darius Rush- Colts

The drop to the 5th was a gut punch, I thought top 100 was his floor. But the Colts have nothing established at outside CB, so he is in position to get on the field and make an impact. 

Wanya Morris- Chiefs 

As soon as I saw his draft capital and landing spot he shot to the top of my PFA board. The only thing standing in his way of starting is Lucas Niang. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, SirA1 said:

Landing Spots and Starting Opportunities

Brian Branch - Detroit:  Listed behind Trace Walker (Achilles) and could be a CGJ replacement in 2024 but will likely need an injury to see serious playing time but should be in the rotation.

Sam LaPorta - Detroit: Instant Starter on one of the highest flying offenses in the league last year. Hunting for targets against the corpse of Marvin Jones.

Keeanu Benton - Pittsburgh: Good shot at at least being the starting NT over a JAG like Adams. Gets to learn from one of the best in Heyward on how to hone his craft.

Sydney Brown - Philadelphia: Should be in the mix to vi for some playing time in the Eagles secondary. The Safety room is a blank canvas with only UDFA Blankenship returning from last year.

Andrew Vorhees - Baltimore: Red Shirt first year to recover from injury before taking over at a spot inside on the OL. Zeitler is in the final year of his contract and is getting up there in years. Always a 2024 pick in my mind.

Olu Oluwatimi - Seattle: At least looking at a training camp battle with a Journeyman signed to a 1 year deal. I like his long term chances of bolstering the Hawks OL. 

18 hours ago, Blue said:

The Detroit offense didn't really get going until they phased the tight end out of the receiving rotation, but sure, maybe LaPorta gets involved in the passing game like Hockenson didn't. Agree that Branch is CGJ replacement next year, Kerby Joseph has clearly locked down a starting job across from him imo. Would not be surprised at all if Olu and Benton were starting Week 1.

Benton will definitely "start" over Montravius Adams but the Steelers run a lot of 2 man DL and he'll definitely be behind Heyward and Ogunjobi. He will get tons of looks though and will rotate in a ton I imagine. We've needed that tough NT guy to put in rotation for a while.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rackcs said:

Benton will definitely "start" over Montravius Adams but the Steelers run a lot of 2 man DL and he'll definitely be behind Heyward and Ogunjobi. He will get tons of looks though and will rotate in a ton I imagine. We've needed that tough NT guy to put in rotation for a while.

What about Leal?

13 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

What about Leal?

I honestly don't know what the plan is with him. He's a tweener and so far the Steelers have been intentionally vague about if they're going to use him at EDGE or on the DL. I think it's likely he's involved in the rotation at one of those positions but it's just very unclear what their plan is for him.