Justin Fields should become a gadget player ala Taysom Hill. CMM.

biggie.

There are some concerning things in his game, but I can't really make a definitive argument without seeing some sort of real offense around him. I don't think he needs much in the receiving game. Less than people think - adding Claypool with a full off season plus maybe adding a 2a type receivers is more than enough when you look across the league. He has a good run game if they bring back Monty with Herbert and Kmet isn't a disaster at TE (the position across the league is kind of sad).  So if they added someone like Jakobi this off season, that receiving game is fine and he should be able to make that work. 

I'd like to see them add an offensive lineman as well. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Let’s maybe give him either receivers or an offensive line first, let alone both…not even factoring in a modern scheme.

It’s hard to ask an OL to pass protect when your QB is always thinking run first or scrambling in the pocket right off the snap.

Edited by RUGmen
  • Like 2

I feel like the problem with the supporting cast argument here is that I don't have a lot of faith that the Bears are going to change that quick enough to make a significant enough difference, before his resume starts appearing unsavable. 

Not all players bust due to talent. But he does have to improve AND the Bears need to improve. I just don't have a ton of faith in all of that happening before people get impatient tbh.

1 hour ago, RUGmen said:

It’s hard to ask an OL to pass protect when your QB is always thinking run first or scrambling in the pocket right off the snap.

This is the first time I have ever seen anyone defend the Bears OL. It’s the worst I’ve seen in a long time.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

This is the first time I have ever seen anyone defend the Bears OL. It’s the worst I’ve seen in a long time.

Bears are second in pass block win rate (dated dec 27 so maybe not including last week) and Fields has one of longest Time to Throw in NFL.

I'm not trying to defend the Bears OL, because I know stats aren't everything, but certainly it's gotta be a combo at least, right? Maybe throw in WRs who can't get open to also exacerbate the problem?

2022 NFL pass-rushing, run-stopping, blocking leaderboard - Win rate rankings for top players, teams (espn.com)

Passing Stats | NFL Next Gen Stats

It's tough to judge who's most to blame, and our opinions don't mean crap right now. But I think so far Fields, based on what I've seen, is substandard as a passer at best. Time will tell if I'm right.

With his athleticism, you'd think there would be times where he uses it to extend plays and make accurate throws outside the pocket rather than running it and taking hits all the time. Maybe he can develop that, but I'll believe when I see it.

8 minutes ago, Soggust said:

Bears are second in pass block win rate (dated dec 27 so maybe not including last week) and Fields has one of longest Time to Throw in NFL.

I'm not trying to defend the Bears OL, because I know stats aren't everything, but certainly it's gotta be a combo at least, right? Maybe throw in WRs who can't get open to also exacerbate the problem?

2022 NFL pass-rushing, run-stopping, blocking leaderboard - Win rate rankings for top players, teams (espn.com)

Passing Stats | NFL Next Gen Stats

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2020/1/26/21082954/when-advanced-stats-don-t-pass-the-eye-test-the-curious-case-of-the

Worth a read on why the 2.5 second mark on PBWR is a bad bucket catch all factoring in “wins” for OL. Ironically it’s on the 2019 Bears.

• Like 3

Like I have said for years now, a lot goes into a quarterback success/failure. In the above, Trubisky still likely flops and busts, but is that softened if he gets Andy Reid, a year to sit behind Alex Smith, along with Tyreke and Kelce? Undoubtedly.

Meanwhile, give Mahomes Matt Nagy and the Bears offensive situation. Does he still pan out? Probably. Is he the same guy we see today? Absolutely not, he’s maybe even ruined. I’ve seen the Browns, Bears, Texans, Bengals,  and other teams all kill young promising quarterbacks with not addressing the offensive line and archaic offenses.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Never said the Bears OL was good. It is possible for a teams OL to be poor, but also have it not be entirely their fault.

Fans always just point 100% of the blame to a team’s OL. Fields sat in the pocket all day at OSU going through every read. One of the reasons I didn’t like him. You can’t take 3+ seconds in the NFL to pass the ball no matter how good your line is. Since he doesn’t have the time, he’s relying on his legs as a first option. 

Edited by RUGmen

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2020/1/26/21082954/when-advanced-stats-don-t-pass-the-eye-test-the-curious-case-of-the

Worth a read on why the 2.5 second mark on PBWR is a bad bucket catch all factoring in “wins” for OL. Ironically it’s on the 2019 Bears.

This is a great read, appreciate it.

Makes me curious about what % of the Bears passing plays went short, to see if his theory holds this year.

NFLsavant.com: Advanced NFL Statistics

^^ they have some good stats there where you can select "short left/short middle/short right", but I still think it's a bit disingenuous because short doesn't particularly equate to quick or a screen and the Bears also skew low almost across the board, presumably influenced by their high run %. 

Like everything, with a grain of salt. Usually when teams are competing for the #1 pick, there is blame to go around everywhere.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RUGmen said:

Never said the Bears OL was good. It is possible for a teams OL to be poor, but also have it not be entirely their fault.

Fans always just point 100% of the blame to a team’s OL. Fields sat in the pocket all day at OSU going through every read. One of the reasons I didn’t like him. You can’t take 3+ seconds in the NFL to pass the ball no matter how good your line is. Since he doesn’t have the time, he’s relying on his legs as a first option. 

Ironically, he had 2.78 seconds in 2020 compared to the 2.70 Joe Burrow had to go through progressions at LSU.