Justin Fields should become a gadget player ala Taysom Hill. CMM.

biggie.

On 1/2/2023 at 11:26 AM, biggie. said:

I don't think Fields will develop into a full-time QB BUUUUUUUUUT he can be absolutely lethal as a versatile Swiss army knife like Hill.

Exact, do mean exact things were said about Jalen Hurts.

Now whether Fields has a fraction of the same work ethic, desire and determination as Hurts to improve his craft will dictate his future. Getting legit playmakers, will help. Legit OC, will help. OL will help!

All of those thing NEED to occur though. As it does for most NFL QB. Most people forget even Josh Allen needed that. Trevor Lawrence,  Daniel Jones, Jalen Hurts, Tua, Dak, Kirk....... ect, ect.

Field is far from being the next Kordell Stewart.

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Soggust said:

This is a great read, appreciate it.

Makes me curious about what % of the Bears passing plays went short, to see if his theory holds this year.

NFLsavant.com: Advanced NFL Statistics

^^ they have some good stats there where you can select "short left/short middle/short right", but I still think it's a bit disingenuous because short doesn't particularly equate to quick or a screen and the Bears also skew low almost across the board, presumably influenced by their high run %. 

Like everything, with a grain of salt. Usually when teams are competing for the #1 pick, there is blame to go around everywhere.

He definitely needs to play better. The system needs to evolve, his receivers need improvement, and you could justify 4 new starters on the offensive line.

Their win rate percentage is also a bit of an outlier because of how much they run the ball. A 69% win rate when you run as much as they do isn’t necessarily great do to those sacks likely being off of play action.

Throw in that not all losses are created equal either. What % of those losses were unimpeded rushers or close to it? Which ones were total protection breakdowns? Which ones did the quarterback not account for presnap?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Exact, do mean exact things were said about Jalen Hurts.

I was coming here to say the same thing. Jalen Hurts went from potential seat warmer for another QB to MVP candidate with the addition of tangible weapons.

Darnell Mooney is WR1 and Cole Kmet is his best pass catcher. Nobody can compete with a group like this. Bears doubling up at WR this year would go a long way. Jakobi Meyers as a FA and trading down to select Quentin Johnston would be a start.

• Like 2

Very premature to have this conversation already. I wasn’t as high on most on Fields coming out of the draft, but I must admit he’s been a lot more dangerous running the ball than I would have ever envisioned with how seldom he made big plays with his legs in college considering how athletic he is.

Not sure what to make of him as a passer yet. Coming out I thought he benefited a ton from throwing to guys like Olave and Wilson (and even Jameson Williams). I was skeptical of him quickly getting through his reads and am still not sure how well he is processing the field in his 2nd year in the NFL.

I think next year is going to be a huge season for him. I’d have to think the Bears will try to beef up the OL and add another quality pass catching threat. If he doesn’t take some big steps forward next season as a passer it may be time to question him a bit as a viable franchise QB.

43 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I was coming here to say the same thing. Jalen Hurts went from potential seat warmer for another QB to MVP candidate with the addition of tangible weapons.

I'd have to say there's a lot more to it than that. Sure adding AJ Brown is hugely helpful, but Jalen's been more confident with his passes, his reads, and is just all around processing the field multiple levels higher than he was last year. I forget who he worked with in the offseason on these things, but it was someone with a high pedigree and it did wonders for him.

Well its tough because they have a high draft pick where they could land a better QB prospect. Most of the time, you can evaluate a player by the end of year two. And right now, Justin simply isn't performing at a high level. Only two games over 200 yards passing all year? Drafting a QB and trading Justin Fields away while he has value is probably the right move but CHI town seems to be in denial and is in love with the guy. Fantasy Football ain't real football

47 minutes ago, Danger said:

I'd have to say there's a lot more to it than that. Sure adding AJ Brown is hugely helpful, but Jalen's been more confident with his passes, his reads, and is just all around processing the field multiple levels higher than he was last year. I forget who he worked with in the offseason on these things, but it was someone with a high pedigree and it did wonders for him.

I understand it’s more nuanced than “here’s a WR” as well. I know Fields has worked with Quincy Avery in the past (the private QB coach for a few NFL guys) and now might be the time to ramp up those efforts.

The resources are there for a similar jump, Fields needs to make good on them. 

IMO you have to at least spend this offseason investing in him first. And I think it's easy to point to the WRs or OL, but it goes well beyond that, IMO. That defense is absolutely terrible. This isn't even the Trubisky Bears anymore. Hicks is gone, Quinn is gone, Smith is gone, Trevathan is gone, Fuller is gone, Mack is gone. So on top of the lack of talent around him on offense, you're basically asking him to play from behind almost all year, and he's playing the role of a carry QB when he's clearly not ready for that. Obviously Fields has a long way to go if he's going to develop properly as a QB, but he has shown enough, especially with just his sheer talent, to deserve more time and help. And this isn't like a Zach WIlson situation, where he's clearly and blatantly just atrocious. Even with all his issues and completely not counting his rushing stats, he's still at an 85 passer rating. You can work with that. Especially when you throw the rushing on top of it. You just need a remotely competent defense and someone else for him to throw to.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Soggust said:

Bears are second in pass block win rate (dated dec 27 so maybe not including last week) and Fields has one of longest Time to Throw in NFL.

Fields also has the 3rd highest pressure percentage. A lot of the guys who get it out sooner have a much lower pressure percentage so odds are they are throwing a lot of passes near the LOS. Fields air yards per attempt are top 4 so he obviously isn't throwing many balls around the LOS. He is tied with Josh Allen in air yards per attempt, Allen holds onto the ball longer and has a much lower pressure rate so while they are currently in different hemispheres as passers Allen has it a lot easier and it could be a sign of what Fields could do with better protection. Or, Fields could just end up waiting for receivers to be "college open" but we don't know which way it will play out yet because he isn't in a position to be comfortable in the pocket yet.

• Like 2