2023 Free Agency

Dessie

4 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

5th round picks and beyond are essentially useless if you're talking about moving up in the 1st or 2nd round.  The odds of any player drafted 5th and beyond still being in the NFL after year three is less than 10 percent.  

Might as well just pack it in, we have no hope. 

1 hour ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

of those 12 picks 8 of them are 4th round and beyond.  If we can land one quality starter out of those 8 picks that is a win.  Expecting anything more is foolish and expecting anything more than one of them making an impact year one is unrealistic. 

Hence why I said some starters some depth.. so you’re saying we couldn’t get more potential Maxx Crosby’s, Hunter Renfrow’s, Nate Hobbs’ in the 4th-5th round and beyond basically?? We have 7 picks thru Round 5.. All could be potential starters or significant rotational players in year 1.. We could likely get starters at CB, LB, DT, TE and OG with 5 picks in the first 109 overall, in no particular order.. The other 7 picks is basic roster building, adding depth/developmental players, etc.. 

2 minutes ago, JarrodR86 said:

Hence why I said some starters some depth.. so you’re saying we couldn’t get more potential Maxx Crosby’s, Hunter Renfrow’s, Nate Hobbs’ in the 4th-5th round and beyond basically?? We have 7 picks thru Round 5.. All could be potential starters or significant rotational players in year 1.. We could likely get starters at CB, LB, DT, TE and OG with 5 picks in the first 109 overall, in no particular order.. The other 7 picks is basic roster building, adding depth/developmental players, etc.. 

The odds of landing a Maxx type player in the 5th-7th is 1 percent.  Look back on drafts since 2010 and tell me how many Maxx Crosby type studs were there in the 5th and beyond in comparison to how many players were drafted.  

I expect starters to come out of rounds 1 and 2 with the 1st round pick being an elite stud.  3rd rounders are position dependent on if they can start or be a situational role player.  If the 3rd rounder is an interior Oline I would expect to play a significant role but beyond the 4th round if we have two players on the roster in three years that would be a win.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

The odds of landing a Maxx type player in the 5th-7th is 1 percent.  Look back on drafts since 2010 and tell me how many Maxx Crosby type studs were there in the 5th and beyond in comparison to how many players were drafted.  

I expect starters to come out of rounds 1 and 2 with the 1st round pick being an elite stud.  3rd rounders are position dependent on if they can start or be a situational role player.  If the 3rd rounder is an interior Oline I would expect to play a significant role but beyond the 4th round if we have two players on the roster in three years that would be a win.

I’m not saying tons of players come in to the league as 5th round picks and beyond and become studs, but I’m sure if we looked back on the last 10-15 years, there’s probably plenty of players who carved out nice careers as starters while many 1st-4th rounders flame out and never get a 2nd contract.. I wouldn’t expect 5th-7th rounders to come in and be starters.. But what I did say is essentially I’d expect us to come out of the draft with probably 4-5 starters and a fair amount of depth which very important as well.. I don’t agree with the logic that you can’t find an interior lineman past round 3 that can’t start Day 1.. is he gonna be an all pro, likely not.. but there’s been plenty of round 1-3 OG busts or subpar careers as well..

16 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

We should hit on the first two rounds every year. Good teams draft well in the mid rounds. Day3/ late are just all dart throws / developmental depth. 

Edited by Humble_Beast

Free Agent Targets

TE- Mike Gesicki , Irv Smith, Foster Moreau

I really want Gesicki or Irv. After down years, I think either can blow up on a new team. Could even bring back Moreau who's been stuck behind Waller. I feel like he could be a solid all around starting TE. 

G- Elu, Isaiah Wynn, Dalton Risner, Isaac Seumalo, Evan Brown, Roger Saffold, Gabe Jackson

RG is a glaring need. 

DE/ Edge- Leonard Floyd, Jadeveon Clowney, Melvin Ingram, Trey Flowers, Clelin Ferrell, Shaq Lawson, Carlos Dunlap, Dante Fowler , Mario Edwards, Justin Houston, Jordan Jenkins , Rasheem Green, Frank Clark

I think CHandler Jones is situational player at this point. Never stop adding talent on the trenches

DT- Matt Ioannidis, Sheldon Rankins, Shelby Harris, Quinton Jefferson, Solomon Thomas

I think we need an impact interior pass rusher in a bad way. 

LB- Anthony Walker, Drue Tranquill, Jayon Brown Devin Bush, Cole Holcomb, Anthony Barr, Nicholas Morrow

LB unit lacks talent, could use another all around starter Backer. 

CB- Rock, Marcus Peters, Shaq Griffin, Isiah Oliver, Duke Shelley, Greedy Williams, Artie Burns, Eli Apple

Hoping for Rock, but other starting options.. 

There's still talent out there.

Edited by Humble_Beast
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

Free Agent Targets

I think Gesicki (only 27 and ran a 4.54) or Moreau would be must.. I’d prefer Gesicki due to speed and pass catching ability, Foster seems to have quite a few mental lapses/concentration drops in crucial situations so he’s not a must keep in my eyes but wouldn’t hate a re-sign.. can’t go into the season with Jesper and a rookie.. I’d also add a mid rd pick to this position, whether it be a pass catching threat or in-line blocker depending on the type of vet we sign. 

one vet OG or OT (keep saying Elu due to versatility and scheme familiarity) which could allow us to do a lot at #7 (Skorowski/Paris for long term bookend RT) and Elu to RG or Elu to RT and draft a OG in the middle rounds if we wanted to go D @ #7.. 

Rankins or Billings would be a reasonable signing for DT, hopefully Nichols can improve on last season and/or Butler/Farrell Jr make a 2nd year leap.. But either way one vet FA + one talented 2nd/3rd rd draftee is a must unless Jalen Carter happened to be there at 7.. 

If we can snag a Justin Houston, Melvin Ingram, Floyd or Fowler as a rotational pass rusher to help keep Jones and Crosby fresh, that would be ideal, plus a draft pick to compete with Koonce as the 4th guy in the rotation. Whether that draft pick is 1st round or 4th round, we need more talent and a potential takeover in store for Jones in 2024.. 

Pretty much as with all these positions, signing another proven vet would be a plus whether that’s a Wagner, Perryman, Tranquil, Walker or Morrow.. One of them, a draft pick in the 2nd/3rd round, Spillane, Diablo and Masterson/Butler would look much better as a whole. 

Lastly, at CB I think we need to re-sign Rock or sign Peters, Griffin or Oliver and also add a rookie that can start from Day 1.. As free agency has played out “so far”, I’m more so leaning to CB at 7 with Gonzalez, Witherspoon or Porter Jr, the latter 2 in the 10-12 range if we were able to trade back. Getting a potential shutdown CB on a rookie contract would be huge, and signing one of these guys as a CB2 with Hobbs covering the slot would be ideal. Facyson, Amik and Hall as reserves would be good depth. 

Edited by JarrodR86
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Free Agent Targets

TE- Mike Gesicki , Irv Smith, Foster Moreau

I really want Gesicki or Irv. After down years, I think either can blow up on a new team. Could even bring back Moreau who's been stuck behind Waller. I feel like he could be a solid all around starting TE. 

G- Elu, Isaiah Wynn, Dalton Risner, Isaac Seumalo, Evan Brown, Roger Saffold, Gabe Jackson

RG is a glaring need. 

DE/ Edge- Leonard Floyd, Jadeveon Clowney, Melvin Ingram, Trey Flowers, Clelin Ferrell, Shaq Lawson, Carlos Dunlap, Dante Fowler , Mario Edwards, Justin Houston, Jordan Jenkins , Rasheem Green, Frank Clark

I think CHandler Jones is situational player at this point. Never stop adding talent on the trenches

DT- Matt Ioannidis, Sheldon Rankins, Shelby Harris, Quinton Jefferson, Solomon Thomas

I think we need an impact interior pass rusher in a bad way. 

LB- Anthony Walker, Drue Tranquill, Jayon Brown Devin Bush, Cole Holcomb, Anthony Barr, Nicholas Morrow

LB unit lacks talent, could use another all around starter Backer. 

CB- Rock, Marcus Peters, Shaq Griffin, Isiah Oliver, Duke Shelley, Greedy Williams, Artie Burns, Eli Apple

Hoping for Rock, but other starting options.. 

There's still talent out there.

DE needs to be targeted in the draft we need a long term replacement for Jones. We need a Vet TE (and draft). Arnold is a cheap vet that can be added to the list. 

None of those DTs are NT.Billings looks like a must resign. 

At this point it’s questionable whether any of those DTs named are better than Nichols. 

CB is a huge hole. Hobbs seems have 1 spot locked and we have some depth with Hall, Robertson, Webb and Hall. Think we need a vet to the group though. William Jackson III could be added to the list, should come cheap as he’s coming off an injury. 

G/T are huge holes. At this point I expect us just to bring back Bars ! Lot depends on what we do with Parham but 2 new guards and a RT looks essential at this point. 

I think Muti will surprise some people if they haven't seen him play. I think he could win a starting guard job. Raiders hopefully bring back Eluemunor for RT so he can start with Parker at backup RT. Maybe draft another OG and the Oline could be set. Other than that I think TE in round 2 or 3  is likely. Class is loaded but most will go in the first two rounds. 

Defense is a problem. Still a lot of issues and what's scary is Raiders could realistically draft more offense. They could easily take a QB at 7 if someone is available they like and TE in round two. 

• Like 1