2023 Week #18 GDT 8-8 Steelers vs. 7-9 Browns

Steeler Hitman

4 hours ago, August4th said:

starting to think Canada is staying

this will be a major fail. They better fire him and get a legit OC asap before they are singed elsewhere.  As much as the team turned it around,  we can't give canada the credit, that belongs to the players.

FIRE CANADA  😇

I dont think Canada is staying.    We got rid of Todd Haley for less.    This offense has shown minimal progression under Canada.   All progress we have see is largely the result of players improving.    Playcalling is still weak.   Play designs still terrible.   I dont deny that Canada hasn't had great pieces to work with, but I have also seen nothing that tells me he is, or has ever been, a good offensive coordinator.    

Being objective and level headed as possible, I dont even dislike the guy and wish him the best in future endeavors, but at the end of the day, I thought he was a horrible hire from the get go, and he has shown nothing to change my mind.    

I agree with Najee and others that players mean more to success than coaches, but Ive seen the difference between good coaches and bad coaches....and nothing Ive seen from Canada (from my limited fan perspective, at least), tells me he is anything except a very mediocre offensive coordinator, at best.

We have a young, growing QB and offense in general.    Can anyone honestly say that they would be encouraged about Matt Canada running it going forward?    I dont necessarily have the perfect replacement in mind unless Sean Peyton was willing to come be OC.....but Id rather see this change happen sooner rather than wait and see if Canada's offense keeps getting better.    I dont see him as a coach that can take this offsense to another level.

A change needs to happen.    He is part of the failed Fitchner experiment and we need to completely dump that and start fresh.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, 43M said:

I dont think Canada is staying.    We got rid of Todd Haley for less.    This offense has shown minimal progression under Canada.   All progress we have see is largely the result of players improving.    Playcalling is still weak.   Play designs still terrible.   I dont deny that Canada hasn't had great pieces to work with, but I have also seen nothing that tells me he is, or has ever been, a good offensive coordinator.    

Being objective and level headed as possible, I dont even dislike the guy and wish him the best in future endeavors, but at the end of the day, I thought he was a horrible hire from the get go, and he has shown nothing to change my mind.    

I agree with Najee and others that players mean more to success than coaches, but Ive seen the difference between good coaches and bad coaches....and nothing Ive seen from Canada (from my limited fan perspective, at least), tells me he is anything except a very mediocre offensive coordinator, at best.

We have a young, growing QB and offense in general.    Can anyone honestly say that they would be encouraged about Matt Canada running it going forward?    I dont necessarily have the perfect replacement in mind unless Sean Peyton was willing to come be OC.....but Id rather see this change happen sooner rather than wait and see if Canada's offense keeps getting better.    I dont see him as a coach that can take this offsense to another level.

A change needs to happen.    He is part of the failed Fitchner experiment and we need to completely dump that and start fresh.

It won't happen, but I would love it if Tomlin fired almost all offensive coaches tomorrow. I cannot claim any inside knowledge about who was good (TEs maybe?) and who wasn't (passing game design), but this O overall was not good. Clearly not good. Maybe it is all OC, but I tend to think there is just not enough innovative thinkers at various positions. 

35 minutes ago, cjfollett said:

It won't happen, but I would love it if Tomlin fired almost all offensive coaches tomorrow. I cannot claim any inside knowledge about who was good (TEs maybe?) and who wasn't (passing game design), but this O overall was not good. Clearly not good. Maybe it is all OC, but I tend to think there is just not enough innovative thinkers at various positions. 

I would definitely keep Pat Meyer.   He did a fantastic job developing our OL this year.

RB coach seems fine.

Beyond that, I wouldnt care as long as Canada is part of the purge.

Edited by 43M
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, bigben07MVP said:

What about Todd Monken for OC?

No thanks.    He doesn't have an extremely impressive track record, and he wont have a steady flow of elite SEC talent like he does in Georgia.

I either want a proven quality NFL OC or an up and comer with potential.

22 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Heres then two names for you:

Bobby Slowik - 49ers passing game coordinator. 

Joe Brady - Bills QB coach

Heard Slovik's name passed around alot.   Certainly wouldn't complain.

Brady Im not against either.

I think a guy like Frank Reich is possible given certain connections.

Just go outside the organization and dont bring in any prior failed coordinators.   

4 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I think Whipple will get an interview ( if Canada is gone)  He was the Steelers QB coach and is OC for Pitt.

team america vomit GIF

He is 65 and has never done anything that impressive.    Ben made much bigger strides as a passer after he left and his offenses at Pitt weren't that good outside of 2021.

Tomlin dumped him before he came on board in 2007.    Pretty sure he was a Whiz or Russ Grimm guy.    Might be some bad blood there.

Hard pass, either way.

7 minutes ago, 43M said:

team america vomit GIF

He is 65 and has never done anything that impressive.    Ben made much bigger strides as a passer after he left and his offenses at Pitt weren't that good outside of 2021.

Tomlin dumped him before he came on board in 2007.    Pretty sure he was a Whiz or Russ Grimm guy.    Might be some bad blood there.

Hard pass, either way.

Just saying, he is a person with a connection to the Steelers and Pickett.  He is EXACTLY the kind of person they will interview.  I would rather go with the guy from SF or look at Ohio State's OC but...