2023 Draft Prospects (Google Sheets) - New 2024 QB Worksheet

Karnage84

Whats the deal with Kaevon Merriweather, Kam Pedescleaux, and Gervarrius Owens?  The stand out on the PFF sheet with 2nd, 1st, and 4th best grades for S's (Branch is a CB in your sheet but the first two still grade higher than Branch), yet they are way down in everyone's rankings, even PFFs. 

Pedescleaux is only 5'9" and 185 so I get that, but he isnt even on PFFs rankings and seems like he should be since he had some draft buzz to start the year. 

Merriweather and Owens are both 6' 200-210 so they have the size.  Merriweather was a first team All-American and seems pretty athletic so why not the love for him by scouts/rankings.  He could be that late bloomer impact S like Kerby was last year. 

Owens may be a CB more than a S but he has had some great production even if it fell off a little this year.  He had a QB rating allowed of 27 in 2021 but that shot up to 100 this year, but somehow still had a top 5 PFF ranking.  

Overall just wondering why there isnt more mid-late round hype for these guys. 

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Whats the deal with Kaevon Merriweather, Kam Pedescleaux, and Gervarrius Owens?  The stand out on the PFF sheet with 2nd, 1st, and 4th best grades for S's (Branch is a CB in your sheet but the first two still grade higher than Branch), yet they are way down in everyone's rankings, even PFFs. 

Pedescleaux is only 5'9" and 185 so I get that, but he isnt even on PFFs rankings and seems like he should be since he had some draft buzz to start the year. 

Merriweather and Owens are both 6' 200-210 so they have the size.  Merriweather was a first team All-American and seems pretty athletic so why not the love for him by scouts/rankings.  He could be that late bloomer impact S like Kerby was last year. 

Owens may be a CB more than a S but he has had some great production even if it fell off a little this year.  He had a QB rating allowed of 27 in 2021 but that shot up to 100 this year, but somehow still had a top 5 PFF ranking.  

Overall just wondering why there isnt more mid-late round hype for these guys. 

I should probably have Branch in both categories. 

I honestly have no idea. I haven't watched much film but there's nothing not to like from what I have seen.

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Kaevon-Merriweather-DB-Iowa

MERRIWEATHER

SCOUTING REPORT: STRENGTHS

• Fluid mover with decent speed and his length allows him to cover effectively downfield
  • His length and leaping ability allow him to high-point the ball and make plays. Merriweather would have had bigger interception numbers in college had opposing quarterbacks not gone out of their way to avoid him.
  • Has an NFL frame with strong hands, the ability to close quickly on underneath routes and the size to tackle with a thump.
  • Good instincts and anticipation reads and reacts with discipline. Dangerous with the ball in his hands.
  • Closes to the ball quite well and possesses the hands to ****** throws away from his frame.
  • Has good body control and balance to redirect and break down in the open field.

SCOUTING REPORT: WEAKNESSES

• Opens his hips too early and allows himself to get turned around in coverage.
  • Has only average long speed and body flexibility.
  • Has poor recognition skills when facing the action in zone coverage.

MAN

1/2 (50%) for 8 yards (8.0 ypc)

• FI - 1
  • PBU - 1
  • INT - 1
  • DRI - 1
  • TD - 0
  • NFL - 20.8

ZONE

10/20 (50%) for 79 yards (7.9 ypc)

• FI - 2
  • PBU - 2
  • INT - 2
  • DRI - 0
  • TD - 0
  • NFL - 20.6

FI = Forced Incompletions

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

Can we do RBs next? I'm interested in the day two guys. 

I've added the basic set for RB's. This one is going to be a bit of a bigger project - rushing, receiving and pass blocking stats. There's probably another 20+ guys that we can add. 

• Like 1

PASS BLOCKING     RECEIVING  
1 Camerun Peoples 80.6   Kenny McIntosh 86.8
2 Travis Dye 68.4   Eric Gray 83.2
3 Roschon Johnson 67.4   Jahmyr Gibbs 82.4
4 Chase Brown 65.1   Zach Charbonnet 77.1
5 Dewayne McBride 64.2   Evan Hull 74.9
6 Sean Tucker 64.2   Bijan Robinson 73.9

RUSHING        
1 Bijan Robinson 96.1      
2 Keaton Mitchell 93.9      
3 Zach Charbonnet 93.6      
4 Dewayne McBride 93.5      
5 Eric Gray 92.4      
6 Chris Rodriguez 90.7      

1 hour ago, Louis Friend said:

Zach Charbonnet is someone I've wanted to see indepth stats on. Thanks man. 

What we have to see/determine is how we want to see our RB's do in some areas vs others. Charbonnet is a quality rusher and receiver but graded out poorly in pass blocking. There's also a few guys that have like 8 targets for under 50 yards as a receiver. That guy either has to be a monster rusher and good in pass protection, otherwise we can do better elsewhere. 

The person we bring in has to be capable of eventually being RB1 or at minimum RB2 even if we bring back Jamaal. Someone who bridges JW and Swift in terms of capabilities is ideal. 

6 hours ago, BigC421/ said:

https://twitter.com/NoFlagsFilm/status/1618999948728754176/photo/1

They call me the new stat guy

edit- ffs can’t get the image to post.  I’ll step back now

Wouldn't a better metric be CTT/TGT? That'd be a better indicator of how many catches this player is making as a Contested Catch vs how many times they're targeted by the QB. I have zero issues if a guy is catching 72% of his contested catches. If he's in Contested Catches 72% of the time he's targeted, then he's probably not getting separation.