2023 Draft Prospects (Google Sheets) - New 2024 QB Worksheet

Karnage84

39 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I just realized Karl Brooks is from my hometown and went to my rival High School.  Saw he was recruited to Bowling Green as a 6'4" 220 pound LB and filled out to be a 6'4" 300 pound DT.  Makes sense on why he seems to be agile and have more pass rush moves than a lot do DTs.  

Which is even more odd on why he wasn't invited to the combine...

21 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

If he has a Travon Walker type of workout, he's not going to be there on Day 2. 

Why do you have him rated that low?

He doesn't have the production to be ranked that high and also has some limitations being so raw.  He definitely has potential but I am always leery of picking on that alone.  He would need a major showing to jump into the top 10 IMO.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

If he has a Travon Walker type of workout, he's not going to be there on Day 2. 

Why do you have him rated that low?

A few things really. 

3-star going into college. Redshirted freshman season. Played inside first season, moved outside second season. He never started in college. He shows good burst and raw power (which he won't survive on at the next level), but he lacks refined skill, angle/block awareness or elite instincts. He reminds me of Ziggy Ansah when I watch college tape of them both. Raw with power and burst and everyone expects them to break out at the next level. I just don't want to be the team that spends a top ten pick hoping a guy becomes alot better than what he is. IMO, If you took Iowa off his jersey, He'd be a borderline day 3 pick. And I think he'll be a useful player, but he's not a star. Not right now. 

1 minute ago, Sllim Pickens said:

He doesn't have the production to be ranked that high and also has some limitations being so raw.  He definitely has potential but I am always leery of picking on that alone.  He would need a major showing to jump into the top 10 IMO.  

Iowa plays their seniors - it wasn't about him not being good enough (this is according to Daniel Jeremiah who did reach out to get a better understanding of that). Travon Walker had limited production but absolute freaky athleticism. We've seen guys like this go higher than maybe we'd expect. Walker is absolutely a perfect example as is Ezekiel Ansah. 

1 minute ago, Louis Friend said:

A few things really. 

3-star going into college. Redshirted freshman season. Played inside first season, moved outside second season. He never started in college. He shows good burst and raw power (which he won't survive on at the next level), but he lacks refined skill, angle/block awareness or elite instincts. He reminds me of Ziggy Ansah when I watch college tape of them both. Raw with power and burst and everyone expects them to break out at the next level. I just don't want to be the team that spends a top ten pick hoping a guy becomes alot better than what he is. IMO, If you took Iowa off his jersey, He'd be a borderline day 3 pick. And I think he'll be a useful player, but he's not a star. Not right now. 

I didn't say that we were going to pick him. I'm saying he's going to be a top 10 pick. Ansah went at #5 overall. 

Starts: That is apparently not how Iowa does it - they play their older guys as starters. I'm going to have to throw him back into my worksheet as I took him out since he apparently indicated he was going back to school (and then must have gotten great feedback to determine he'd declare). 

Just now, Karnage84 said:

I didn't say that we were going to pick him. I'm saying he's going to be a top 10 pick. Ansah went at #5 overall. 

Starts: That is apparently not how Iowa does it - they play their older guys as starters. I'm going to have to throw him back into my worksheet as I took him out since he apparently indicated he was going back to school (and then must have gotten great feedback to determine he'd declare). 

I wasn't just talking about the Lions, my bad. IMO, it's the same thing Jacksonville did with Travon last season. Just wasting picks praying you hit the jackpot. This is why good teams sit back in the draft and let guys fall to them. Because bad teams reach for "potential" hoping to strike it rich.

And please don't think I hate Van Ness. I think he's a fine prospect, on day two, but he's no where near a top ten player in this draft. 

9 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

I wasn't just talking about the Lions, my bad. IMO, it's the same thing Jacksonville did with Travon last season. Just wasting picks praying you hit the jackpot. This is why good teams sit back in the draft and let guys fall to them. Because bad teams reach for "potential" hoping to strike it rich.

And please don't think I hate Van Ness. I think he's a fine prospect, on day two, but he's no where near a top ten player in this draft. 

It's hard to say really. I am more of a "production" guy but traits can definitely factor into how good a player COULD be (vs what they are). It'd be super easy to just say "any player that hasn't produced x at their position is going to be bad" but there's a lot of situational stuff you have to factor in. How good was the coaching? What were they being asked to do within the scheme? How do they determine playing time (such as Iowa leaning into older players first even if younger player is much better)? 

Now that we'll have a new DL coach, I'm not sure if he'd make sense for us since I don't know how well our DL coach can develop players with limited experience. If Van Ness was an OL, I'd be much more comfortable putting him with Hank and letting those physical tools turn into elite level skills. 

18 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Iowa plays their seniors - it wasn't about him not being good enough (this is according to Daniel Jeremiah who did reach out to get a better understanding of that). Travon Walker had limited production but absolute freaky athleticism. We've seen guys like this go higher than maybe we'd expect. Walker is absolutely a perfect example as is Ezekiel Ansah. 

Walker was not one of the best 5 D lineman rookies last year.  Ziggy never developed.  Those are great examples on why I don't want to draft just off athleticism. 

As for Van Ness, Iowa plays their best players.  He was on the field a lot and had some production but also is so raw that he was neutralized relatively easy.  I would gladly take a chance in the second.  Maybe even at 18 but not chance I would take a combine riser in the top 10.  Production wise and tape he is a second rounder. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Walker was not one of the best 5 D lineman rookies last year.  Ziggy never developed.  Those are great examples on why I don't want to draft just off athleticism. 

As for Van Ness, Iowa plays their best players.  He was on the field a lot and had some production but also is so raw that he was neutralized relatively easy.  I would gladly take a chance in the second.  Maybe even at 18 but not chance I would take a combine riser in the top 10.  Production wise and tape he is a second rounder. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/falcons/news/atlanta-falcons-mock-draft-lukas-van-ness-daniel-jeremiah-fit-target-combine

Jeremiah continually called Van Ness "explosive" and has no concerns regarding him not starting at Iowa; that was largely a case of the way the Hawkeyes run their program, offering starting preference to veterans while the third-year sophomore Van Ness caught the short end of the stick.

He has some real power, he has some real twitch, and he is just figuring out what he is doing," Jeremiah said. "I think you can -- you have a good player right now, and you can chase some of the upside with him as well."

DJ has Van Ness going to the Falcons at #8 in his mock. 

Maybe it's a mistake. Maybe he's what you guys are saying he is.... but I think he's going top 12 at a minimum. 

Walker: He was a raw prospect and it's only been one year. We can properly evaluate that decision after another 2 seasons. 

Ansah: He was constantly injured. He showed flashes at times of what he could have been but definitely inconsistent.