2023 Off-season Talk

Bobby816

My real take on QBs is if you can get Rodgers for a similar package we got Farve for but if it’s some crazy multi 1st round pick deal I’d pass and go for Jimmy or Tannehill(not against Carr just prefer these guys a bit more). We aren’t a QB away from being a contender but we are close to it, Fix the OL and S spot and maybe find some clarity on the WR2 situation and then we’re turkey a QB away. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

They’re all 1st rounder and most all drafted in the top 10?

If it was as simple as you say we wouldn’t be here. Darnold and Wilson we drafted top 3 and that didn’t work for us.

All by the team that drafted them. And there are plenty examples of QBs drafted late in the first and beyond.

I wont even entertain the logic we shouldn’t draft QBs because we missed in the past, especially past GMs.

2 hours ago, GangGreen420 said:

All by the team that drafted them. And there are plenty examples of QBs drafted late in the first and beyond.

I wont even entertain the logic we shouldn’t draft QBs because we missed in the past, especially past GMs.

I guess my point is the difference between trading a 1st and 2nd for Rodgers for 2 years and drafting let’s say Hooker (an unknown how good he’d be) in Round 2 this draft and developing him for 2 years learning from One of the best to ever play QB to that of let’s say signing Tannehill and drafting at let’s say 21 next year and trading a futures 1st and 2nd to move up in the draft a draft a QB that’s an unknown. We lost in essence the same draft capital. But one way we had 2 seasons to go after a SB all while developing an unknown guy learning from an elite QB. The other we were barely a playoff team and have an unknown guy that we drafted that we then have some pressure to play bc he was drafted in the top of the 1st and the capital given up for him with an average QB he’s learning behind.

5 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

To get a QB via draft we likely have to be ok taking a guy not at the top of the draft, trading a ton of draft picks to move up or develop mid round guys. Tannehill comes here and we’re likely drafting late teens early 20s.

10 of the starting QB’s were drafted top 15.  Getting a good QB does not mean having to draft top 10. I would like to see what JD can do without the pressure of needing to waste another FRP (or early FRP) on a QB. Not sure we have ever tried that. Have a decent vet for a few years while grooming his replacement.

As for this years QB’s, I am glad we are not picking top 10. I am not sold on any of them except Stroud. Once again, a vet that we can count on for more than two years would allow us to wait until next year to get a QB if JD does not like this years crop.

13 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Lamar Jackson is a better option. All things being equal I’d choose him over Rodgers mainly because of age obviously. Rodgers for as little compensation as possible is my #1 choice. 

Let me be clear, none of this is enticing to me. But I don’t run the organization. 

So you'd rather trade 3 FRPs+ hand Lamar Jackson something similar to what the Browns gave Watson for him to play in 75% of the games?

12 hours ago, GangGreen420 said:

If your thinking about only the next 1-2 years then Rodgers is the best option.

It would be short sighted and give up 13+ for a 1-2 year rental to make the playoffs 

The Jets were 2 games out of the playoff mix and that's with their 6 game losing streak to end the season.  They're a playoff team with Rodgers.  Do you think the Jets are going to magically get over that hump with another year of Zach Wilson or Mike White as their QB?

6 hours ago, CWood21 said:

The Jets were 2 games out of the playoff mix and that's with their 6 game losing streak to end the season.  They're a playoff team with Rodgers.  Do you think the Jets are going to magically get over that hump with another year of Zach Wilson or Mike White as their QB?

He has said if it were him he’d rather see us go the Tannehill type route and draft a guy.

Listen I can get not wanting to give away a ton for Rodgers being it’s likely for only 2 seasons and you’re paying him a ton for 2 years after that when he’ll be taking a huge chunk of cap while he’s sitting on the beach in Malibu. I can get that side of the debate all day. Where it misses me is wanting a guy like Tannehill over a guy like Carr then. 

20 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Where it misses me is wanting a guy like Tannehill over a guy like Carr then. 

The debate between all these QB's for each of is is personal.  What I mean by that is that every QB that we have been discussing has warts.  It is just a matter of personal taste what fears the individual more.  As an example, for me, it is Rodgers playing more like 2022 than 2021 AND bailing after one or two years leaving us holding the check.  Thus, I like Carr, Jimmy G, and Tanny better.  You, on the other hand, believe Rodger's 2022 was an anomaly and will lead us to the promised land in a year or two more so than the other QB's.

It is all a matter of personal bias and taste.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CWood21 said:

So you'd rather trade 3 FRPs+ hand Lamar Jackson something similar to what the Browns gave Watson for him to play in 75% of the games?

That’s not what I said. I’m saying Lamar is a better option because he’s younger and more dynamic. But the cost sucks. If I’m forced to give up 13+ for example give me Lamar over Rodgers. But like I said none of the scenarios excite me.

7 hours ago, CWood21 said:

You say this like it’s an endorsement. If we’re assuming all things are equal to last year, they could make the playoffs with Andy Dalton.

50 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

He has said if it were him he’d rather see us go the Tannehill type route and draft a guy.

Listen I can get not wanting to give away a ton for Rodgers being it’s likely for only 2 seasons and you’re paying him a ton for 2 years after that when he’ll be taking a huge chunk of cap while he’s sitting on the beach in Malibu. I can get that side of the debate all day. Where it misses me is wanting a guy like Tannehill over a guy like Carr then

Yes, their identical career QB rating just misses you I guess. Not to mention Tannehill has playoff experience. Carr is not some vastly superior player.

If Rodgers could be had for let’s say a 2nd that turns into a conditional first based on playoff success then I’d be okay with that.

Edited by GangGreen420

My thought is this. 

You NEVER have a franchise QB hit FA. It is extemely rare that a team is willing to trade a franchise QB.

The one that I remember the most was Drew Brees going to the Saints. He had a bad shoulder and some thought he would never be the same. He was all set to go to Miami but they went with Daunte Culpepper. I know Manning went to Denver and people thought he was done. Brady went to Tampa and they thought he was done. Aaron Rodgers falls in the Manning, Brady spot for me. You get a great QB play for 2-3 years. 

Carr is still a young QB that is a top 10 QB in my book. He is 31 and he might have 5-7 good years left in him. Like I said it is VERY rare to have this QB hit the market.

The Jets are VERY lucky that these two are even in the market. Heck if 1 was would be great but 2 is just crazy. 

We have to get one of these guys is all I'm saying. I don't care about draft capital. Look at the 49ers. They have traded away their first round picks until like 2027 or something stupid like that. If you want to win you have to pay. I want to win. This keep rebuild crap is for the birds. We have been in rebuild since 1969 time to move on.