2023 Off-season Talk

Bobby816

46 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

The whole Jet franchise is frozen. right now,  i can't see any type of player movement till they get this QB thing resolved. That is why I don't want this process to drag on. But what choice do we have only sit and wait.

There can't be any player movement until the start of the new league year in a couple of weeks.  So every team is frozen right now.

52 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

The whole Jet franchise is frozen. right now,  i can't see any type of player movement till they get this QB thing resolved. That is why I don't want this process to drag on. But what choice do we have only sit and wait.

Very curious about how long do we actually wait for qb news.

3 hours ago, xrade said:

There can't be any player movement until the start of the new league year in a couple of weeks.  So every team is frozen right now.

Carr can sign whenever. He doesn't have to wait at all.  It's in his best interest to sign before Rodgers is traded because he can leverage more teams against each other. 

1 hour ago, drew39k said:

Carr can sign whenever. He doesn't have to wait at all.  It's in his best interest to sign before Rodgers is traded because he can leverage more teams against each other. 

I mentioned this a bit ago.  Yes, players that were cut can be signed as can players that are traded.  FA's can't because technically they are still on their teams rosters until the start of the league year (March 15).  So Carr and Rodgers can be traded and signed.  The other QB's we have been discussing will have to wait.  

39 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

Just got back from Wal-Mart & Alid's after two hours of shopping.  After shopping I called my wife  from my flip top phone and ask her did we get an QB yet. She said NO & your 13 overall pick in the draft is still safe.

Should've went to Target and HEB and we'd get a better quality QB ;)

8 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Reports are that Carr’s visit went great with us. Seems he had the agenda of regardless wanting to visit several team as and then sit down with his family and decide. So I expect his situation to not be resolved until next week. I assume he goes on at least 1-2 more visits so figure that takes at least a week. But he has said he will decide pre FA so it can help in FA recruiting other players.

Rodgers should announce any day his plans. And we will see how fast that moves. He has said he doesn’t want it to drag out if the situation is a trade. So I expect actually Rodgers to get traded before Carr decides.

Based on his brothers comments it sounds like it went well but there isn't a real offer on the table yet as the Jets are still trying to see if Rodgers is going to be available. 

7 hours ago, doumeyer said:

Just got back from Wal-Mart & Alid's after two hours of shopping.  After shopping I called my wife  from my flip top phone and ask her did we get an QB yet. She said NO & your 13 overall pick in the draft is still safe.

Wait. Flip top phone?

16 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Carr said he wants to have a deal done before the start of free agency.

Ya it's pretty much a given that Carr will sign in the next 2 weeks and f Rodgers wants out he'll be traded in the next 2 weeks. These 2 will want to recruit players in FA and the FO will want a clear picture to sell FAs with who is their QB.

10 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Ya it's pretty much a given that Carr will sign in the next 2 weeks and f Rodgers wants out he'll be traded in the next 2 weeks. These 2 will want to recruit players in FA and the FO will want a clear picture to sell FAs with who is their QB.

The several "reports" I have read indicate that Woody may prefer Rodgers.  However, I think JD will wait to talk to GB and Rodgers before making any sort of offer for either Rodgers or Carr.  Carr is also a top candidate.  In the end, I am confident one of the two will be our QB this year.  I expect something to be done by the end of next week.  That would leave about two weeks before the start of FA.

I am pulling for Carr, but I also think JD would sign Rodgers on a reworked contract that allows the Jets to receive financial relief if he retires.  I can't see JD selling out for Rodgers with his contract as it is currently written and I trust will work his GM juju to remedy that.

Plan C is everyone else.

3 minutes ago, xrade said:

The several "reports" I have read indicate that Woody may prefer Rodgers.  However, I think JD will wait to talk to GB and Rodgers before making any sort of offer for either Rodgers or Carr.  Carr is also a top candidate.  In the end, I am confident one of the two will be our QB this year.  I expect something to be done by the end of next week.  That would leave about two weeks before the start of FA.

I am pulling for Carr, but I also think JD would sign Rodgers on a reworked contract that allows the Jets to receive financial relief if he retires.  I can't see JD selling out for Rodgers with his contract as it is currently written and I trust will work his GM juju to remedy that.

Plan C is everyone else.

We really are playing this thing perfect so far given what we can do. I think the plan A has always been Rodgers. But given the timeline he has set to decide his future and Carr being cut. We've played this perfect. Rodgers goes on his retreat and while on the retreat we bring in Carr and sell him that he is what we want. I highly doubt the name Rodgers was ever brought up over the weekend. They stayed focus on Carr as if he was it. Which is perfect. Carr has never been a FA, so I totally get him wanting to see different situations before deciding. But if winning is what he wants and having guys around him... it's hard to imagine we aren't his front runner.

Rodgers should announce what his plans are any day. I think he asks to be traded. Ideally he specifically says he wants to be traded to the Jets. If that happens... GB loses all it's leverage and we likely have to give up a significantly cheaper package. I just don't see him saying just 1 team as a trade destination and leaving his options open. If he says just us. He's really going all in on a trade to us and if we cant come to terms with GB, he's in essence than forced to retire. Which I don't think he wants to do. I do however think the trade package for him will be less than what GB has "said" they want. Really us and other trade partners set the market for him. JD in his head says there's no way I'm giving up 13 for him and LV offers 7... than you go all in on Carr and up a contract offer and maybe even guarantee us going after a WR for him as well to make us more enticing. At the end of the day I see Rodgers going for a value more of like 2 2nds rounders. And I can sign up for that. But if LV if going all in on him (not sure why they would with an atrocious defense), then we might balk and turn to Carr. Remember LV doesn't have that option to turn to Carr. So they're more likely to go all in for Rodgers than us. Because their backup option after Carr is likely Jimmy G or Tannehill. Which for them is a downgrade/lateral move (IMO) from Carr.

Either way this next week or 2 is GIGANTIC for this franchise. I think there's a slim chance we walk away with any QB other than Rodgers or Carr. Which regardless of who you prefer or don't like the skill, contract, compensation, etc.... is a MASSIVE upgrade for us. We have really never seen a QB that consistently can be good for us. We had a 1 season flash of Fitz awhile back and it was forever ago before that, that we had good QB play. So to say we're starved for a QB is an understatement. If there's a franchise that needs to overpay and go all in on a QB... it's us.

Wouldn't mind going after De'Andre Hopkins of we trade for Rodgers. Obviously if we trade for Rodgers we're going all in. And he's a perfect move to make this offense one of the best in the whole NFL. Hopkins, Wilson, Moore is a nasty 1-3.

Yes I know he's 30 and will be 31 comes Week 1. But with pretty bad QB play (remember Murray was injured mostly when he came back from suspension) he still put up in just 9 games... 64rec 717yds 3tds. Impressive to say the least. Over 17 games that'd be 1,355yds and 6tds. So he still has it. Yes he's not a long term solution... but he's perfect for a mid round pick for a win now team. 

Taken from a 2021 article:

• Brady…worst defense, 2002 with 346 points allowed, 9-7 record.
  • Manning…worst defense, 2001. 486 (!!!) points allowed, 6-10 record. No wonder Jim Mora wasn’t trying to hear it.
  • Rodgers…worst defense, TECHNICALLY it is 2013. That team allowed 428 points. The problem is, Rodgers only played nine games. So I’m defaulting to his second-worst defense in 2008 that had 380 points allowed, 6-10 record.
  • Brees…worst defense, 2015 with 476 points allowed, 7-9 record.
  • Mahomes…worst defense, 2018 with 421 points allowed, 12-4 record. Insane.
  • Roethlisberger…worst defense, 2013 with 370 points allowed. 8-8 record.
  • Ryan…worst defense, 2013 with 443 points allowed. 4-12 record.

First off, a couple of observations. The WORST full season defenses Brady and Roethlisberger have ever had in 37 combined NFL seasons as starting QB’s were STILL BETTER than Derek Carr’s best in 2017. Rodgers’ worst was just a single touchdown worse and that was his rookie year. Peyton Manning had a defense that allowed just eight points more than Carr did in 2020, but lost two more games. What a bum. Whatever…let’s tally those numbers up, carry the four, and we have a total of 2922 points. Over seven years, that’s an average of 417.4 points, or 26 points per game even. Which is STILL better than the 26.5 points per game Derek Carr’s defense has allowed his first seven years.

So you take those seven great QB’s, and with a defense just 1/2 point better than Carr’s, they have a combined record of 52-60. Not very far at all from Carr’s supposedly terrible 47-63 record as a starter (he’s missed two games due to injury). And that’s with a semi-fluky season of Mahomes scoring 565 points while his team allowed 26.3 ppg and winning 12 games. Kind of like Carr’s 2016 season where he was able to offset a poor defense for a single year to win 12 games in his own right.

20 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Wouldn't mind going after De'Andre Hopkins of we trade for Rodgers. Obviously if we trade for Rodgers we're going all in. And he's a perfect move to make this offense one of the best in the whole NFL. Hopkins, Wilson, Moore is a nasty 1-3.

Yes I know he's 30 and will be 31 comes Week 1. But with pretty bad QB play (remember Murray was injured mostly when he came back from suspension) he still put up in just 9 games... 64rec 717yds 3tds. Impressive to say the least. Over 17 games that'd be 1,355yds and 6tds. So he still has it. Yes he's not a long term solution... but he's perfect for a mid round pick for a win now team. 

Obviously depends on Price but Hopkins was playing out of his mind when Kyler was healthy. He's also the same age as Davante Adams who just went for a 1 and 2 last year. If you don't have to pay a lot he's an absolute steal.