2023 Off-season Talk

Bobby816

22 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I believe we can still be done with Uzo after this season with that move. JD is smart. He doesn't move money around for guys he doesn't want around. 

I understand the Uzo thing is very small potatoes.  I am more concerned with moving money around for guys like Tomlinson, Lawson, Duane Brown and players that should be cut as per my previous post.  That is my concern.

Just now, xrade said:

I understand the Uzo thing is very small potatoes.  I am more concerned with moving money around for guys like Tomlinson, Lawson, Duane Brown and players that should be cut as per my previous post.  That is my concern.

Remember Brown said he will be back for 2023. Jets didn't sign him back. Laken after his play I doubt they move his money to extend him longer. Lawson can straight up be cut. But they have to fully believe in JJ and resign Huff.

1 hour ago, KimuraGod said:

@JetsandIwill know better than me but I’m sure we need a certain amount of cap free to do the trade even for just one day.

So these moves will be likely and then once Rodgers is here we can rework his deal so we can go after some free agents and resign our own guys. 

No need to worry about salary cap issue because it almost never happens in real life.    Cap charge is consist of base salary, prorated signing bonus and date marked payable bonus.  Any other than those won't immediately count against the cap at the moment.  Because of that, 58.3m option bonus may not be counted until week 1 so Jets have time to adjust contract(s).

One said Jets have to make room for Rodgers' 60m right away.  I still am not sure about that but trade does affect some certain contractual language.  If that person has read Rodgers' contract somehow then we believe that.  Otherwise, we shouldn't get fussed over it as JD is well prepared for it.   

Problem is that no trade will be an official until the first day of new league year (same day we must get under the cap). Good News, many trades will make to media before they actually affect team's salary cap (legal paperwork progress).    Once physical exam is passed, we will see few moves coming out. 

I still am not sure about cap charge being frozen but last paragraph above should make it pointless.

Saints are able to sign Carr despite them being over the cap is different from Jets acquiring for Rodgers due to official date marking as Carr is free to sign any time because he is released.  Saints still have a lot of works to get under the cap by the first day.

Edited by JetsandI
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Remember Brown said he will be back for 2023. Jets didn't sign him back. Laken after his play I doubt they move his money to extend him longer. Lawson can straight up be cut. But they have to fully believe in JJ and resign Huff.

7 minutes ago, xrade said:

We would expect losing someone anyway.

31 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

@KimuraGod Will understand that my anxiety is through the roof today. Bayern playing PSG at 2:00pm today with a 1-0 lead (luckily an away goal). And waiting on this Rodgers decision.

No Neymar too as he’s out for the season. I fully expect you to win and progress through this round. 

Would be a nice double if both happen tonight for sure!!! 🤞🏻🤞🏻

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

No need to worry about salary cap issue because it almost never happens in real life.    Cap charge is consist of base salary, prorated signing bonus and date marked payable bonus.  Any other than those won't immediately count against the cap at the moment.  Because of that, 58.3m option bonus may not be counted until week 1 so Jets have time to adjust contract(s).

One said Jets have to make room for Rodgers' 60m right away.  I still am not sure about that but trade does affect some certain contractual language.  If that person has read Rodgers' contract somehow then we believe that.  Otherwise, we shouldn't get fussed over it as JD is well prepared for it.   

Problem is that no trade will be an official until the first day of new league year (same day we must get under the cap). Good News, many trades will make to media before they actually affect team's salary cap (legal paperwork progress).    Once physical exam is passed, we will see few moves coming out. 

I still am not sure about cap charge being frozen but last paragraph above should make it pointless.

Saints are able to sign Carr despite them being over the cap is different from Jets acquiring for Rodgers due to official date marking as Carr is free to sign any time because he is released.  Saints still have a lot of works to get under the cap by the first day.

Okay cool. These things will have been arranged I’m sure from the team for the deal to happen. I’m just hoping it’s sooner  than later so we can attack free agency rather than waiting on a Rodgers decision. 

1 minute ago, KimuraGod said:

Okay cool. These things will have been arranged I’m sure from the team for the deal to happen. I’m just hoping it’s sooner  than later so we can attack free agency rather than waiting on a Rodgers decision. 

Yes, they need to get trade in place asap so they can re-strategize on adding/retaining other players.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

Even if Rodgers, wants to be a Jet, this deal will take a week or two. First what do the Packers want for Rodgers, its not what we want to give them it's what they want. So this thinking that we have all the leverage is pure BS.

Highly disagree here. They already have the frame work made out. Most GM's want to know what the trade is before they talk to the player. The deal is in place it is just up to Rodgers and he loves doing this. 

9 minutes ago, Greene N White said:

Anyone else getting nervous lol. If this doesn't get done I think we all know we're pretty screwed next year with Carr gone. Can't imagine how JD/Saleh are feeling.

I know how I am feeling, nervous and jerky.