2023 Off-season Talk

Bobby816

21 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Yes Allen is rare though. Of course small school guys have panned out before. But generally it's not dont often.

Yeah.. None benefits to Jets.

17 minutes ago, xrade said:

Absolutely. In a year or two. Not before. Zach needs at least a year to mature as a QB and a person. In hindsight, he never should have seen the field in year 1. That is on a the coaching staff.  His poor play is in him and the staff. His immaturity is on him. He needs time out of the limelight. 

Yeah.. Wilson has a lot of catching up.

13 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Only good organizations like the Giants would do such a thing.

Jets still have this organization so you can begin to pray hard. I think it is going to be a surprising hire for Jets.

I don't think it's even a possibility but I want Monken. I wanted him as HC in the gase cycle. 

I'm okay with Bevell, intrigued by this Caley guy but have no way to have an actual opinion on it, and interested in both the Eagles coaches. Olsen and Hackett feel like very meh hires. I've not been a fan of Hackett since his Marrone days. He was one of the reasons I was anti Marrone hire.

Edited by Sandwhich2

4 minutes ago, Sandwhich2 said:

I don't think it's even a possibility but I want Monken. I wanted him as HC in the gase cycle. 

I'm okay with Bevell, intrigued by this Caley guy but have no way to have an actual opinion on it, and interested in both the Eagles coaches. Olsen and Hackett feel like very meh hires. I've not been a fan of Hackett since his Marrone days. He was one of the reasons I was anti Marrone hire.

I want/wanted Monken as well so long as he is willing to run Breece a lot. He'd be a great hire. 

Bevell just pulled himself out of OC interviews and wants to stay in Miami apparently. 

5 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I'm just not getting the whole sign an ok vet and let that guy and Wilson battle it out. We just were a borderline playoff team with absolute garbage QB play last year. The team "should" only get better with guys coming back off injury, FA and the draft.

With how bad Wilson has looked, he'd literally have to do a 180 for him to win the starting job. I just cant see it happening. Listen to the words the FO says. It really doesn't matter what "we" want. Woody, Saleh, JD all talking about making QB the main thing for us this off season. Signing a Minshew, Tannehill type isn't that move. They know that and deep down the guys not wanting Carr and such know that too.

What does signing a Minshew, Tannehill type do for us? Probably actually puts us in the playoffs. But not a real threat. Because while they were good enough to get us in. They're not good enough to win us playoff games. All hypothetical. But for me you bring in a better talent than the tier those guys are in. And now you can hang with the big boys. Bc you have an elite D. Should with a bolstered OL and Hall back have a great run game. And all that with actual good QB play (we get a legit QB in here GW is a #1 WR). There's no weakness there. We can hang with BUF, CIN, KC and such. We know our defense can keep us in games. We just can never score to capitalize. A good QB changes that.

We sign an ok vet they beat out Wilson and they have us out in the 1st round and we're then drafting in no mans land. We have trash still with Wilson and a below average vet as our starter. Can a franchise QB be drafted not at the top of the draft? Of course. But doing this route really helps us in no way at QB. And stands little chance of working.

My idea is this. Go sign or trade for a good vet. Not an average one. Carr comes to mind for me. Bc we know he's available and likely wont cost us a ton of draft capital. He gets a guaranteed 3 year deal. He's 31. So that's still him playing in his prime. Obviously now with him, there's no QB competition. He's #1 and Wilson is #2. Wilson sits and learns without pressure. If Carr gets injured (unlikely, guy has only missed 3 starts his whole career). Wilson is next man up. So what I see in turn happening is us as a playoff team and able to compete with the big teams to see how far we can go. Fast forward to the 2024 off season and I cut ties with Wilson. Get whatever we can in a trade for him (probably very little). And now draft a QB in the 2nd-4th round in 2024. Carr still has 2 years left on his deal and is 100% the starter. This allows that young QB to develop and sit and learn for a couple years. Carr is about as durable as it gets as a starter. So the risk of having to play that young guy earlier than you want is small. So now you can do like other teams and develop a guy while still winning and competing for a SB. And if Carr balls out in those 3 years and there's 0 reason to move on from him. That's a great problem to have.

I should clarify I want absolutely NO part of Minshew or Tannehill or some other bang average qb. If we went down that road we should just resign Mike White as I’d actually prefer him to some of the names mentioned. 

Like I have said multiple times. The issue with Carr is the draft capital cost in getting him and the $40m a year he’s on. For $40m I want a game changer at qb. Carr has his numbers but they can be attributed to stat padding and other metrics.

He’s not passed the eye test for me when I have watched him (admittedly that’s not often) and he’s never shown playoff calibre ability. All these guys can look good when the games not on the line. 

For the deals involved I would go after Lamar but if we went for a cheaper alternative then I don’t see enough difference between giving Mike White the full offseason and then the Jimmy G/Carr scenarios.

1. Trade two first round picks plus a $40m a year deal for Lamar

2. Sign Jimmy G to a $20-25m a year deal

3. Sign Mike White to a modest $7-10m a year contract.

4. Trade a second or multiple mid rounders for Carr and his $40m deal. 

Out of the four options how would you rank them?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KimuraGod said:

I should clarify I want absolutely NO part of Minshew or Tannehill or some other bang average qb. If we went down that road we should just resign Mike White as I’d actually prefer him to some of the names mentioned. 

Like I have said multiple times. The issue with Carr is the draft capital cost in getting him and the $40m a year he’s on. For $40m I want a game changer at qb. Carr has his numbers but they can be attributed to stat padding and other metrics.

He’s not passed the eye test for me when I have watched him (admittedly that’s not often) and he’s never shown playoff calibre ability. All these guys can look good when the games not on the line. 

For the deals involved I would go after Lamar but if we went for a cheaper alternative then I don’t see enough difference between giving Mike White the full offseason and then the Jimmy G/Carr scenarios.

#1 so far ahead of the rest of the options.

So far ahead that I can't even rank the rest because I find them all not very interesting. I'd be interested in Carr as a FA or for a later round pick but definitely not for significant draft capital .

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KimuraGod said:

#4 without a trade

#1. no action required.

2 minutes ago, Sandwhich2 said:

Going to be unpopular to say but if Rodgers stays in GB I think Love might be a worthwhile shot to take. At least there's upside there to warrant trading a pick.

I would give him a shot if MLF stayed.  Now, we don't know who will be OC. 

1 minute ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Idk I think we need the Defense Wins Championships content. 

Lol that guy was toxic. Jetskid was a smart guy who knew ball and also had a source so it waa cool having him here. Unfortunately he let his temper get the best of him.

35 minutes ago, KimuraGod said:

Option 5 - Sign Carr as a FA.

If it is just those 5 options, I’d go 5,2.