2023 Off-season Talk

Bobby816

Anyone who’s still under contract a team is going to talk like there there’s still. As they should. But all it takes is contract talks to go sour and the door opens. I’ll continue to say that I’m not on team go get Jackson. Not bc I don’t think he’s great. But I don’t want to give up 2 1st and pay him a ton with his playing style.

Far too many core young guys failed, regressed or struggled under MLF.

Wilson(struggled), Moore(struggled), Mims(struggled), Becton(MLF threw him under the bus from the start), Carter(regressed).

Guys like AVT, G Wilson and Breece are blue chips, likely succeeding almost anywhere. But the guys who needed to be coached up, utilized a certain way, etc…he failed them and failed them badly.

22 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

We don’t need to rush anything. But we do need to get an OC and have a game plan at QB sooner rather than later. We wait and we could be the team left behind in the OC and QB market. 

Competition is heating up. A guy like Brian Johnson is intriguing and then you see the Ravens and Lamar need an OC and he seems like a natural fit.

Chargers and Herbert, ideal for a guy like Joe Brady.

Those are my top 2 guys and both have better options atm.

20 minutes ago, Heymangold said:

From what I’ve gathered today between wilson reacting poorly to “tough love” to Moore whining about lafluer to carr being “coached hard” is that everyone is too soft.

I think it’s more about reaching these guys and helping them. The approach might be considered soft but it’s all about getting the best out of them. It’s one thing if a guy isn’t putting in the work but Moore, Wilson, etc…didn’t exhibit work ethic issues, MLF needed to do a better job of reaching them. 

6 hours ago, Heymangold said:

From what I’ve gathered today between wilson reacting poorly to “tough love” to Moore whining about lafluer to carr being “coached hard” is that everyone is too soft.

Of course they are. I have said this for years. Far too soft mentally. It’s why this year we bottled it. 

My coach was ex military and he once threatened to shoot me during a HT team talk. This was in a game we were comfortably winning.

The culture of social media and people not being able to take criticism spirals throughout. Not just in sports. 

Mike Tyson’s quote says it best. 

Social media made y'all way to[o] comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it."

• Like 1

15 hours ago, KimuraGod said:

Lol. Be careful what you guys wish for. You don’t want Lamar. Fair enough. Let’s see how he does next year and see what dross we roll out AGAIN 😂😂

I don't care how good Lamar might be I want nothing to do with him. He will NEVER play 17 games which means he will probably miss playoff games. Then you add the fact if you force him to throw the ball he is not that good at all. Then you add the fact his knee and his legs have some good miles on them. Then it will cost you several first round picks and 40 mill a year. 

I have noticed a lot of people are putting Aaron Rodgers with the Jets. aaron said he still can be MVP of the league with the right team. 

4 hours ago, KimuraGod said:

Of course they are. I have said this for years. Far too soft mentally. It’s why this year we bottled it. 

My coach was ex military and he once threatened to shoot me during a HT team talk. This was in a game we were comfortably winning.

The culture of social media and people not being able to take criticism spirals throughout. Not just in sports. 

Mike Tyson’s quote says it best. 

Social media made y'all way to[o] comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it."

Ya all these guys coming up and stuff are from the generation that you got a trophy even for participating. They were babied and put on a pedestal by their parents, coaching staff and such.

I have 2 friends that are Head soccer coaches on LI and I love the philosophy they teach their kids (they're brothers). They tell their kids (from a young age in youth camps) to play as many sports as they can. Try out for everything. Not only does it make you a more well rounded athlete learning different sports. But it's also good for kids and teenagers to realize that they wont be great at everything. You might be a stud at football, but maybe a bench player that rarely plays for the basketball team. And that humbles kids from a young age.

I fully support this bc it was the way I did things growing up. Made me a very good athlete. And while I was good at soccer, baseball and football... I was barely good enough to make the team in basketball. I was just above average for hockey and lacrosse. I loved playing them all. I didn't just gravitate to what I was good at. As I got closer to college I wound up only playing the 2 sports I was good at, but that was for scholarship reasons so I wouldn't get hurt. But I was already humbled by knowing I wasn't going to be great at everything and was a well rounded athlete.

This also helped when I did go to college for sports to be ok with not starting right away and earning my spot. Some of these kids have never been benched in their life. So going to college and the NFL and being humbled can shock them.

This is also why I value bigger school players. A player from Bama for example that was a 5 star and a stud his whole life, likely didn't start as a true freshman or maybe even as a sophomore. He got that eye opening experience before going to the NFL. All while still playing NFL talent daily in practice and in games.

12 hours ago, Heymangold said:

Agreed to an extent. Most guys are babies or divas who whine when they don’t get their way. But McDaniels is a ****** who thinks he’s BB. Doesn’t mean Carr is soft. 

There’s also a difference with struggling with tough love to asking for a trade because they don’t get their way. My mental health and psyche is way stronger in my 30s than straight out of college. Not saying I’d be a diva and ask for a trade but I tended to shut down with criticism. Now I’m able to embrace it and learn. 

Coaches would do better if they had a little background in psychology.