It's absurd a team as horrible as the Packers almost made the playoffs

Towerbridge

13 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

lol Packers were 13th in the NFL in point differential. Four teams with worse point differentials made the playoffs FFS so pretty ****ty look for OP to single them out. 

Just consider the source and don't bother. Between him and that penguin dude they cant wait to kick a team when they're down/lose or whatever.

It's a losers mentality and why I think there should be a certain criteria in being able to start threads lol

Edited by Chiefs_5627

10 minutes ago, WheatieMan said:

With #5 and #6 seeds winning as often as they have in the past 20 years, I think #7 was probably appropriate. They have to stop there though. 16 teams would be going full NBA or NHL. Keep a single bye team and make it mean something to earn that bye. I don't think they'll go to 8 teams per conference any time soon.

In fairness, nobody complains about the NHL playoffs having that and their playoffs are generally very well regarded. 

15 minutes ago, Forge said:

In fairness, nobody complains about the NHL playoffs having that and their playoffs are generally very well regarded. 

Then again, nobody watches the NHL. Teams get a point for OT losses. Plus with the salary cap, it's tough producing run away teams like you have in MLB and NHL, so 8 teams is perhaps justified there. In the NBA, that's a league that's geared towards playoffs only with the added gimmick of the mini-play in playoff. MLB is now like the NFL with two bye teams in each league. Not sure how I feel about MLB's new format, but I suppose it doesn't devalue the season any more than the previous 4 team setup. We will see how much the bye becomes an advantage once we are 15-20 years into it. By then, it will be 14-16 teams in each conference qualifying for some post season.

Edited by WheatieMan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, WheatieMan said:

Then again, nobody watches the NHL. Teams get a point for OT losses. Plus with the salary cap, it's tough producing run away times like you have in MLB and NHL, so 8 teams is perhaps justified there. In the NBA, that's a league that's geared towards playoffs only with the added gimmick of the mini-play in playoff. MLB is now like the NFL with two bye teams in each league. Not sure how I feel about MLB's new format, but I suppose it doesn't devalue the season any more than the previous 4 team setup. We will see how much the bye becomes an advantage once we are 15-20 years into it. By then, it will be 14-16 teams in each conference qualifying for some post season.

I don't think the playoffs is hte reason nobody watches the NHL and that's irrelevant to producing entertaining playoffs,  which the NHL is typically considered to do. 

50 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

The NFL should be downsized to 4 teams total, and only 1 makes the playoffs. Who makes it isn’t determined by win-loss, but instead off of towerbridge’s eye test.

Only way that seems fair tbh

Team 1: AFC Horizontals (AFCE and AFCW)

Team 2: AFC Verticals (AFCN and AFCS)

Team 3: NFC Horizontals

Team 4: NFC Verticals

Ranking the teams:

(1) AFC Horizontals (champs)

(2) NFC Horizontals

(3) AFC Verticals

(4) NFC Verticals

We could take away seeding priority from division winners and make it even harder for one with a losing record to even make the Super Bowl.

If that was done this year Tampa Bay would be opening at San Francisco where they were blown out earlier this year.

In full here are what the first round games would be without seeding priority for division winners.

Miami at Buffalo

Jacksonville at Cincinnati

Baltimore at LA Chargers

Tampa Bay at San Francisco

Seattle at Minnesota

NY Giants at Dallas

23 minutes ago, pf9 said:

We could take away seeding priority from division winners and make it even harder for one with a losing record to even make the Super Bowl.

If that was done this year Tampa Bay would be opening at San Francisco where they were blown out earlier this year.

I like this idea, but don’t highjack. Make your own thread on this I think there’d be some quality discussion.