It's absurd a team as horrible as the Packers almost made the playoffs

Towerbridge

22 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

He didn’t say it had never happened before, just it shouldn’t happen and the ridiculously awkward 14 team field makes it more likely.

Also, I would favour everyone of those teams over this Packers team.

6 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

He didn’t say it had never happened before, just it shouldn’t happen and the ridiculously awkward 14 team field makes it more likely.

Also, I would favour everyone of those teams over this Packers team.

You think Tim Tebow and Brock Osweiler take down this Packer team? Nathan Peterman actually played postseason snaps for the 2017 Bills. In 4 plays he managed to fumble, commit intentional grounding, and throw an interception. It was great.

In all seriousness, I don't even think the Packers would've been the worst team to make it this year, had they made it. The Bucs are easily the more embarrassing inclusion, and they would've made it regardless. The Packers this year would've beaten a number of playoff teams throughout history.

Personally, I don't really care. If the team doesn't belong they'll lose anyway, and nothing of great import is lost in the process.

It's also funny because the team I snuck in there as a joke literally did lose to this Packer team like a week ago.

4 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

You think Tim Tebow and Brock Osweiler take down this Packer team? Nathan Peterman actually played postseason snaps for the 2017 Bills. In 4 plays he managed to fumble, commit intentional grounding, and throw an interception. It was great.

In all seriousness, I don't even think the Packers would've been the worst team to make it this year, had they made it. The Bucs are easily the more embarrassing inclusion, and they would've made it regardless. The Packers this year would've beaten a number of playoff teams throughout history.

Personally, I don't really care. If the team doesn't belong they'll lose anyway, and nothing of great import is lost in the process.

It's also funny because the team I snuck in there as a joke literally did lose to this Packer team like a week ago.

The horrible playoffs team we've had in the past is just another reason why we didn't need to add more team playoffs, but money before quality of the product of course....

29 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

But it would have been even worse those years if two additional teams made the playoffs. 

Actually, in most of those cases, the teams listed were division winners, so the 7th team that just missed out was normally actually a much better football team. Like, 2014 would've put in the 10-6 Eagles, who were much better than the 7-8-1 Panthers that year. The NFC South was just trash, so Panthers got the division win. Only the older ones listed were wildcards, and that's because the AFC was just kind of a struggle for a decade or so there in the 80s and 90s.

Point being, the technicalities of the playoff system leading to the occasional crap team making it in is nothing new. If they don't belong, they'll fall out anyways. But sometimes they give us fun upsets, also. I don't think the expansion was some amazing thing. I also don't really think it hurt anything either. It just kind of is a thing that changed, and some people are kind of melodramatic about the "good ol' days."

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

The 2011 Broncos beat a better team than the Packers in the Steelers, and I assumed we were talking full strength teams so had Tyrod starting for the Bills. Both teams had good rushing attacks, a weakness of the Packers. Plus GB were uninspired and sluggish all season.

The fact they probably lose is the worst part, it means a 12+ win 2 seed has to waste time beating the snot out of the 7 seed, potentially getting season ruining injuries instead of a well-earned bye.

Now they’re playing on Monday too, so one team will be playing off a short week in the second round. It dilutes the product, and was quite obviously cynically done for advertising revenue, combine that with the hypocritical preaching about player safety, and ruining the neat maths, and it’s an awful decision.

Edited by ChazStandard