2023 Green Bay Packers Make Over - You play GM

Old Guy

What would I do?

Easy ones first. Joe Barry. Yes there was improvement late in the season but at that point it was desperation and ultimately too little, too late.

Next the elephant in the room. Have a talk with Rodgers and let him know it's time. I would have traded him last off-season rather than give him that ridiculous deal, but after this season it's definitely over. He can retire or work with him on a trade he is ok with. Idk who the options would be or what the package looks like but I'd expect whoever is willing thinks he can be MVP numbers and with GB eating the signing bonus already, his cap number for a new team is probably reasonable. There should be an ok return.

Then we look at the roster.

I don't know where the cap numbers make sense and tbh I have no idea whose contracts are up but Dean Lowry and Preston Smith aren't guys I want to bring back on defense. I'd be looking to add pass rushers, Center fielder type FS, and as always DL.

On offense, I believe Lazard is a FA. I'd probably let him walk unless it's on a pretty low deal. He's nice as a #3-4 but just too athletically limited. I have no interest in bringing Cobb back either. Looking to add to the youth movement here. I bring back Marcedes Lewis back as long as he wants but I want better than Tonyan as a receiving TE. At OL mostly I am good with seeing how what we have develops and adding some more mid round picks like they always do. At RB we keep Jones but maybe see if we can do something about his cap number.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Have you followed his relationship with his family event the least bit? lol

actually yes, and know his father quite well.

I live in Chico CA where he grew up, and i see his father regularly.

fun fact: Rodgers' high school football team are... the Vikings!

Edited by vike daddy

19 minutes ago, spilltray said:

What would I do?

Easy ones first. Joe Barry. Yes there was improvement late in the season but at that point it was desperation and ultimately too little, too late.

Next the elephant in the room. Have a talk with Rodgers and let him know it's time. I would have traded him last off-season rather than give him that ridiculous deal, but after this season it's definitely over. He can retire or work with him on a trade he is ok with. Idk who the options would be or what the package looks like but I'd expect whoever is willing thinks he can be MVP numbers and with GB eating the signing bonus already, his cap number for a new team is probably reasonable. There should be an ok return.

Then we look at the roster.

I don't know where the cap numbers make sense and tbh I have no idea whose contracts are up but Dean Lowry and Preston Smith aren't guys I want to bring back on defense. I'd be looking to add pass rushers, Center fielder type FS, and as always DL.

On offense, I believe Lazard is a FA. I'd probably let him walk unless it's on a pretty low deal. He's nice as a #3-4 but just too athletically limited. I have no interest in bringing Cobb back either. Looking to add to the youth movement here. I bring back Marcedes Lewis back as long as he wants but I want better than Tonyan as a receiving TE. At OL mostly I am good with seeing how what we have develops and adding some more mid round picks like they always do. At RB we keep Jones but maybe see if we can do something about his cap number.

Whos-gonna-tell-him GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

3 hours ago, LacyIsGood said:

Tom and Yosh seem like they are too finesse for RT, unless that weak side/strong side isn’t a thing anymore.

I like Tom as the swing guy, then LT after Bahk is done.  I wouldn’t sleep on Walker or Caleb Jones at RT.

3 hours ago, 15412 said:

Jones has potential, but I really like Walker.

Luke Tenuta, another UDFA, was active the last few games over both of those guys as an FYI. Dude is big, 6'8 325. 

This team is going to have to be a lot tougher.  Teams that come in and punch the Packers in the mouth usually win.

I'm not sure MLF is the guy to change that.  His teams are soft.  Keeping Barry is just attaching an anchor to MLFs leg.  Its his call but it's going to take him down.

3 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

This team is going to have to be a lot tougher.  Teams that come in and punch the Packers in the mouth usually win.

I'm not sure MLF is the guy to change that.  His teams are soft.  Keeping Barry is just attaching an anchor to MLFs leg.  Its his call but it's going to take him down.

Reading a comment that calls this team soft usually triggers me, as it has here. My thoughts are that when a team is called soft, it's always a lazy take that fails to address any of the problems on that team......and what is more, a team that is very successful is never called soft. When the Packers had three 13 win seasons, was anyone in the media calling them soft ?

Level of talent on the team can cause a team to look 'soft', so can talent on the coaching side, along with the scheme that is run. For example, was the defense soft early in the year, or was it Barry's scheme of sitting back rather passively and blitzing often, with poor results ? When he shifted (or was forced to shift) to a more aggressive coverage style, but with less blitzing, the defense played a lot better. So that looks like its more about Barry's scheme............ and NOT the players.

Also, teams have an identity that changes every year, a combination of many things (see McCarthy's reference to each year the team having a somewhat different dynamic). The Packers in the last 30 odd years, have generally looked more like a disciplined finesse team, than an undisciplined, penalty-giving bunch of freelancers.

I have to applaud many Packers players for being anything but soft. Lazard is one of the toughest blocking receivers out there, and other receivers do their share as well. Cobb is certainly courageous for a 32 year old lightly built guy, catching passes over the middle. Marcedes Lewis is as tough a blocker as you could ever wish to find. Alexander always challenges any receiver he goes against and I'd never call Douglas soft. Clark can split double teams and shove O linemen into the QB and Wyatt has looked good as he got more snaps. Quay Walker is bordering too aggressive at times. Bakhtiari and Jenkins do their share on the left side of the line and Runyan is solid as a right guard.

Teams that try to punch the Packers in the mouth usually end up with a lot of penalties that kill them, but if you're not counting the teams that lose to the Packers doing that (and I'm betting you are not), then you are bound to have a one-sided view.

One last point about the Packers O line. For years, I think the Packers have tended to emphasis good pass blockers over good run blockers (it is very hard to get both at a high level in one player). When you have a QB like Rodgers who can do tremendous things when given enough time, it makes perfect sense to draft players that help in giving him that time. That's just another facet of drafting players that fit the identity of what the Packers have been for ages.

• Like 1