2023 Green Bay Packers Make Over - You play GM

Old Guy

Cha-Cha-Cha-Changes are on the horizon. How do you make over the 2023 version of the Green Bay Packers? 

Love to hear some thoughts on what people think we should do. Kind of busy at work right now but may post a few thoughts myself when I get time. Spoiler alert, my makeover does not include Aaron Rodgers and I don't' think we get any draft return for him either. 

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 1

We return the o-line.  That's a start.

We return our DL..maybe minus Reed and Lowry.  But I'd like Reed back or another like him.  Could be Slayton.

We need another EDGE rusher...either via FA or draft.

We really need a safety, maybe two.  Salvage is not a safety, he's now a corner.    Not sure that I wouldn't entertain trading Stokes for a proven EDGE on a rookie deal (if there is a willing partner).

But really, we have two issues.  DC and QB.

MLF needs to have stones to move on from Barry and hire an aggressive DC.

And we need to move on from Rodgers.  Or he needs to train in the off-season on his footspeed/core strength while throwing to Doubs, Toure and Watson.

• Like 2

Mostly agree with @vegas492

Regarding the O line, Newman looks marginal, emergency backup at best. G Sean Rhyan needs to be pushed. Not only was he not good in his rookie year, he also got suspended for drugs. He must have talent, but what he needs is committment. Nijman got somewhat abused at RT (and was substituted by Tom), but I don't give up on him for one bad game. Tom looks like he might be very valuable with a little more weight on him. Bakhtiari looks like he'll be back given his contract and his play when healthy. Jenkins is a keeper who has just signed a nice contract. Myers seems.......just average. I thought he was going to more than that from his rookie year, but unless he was a bit banged up this season (unreported) he was decent but no more. Next year will tell us if that was the case. I do think one of Nijman or Tom is the RT next year (unless Elgton Jenkins slides back in there).

On the D line it does look like Wyatt replaces Lowry for a more explosive presence. In the past, I wasn't all-in on losing Lowry, but with Wyatt and Slaton's recent play, I now think you can move on from him. Clark and Reed are the veteran players. Rookie Jonathan Ford is an unknown 6'5", 338lb big guy at this time, he'll get another year, but the Packers could do with another Wyatt type, if the right guy is there in the draft.

One Edge, one Safety, one good TE (and maybe even a second one late) are all in play...............and so is a RB, if Jones moves on due to that $20m cap hit (just maybe he can renegotiate for a manageable year in 2023, but I don't believe there is any way that cap hit stays, one way or the other).

So, Edge, TE and Safety early - or a DL instead of one of these, if there is a good one.

I think I'd look to trade down maybe 10 spots from that first round pick, if it netted another 2nd rounder, which could allow the Packers to get FS, Edge, TE and DL all in the first three rounds. If pushed for a more specific order, maybe Edge in the first, then DL and TE in the second (assuming a trade-down in the first round) and a Safety with a 3rd. Fill in the rest with another OG, RB, LB, WR..................and if Rodgers is gone, a backup QB.

The Packers might be in need of a kicker - let's see if Crosby wants to stay another year.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

A new DC for starters and get our run blocking Oline better. QB who the hell knows what goes on there i can't fathom that as an arm chair GM. But the D has plenty of pieces, we showed that against MN and then played a soft zone style again all day yesterday. Barry has no parts to bring the D to the O. He sits back and waits. Hoping for a mistake, plays to much off coverage and doesn't mix up anything. He's a nice guy, but he's gotta go. Yesterday was the final nail for me. 

• Like 1

1. Let the Love era begin. Rodgers is out! 

2. Fire Barry.

3. Trim the fat. Rebuild starts 2023. Cut all expensive older players with big contracts. Smith, Amos, Jones. Campbell, Lowry, Crosby.

4. Extend Gary, Nixon, Lazard, Ford, Kenny. Bring back Reed, Tonyan, Yosh on cheap deals. 

5. Like Ted sign younger cheap players with upside and hope you hit.

6. Hit in the draft. LT, EDGE, DL, RB, LB, OL.

Edited by St Vince

I'll do a second mock offseason ready before the Super Bowl. But a couple brief ideas on how to move forward:

1. Rodgers did not have a single 300 yard passing game this year. I remember Peyton's last season. Brees' last season. Ryan this year. Sometimes when they're done they're just done, and it happens quick. Move on. It's over. If he doesn't retire, tell him you'll trade him to a warm-weather AFC team like LV or TEN.

2. If Rodgers is gone, move on from Tonyan, Cobb, Bakh, Amos and Crosby. Trade Bakh, let Crosby retire or move to a warmer place, and let the other two hit free agency.

3. Re-sign Nixon, Lazard, Ford and Hollins. Tag Yosh with low tender for RFA.

4. Several competent starting tight ends and safeties are scheduled to hit free agency. Grab one of each. Also sign a competent backup QB with starting experience, such as Dalton, Bridgewater or Minshew, to back up Love.

5. Extend Gary if it works out. Otherwise save it for midseason. Do not let him get away.

6. Target Edge or OL in the first round, add WR/TE/S/DL to the positions to target in rounds 2-4.

Edited by Sandy

1. Trade Rodgers to the Jets or Raiders for a 1st and mid round picks. The dead cap we'll have to eat adds trade value for team receiving Rodgers

2. Originally plan to keep Bakh so Love has a chance with a decent OL in front of him. If a team calls offering a late 1st for Bakh, jump on the opportunity.

3. Hire Leonard or any defensive assistant from the niners coaching tree

4. With 3 1st rounds picks in the draft, draft Edge, OL, DL in any order

Eat all the dead cap from Rodgers and Bakh next year and head into 2024 ready to compete with Love and a dominant front 7. 

5 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

uh huh... and the accepting team would take on his massive contract and trade away high picks, to have him non-motivated, non-involved, and off his game?

you bet, great deal for them. not.

I wasn't being rude, neither should you.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sandy said:

I wasn't being rude, neither should you.

no rudeness meant, man, no need for you to take it that way.

no insults thrown. no accusations made.

my point remains that trading Rodgers and his large contract, with his declining ability and attitudes, is not a slam dunk.

• Like 1