2023 Green Bay Packers Make Over - You play GM

Old Guy

Rodgers represents a conundrum to the FO. On one hand he is the greatest obstacle to moving forward. OTOH he is the greatest backstop to going backwards. So by keeping him, you're guaranteed to get no better, or no worse. A conundrum. 

IMHO, in the end they need to move on from Rodgers. They should have done that last year! 8-9 or 9-8 next year is not a good idea. Stuck in the middle of the draft order, frozen in mediocrity. No good. Been there; done that. 

Other posters have identified legitimate areas of need, but Rodgers is the big issue. What they choose to do will reveal all anyone needs to know about the FO and MLF.

1 hour ago, St Vince said:

1. Let the Love era begin. Rodgers is out! 

2. Fire Barry.

3. Trim the fat. Rebuild starts 2023. Cut all expensive older players with big contracts. Smith, Amos, Jones. Campbell, Lowry, Crosby.

4. Extend Gary, Nixon, Lazard, Ford, Kenny. Bring back Reed, Tonyan, Yosh on cheap deals. 

5. Like Ted sign younger cheap players with upside and hope you hit.

6. Hit in the draft. LT, EDGE, DL, RB, LB, OL.

everyone except for Clark was mentioned by surname, so, weird.

Drafting a LT looks unlikely with Tom and Nijman and Bakhtiari there (and Jenkins, if the Packers want to shift him over). So no LT.

You never mentioned two of the most urgent needs in point 6, TE and S. The Packers need both. Some people might not have put RB as a need (but you did). If Jones is let go due to his $20m, cap hit (he's either let go or he re-negotiates his contract to lessen the hit in 2023), that is a real need.

I'm no capologist, but isn't Campbell un-cuttable due to the dead cap hit ?

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

2 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Other posters have identified legitimate areas of need, but Rodgers is the big issue. What they choose to do will reveal all anyone needs to know about the FO and MLF.

The front office and MLF already made this decision.   They gave AR the terrible contract last year and gave him all of the control going forward.   If they reverse that decision already less than 12 months later, it shows their incompetence. 

They need to pull a rabbit out of their hat because they put up a huge obstacle to this organization going forward while not understanding the on-going talent level of the roster.   They went forward for 1 more shot with an injured OL, rookie WR's, and Joe Barry as defensive coordinator killing any opportunity to have a real SB run.   The only way Rodgers contract makes any sense is if it led to a SB title.

With how they mis-read the situation they should be on a very hot seat right now before one even looks at draft pick performance and coaching performance in front of big games.

Just now, hitnhope said:

The front office and MLF already made this decision.   They gave AR the terrible contract last year and gave him all of the control going forward.   If they reverse that decision already less than 12 months later, it shows their incompetence. 

They need to pull a rabbit out of their hat because they put up a huge obstacle to this organization going forward while not understanding the on-going talent level of the roster.   They went forward for 1 more shot with an injured OL, rookie WR's, and Joe Barry as defensive coordinator killing any opportunity to have a real SB run.   The only way Rodgers contract makes any sense is if it led to a SB title.

With how they mis-read the situation they should be on a very hot seat right now before one even looks at draft pick performance and coaching performance in front of big games.

I think their decision could change .. Love improved and Rodgers declined.  They missed the playoffs.  They have serious cap issues.  I think most folks thought we'd be a super bowl contender once again, but it didn't work out.  I wanted them to move on from Rodgers last year, but there was a case to be made for keeping him.  I think they would be silly to double down again.  We'll see what they do soon enough.  Pulling for Love Time!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think their decision could change .. Love improved and Rodgers declined.  They missed the playoffs.  They have serious cap issues.  I think most folks thought we'd be a super bowl contender once again, but it didn't work out.  I wanted them to move on from Rodgers last year, but there was a case to be made for keeping him.  I think they would be silly to double down again.  We'll see what they do soon enough.  Pulling for Love Time!

The ramifications of those decisions are such that they should not be in a position to make the decisions going forward.  They made a dumpster fire out of the QB position when it didn't have to be that way.   All they had to do was stay with the old contract and let the situation play out.

Gute's drafts have been far from inspiring and MLF's coaching performance in big games are other points that support it being time to move on from this leadership group.

Detroit was more motivated to play yesterday.  Detroit played harder.   Detroit played smarter.   Detroit played with more creativity.   They played looser.   They took advantage of the opponent's weakness' while GB did none of the above.  Kind of like SF game last year.   This is the first time I have come down hard on MLF, but he should be embarrassed by his performance yesterday.   

14 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

The ramifications of those decisions are such that they should not be in a position to make the decisions going forward.  They made a dumpster fire out of the QB position when it didn't have to be that way.   All they had to do was stay with the old contract and let the situation play out.

Gute's drafts have been far from inspiring and MLF's coaching performance in big games are other points that support it being time to move on from this leadership group.

Detroit was more motivated to play yesterday.  Detroit played harder.   Detroit played smarter.   Detroit played with more creativity.   They played looser.   They took advantage of the opponent's weakness' while GB did none of the above.  Kind of like SF game last year.   This is the first time I have come down hard on MLF, but he should be embarrassed by his performance yesterday.   

Can't disagree with any of this. The MLF/Rodgers team has shown a dismaying tendency to melt down against high end competition. What the FO (mainly Murphy and Gute) does about this mess will speak volumes. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

everyone except for Clark was mentioned by surname, so, weird.

Drafting a LT looks unlikely with Tom and Nijman and Bakhtiari there (and Jenkins, if the Packers want to shift him over). So no LT.

You never mentioned two of the most urgent needs in point 6, TE and S. The Packers need both. Some people might not have put RB as a need (but you did). If Jones is let go due to his $20m, cap hit (he's either let go or he re-negotiates his contract to lessen the hit in 2023), that is a real need.

I'm no capologist, but isn't Campbell un-cuttable due to the dead cap hit ?

Don't think Tom is big or strong enough to be a permanent solution at LT. His best role is being a swing man until he bulks up. Would like someone ideally with the size and measurables of Nijman but don't think he's the answer either at LT.

Was thinking the replacement for Bakh @15. TE was actually #2 but I forgot to list it. Had RB high because I'm thinking they will move on from Jones if Rodgers is gone, but if they can work his deal to make it more cap friendly I'm all for keeping him. If Campbell is uncuttable that's fine, keep him.

4 minutes ago, St Vince said:

Don't think Tom is big or strong enough to be a permanent solution at LT. His best role is being a swing man until he bulks up. Would like someone ideally with the size and measurables of Nijman but don't think he's the answer either at LT.

Was thinking the replacement for Bakh @15. TE was actually #2 but I forgot to list it. Had RB high because I'm thinking they will move on from Jones if Rodgers is gone, but if they can work his deal to make it more cap friendly I'm all for keeping him. If Campbell is uncuttable that's fine, keep him.

Those two sentences seem to contradict each other. 

Tom has already proven capable of playing either tackle at his current size. If he bulks up, which we all should assume he will this offseason, he's going to be a GREAT LT. You can mark it down. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

no rudeness meant, man, no need for you to take it that way.

no insults thrown. no accusations made.

my point remains that trading Rodgers and his large contract, with his declining ability and attitudes, is not a slam dunk.

My bad, context when reading and such. My apologies for misinterpreting.

Agreed that it's not guaranteed we'd find a partner, but year one the receiving team has a cap hit under $15m, and even if he retires after one season, his $59m could be split across three seasons for that team for cap purposes.

The most important variable, in my opinion, is desperation. Coaches/GMs in Tennessee, New York (Jets), and Las Vegas are probably feeling a little bit of pressure - expectations are set for those teams to have a better season than last year or they can expect to be fired. If any of them convinces themselves that Rodgers can save their job, they'll do it.

• Like 2

Fire Gute. The man gave a masterclass is how to implode a title window. If Love starts next year and we realize he's not the answer it will solidify him as the worst GM we've had in a long time and an all time botch job given the team he had handed to him. Love needs to be a top 5 QB for 5 years to even get close to redeeming the pick

We've got Watson on offense and some young talent on the defense. Aaron Jones fumbles way too often in big moments. Trade everyone you can and completely hard reset. Hope to get a top pick to land the next QB in 2024.

Hopefully some of the young lineman step up as they were embarrassed last night on the interior. Gute drafting Meyers over Creed is yet another one of his failures as a GM. Got cute with it and let the clear number one go to the chiefs. Tom is small but had some solid starts, he hasn't proven to be able to start but there is hope there. 

Going into the year with the skill players we did is inexcusable. Gute needs to GTFO and Barry too. I imagine MLF gets one more year and goes down in the name of love. 

1 hour ago, Sandy said:

My bad, context when reading and such. My apologies for misinterpreting.

Agreed that it's not guaranteed we'd find a partner, but year one the receiving team has a cap hit under $15m, and even if he retires after one season, his $59m could be split across three seasons for that team for cap purposes.

The most important variable, in my opinion, is desperation. Coaches/GMs in Tennessee, New York (Jets), and Las Vegas are probably feeling a little bit of pressure - expectations are set for those teams to have a better season than last year or they can expect to be fired. If any of them convinces themselves that Rodgers can save their job, they'll do it.

I think you might add San Francisco into that equation if the Purdy boy doesn't lead them to a Super Bowl this year. 

Also, it is written in stone that if Rodgers wants to play and it's elsewhere, it will be Vegas. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, PackFan13 said:

Fire Gute. The man gave a masterclass is how to implode a title window. If Love starts next year and we realize he's not the answer it will solidify him as the worst GM we've had in a long time and an all time botch job given the team he had handed to him. Love needs to be a top 5 QB for 5 years to even get close to redeeming the pick

-------------------------------------

Going into the year with the skill players we did is inexcusable. Gute needs to GTFO and Barry too. I imagine MLF gets one more year and goes down in the name of love. 

I always find it strange how two people can see the same events and come to completely different conclusions.

Me, I'm just fine with keeping Gute and LaFleur, though I do think the Packers can upgrade from Barry.  I'd move on from Aaron Rodgers too, if it proves possible. As for a bad GM, in the last 30 years I'd go with Sherman, not a terrible HC but he really WAS an awful GM.

I will agree that the Rodgers contract was a considerable mistake from Gute. I will also concede that LaFleurs playcalling could sometimes look better (though part of that might be Rodgers). Neither of those things are enough for me to want to fire either of them, not at this time.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 1

Among players Ol Rodg has to be dealt with first.  His status is all important, the player as much as the cap ramifications.  
Return, retire, or traded.  That must be known before other big moves can be planned.

But that isn’t the biggest play at hand.  Murph and Gute must be dealt with first.  Who is most responsible for giving the old man that bloated contract?  Murph?  Ask for his resignation.   Gute?  Ask for Murph’s resignation for allowing it.  Either way, Gute gets a hard review.  Likely to return, although likely not if a good replacement is at hand.  Murph gone for sure, possibly Gute.   It was a serious blunder and and obvious one to give Ol Rodg that kind of contract and look what it got us.  Weigh in the opportunity cost of what we lost by not trading him then and it’s a massive error.  Someone(s) must be held accountable.

Decisions must be made on the coaching staff.  If Frenchy returns, which I would expect, every single assistant who did not reach expectations gets canned.  Start with Barry, I don’t care how well the defense played the last few weeks.  I’m looking at the whole year.

I thought giving Rodg the new contract at the time was beyond foolish and reeked of desperation.   It has cost this team dearly in terms of cap and lost draft capitol.  As soon as front office and coaching issues are settled on I would be quietly trying to sell him.  See what potential there is.  You’re going to get a fraction of what he was worth the last go around, but it’s time to move on, begin to take the cap hit while getting as much return as possible.   This team will have to be gutted now but done right could recover fairly quickly.  Had it been done when it should have, there wouldn’t have been this gutting.

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

Those two sentences seem to contradict each other. 

Tom has already proven capable of playing either tackle at his current size. If he bulks up, which we all should assume he will this offseason, he's going to be a GREAT LT. You can mark it down. 

Tom and Yosh seem like they are too finesse for RT, unless that weak side/strong side isn’t a thing anymore.

I like Tom as the swing guy, then LT after Bahk is done.  I wouldn’t sleep on Walker or Caleb Jones at RT.

• Like 2