2023 Offseason Thread

Superduperman

5 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Jakobi Meyers signed with Raiders for 3yrs/$33m. This sets the WR market and it's a lot more reasonable than expected. Hopefully this means we can re-sign Chark without breaking the bank. 

They have a lot of money tied up in WR.  But yeah, I am guessing Chark gets less than that.  Not a lot less but less.  I would like a 2 year 15-20M deal but doubt he signs for that. 

16 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

We re-signed Matt Nelson.  Solid depth at OT, hopefully its a cap friendly deal.  

Considering they didn't tender him, might have re-signed him for less than the tender amount. 

Edited by Louis Friend
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

They have a lot of money tied up in WR.  But yeah, I am guessing Chark gets less than that.  Not a lot less but less.  I would like a 2 year 15-20M deal but doubt he signs for that. 

I'm okay with that as well, anything more and I'd gladly let him walk. 

• Like 1

Restructured Tracy Walkers contract freeing up an additional $5 million. Don't know Reynolds or Anzalones cap hits this season but that five million should cover Buggs and Suttons 2023 cap hits, which means we still should have plenty of cap left before cutting Vaitai/Romeo/etc. 

Now let's re-sign Jamaal and Cominsky. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Restructured Tracy Walkers contract freeing up an additional $5 million. Don't know Reynolds or Anzalones cap hits this season but that five million should cover Buggs and Suttons 2023 cap hits, which means we still should have plenty of cap left before cutting Vaitai/Romeo/etc. 

Now let's re-sign Jamaal and Cominsky. 

I wish we wouldn't push a bunch of money into the future.  Like knowing we will be paying nearly $5M in 2026 for Sutton and he won't be here just doesn't make sense to me.  And this year we have $7M for Chark from last year.  Seems like we should just cut the guys we need to and try to keep as much cap in this year until we absolutely need it.  Just doesn't seem like a smart long term option.  

• Like 1

I understand what you're saying, but IMO dead cap is still dead cap. If we cut guys, we are still paying guys that aren't on the roster. You don't want to tie your hands from making future moves, but Lions have gone into each season with a decent amount of capspace. I'm okay with being creative as long as it's kept to a minimum. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Louis Friend said:

I understand what you're saying, but IMO dead cap is still dead cap. If we cut guys, we are still paying guys that aren't on the roster. You don't want to tie your hands from making future moves, but Lions have gone into each season with a decent amount of capspace. I'm okay with being creative as long as it's kept to a minimum. 

Yeah, dead cap is dead cap but having guaranteed dead cap in 2026 will hinder us then.  The Chark deal last year is part of why we are as tight as we are this year.  Creating dead cap in a year to open more cap space makes more sense than planning to have $10M less in 4 years already.  Its how the Saints got into trouble and don't want to cut our window short by signing mid level guys to contracts that hurt us in the future.  

18 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

*top 5 coverage grade in man #110 (via PFF)

*top 7 coverage grade in zone #81 (via PFF)

*top 3 in PBU in the league #22 (via PFF)

*tied for most PBU+INT in the league (He had 8 PBU's and 3 INT's... most PBU's were 15.. so... 15>11)

*elite tackler in open space (178th ranked at 14.7% missed tackles via PFF)

*called the smartest player on the field by everyone on his own defense

*elite ability to come down and blow up WRs

Elite."

Interestingly enough, Cameron Sutton's salary goes up right after we are done paying Jeff Okudah.  

3 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I wish we wouldn't push a bunch of money into the future.  Like knowing we will be paying nearly $5M in 2026 for Sutton and he won't be here just doesn't make sense to me.  And this year we have $7M for Chark from last year.  Seems like we should just cut the guys we need to and try to keep as much cap in this year until we absolutely need it.  Just doesn't seem like a smart long term option.  

I am not a big fan of contract restructuring either.  They could create a lot cap space by making decisions on Charles Harris, H. VaiTai and Romeo Okwara without creating future dead-cap hits.  We just got out of cap-jail and I would hate to see the Lions start managing the salary cap like the Saints.  That is a recipe for mediocrity.

4 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Giants trade a 3rd for Darren Waller. Great trade for them. 

One less team looking for TE in the draft which is good for the Lions.  Darren Waller was criminally under-used by the Raiders.  He and Daniel Jones will become best-friends really fast.

Edited by Just Want A Title