2023 Offseason Thread

Superduperman

3 minutes ago, Lionized said:

Last minute wish list for the Lions on FA? 
Resigning and signings? 

I think the better question is what positions should be addressed in free agency and what positions should be addressed in the draft. The DT class of this draft isn't strong.  I doubt we will have a shot at Jalen Carter.   Keeanu Benton is a a really clean prospect and might be a little under-rated even now.

Most of the other name players have question marks.  Brian Bresee seems a little more developmental than his hype would indicate. Siaki Ika is a two-down NT.  Gervon Dexter has great triangle numbers but inconsistent tape.  Mazi Smith is big and strong but has never shown the dominance/disruptiveness that you would expect.  Karl Brooks has potential but it is tough to gauge how he would handle the jump from Bowling Green to the NFL (not having a combine invite did not help).  

I think free agency might be a better option for immediate help even if they do re-sign Isiah Buggs.  Adding a 2d or 3rd round pick would add a solid long-term player but not force them into a role for which they aren't prepared.

It looks like all of the chatter about Jalen Ramsey coming to Detroit didn't come to fruition.  I suspect a lot of it was more speculation from folks outside Allen Park.  This makes sense for the Dolphins though.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/03/12/rams-will-trade-jalen-ramsey-to-dolphins-for-hunter-long-and-a-third-round-pick/

2 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

It looks like all of the chatter about Jalen Ramsey coming to Detroit didn't come to fruition.  I suspect a lot of it was more speculation from folks outside Allen Park.  This makes sense for the Dolphins though.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/03/12/rams-will-trade-jalen-ramsey-to-dolphins-for-hunter-long-and-a-third-round-pick/

Sounds like the Lions actually did try to get him but he wanted to go to Miami and they fully guaranteed the remainder of his contact. Can't say I blame him... Not too many people would willingly choose to move to Detroit over Miami.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

Sounds like the Lions actually did try to get him but he wanted to go to Miami and they fully guaranteed the remainder of his contact. Can't say I blame him... Not too many people would willingly choose to move to Detroit over Miami.

Miami Dolphins 2022 Record:  9-8, 2nd place in their division

Detroit Lions 2022 Record:  9-8, 2d place in their division

Not sure how you are holding up Miami as being that much better than Detroit.

11 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

Probably because it’s warmer and no state income tax.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

I meant the appeal of the city as a place to live, not the appeal of the team itself. Not many people are going to choose southeast Michigan over south beach all other things being equal.

Regardless of his reasons by all accounts Jalen wanted to be in Miami, if Detroit was his preferred destination he'd likely be a lion right now as it seems like the Rams were willing to send him wherever he preferred to go and according to all reports the Lions were definitely in the hunt to try to acquire him.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

I am sure that comes with a side dish of red-tide, burning eyes and hurricane flooding.

And I’m sure you would have picked Detroit over Miami, however Ramsey didn’t. People can value warm weather over the cold. Micah Parsons alluded to this a few weeks ago although it was in a dbag way.

Edited by LionArkie
  • Like 1